Top Robotic Process Automation Interview Questions And Answers
Top Answers to Robotic Process Automation Interview Questions
|Criteria||Robotic Process Automation||Traditional Automation|
|Technology||Non-intrusive, scalable & versatile||Intrusive, less scalable & not versatile|
|Interface||Mimics human action||Relies on coding & APIs|
Robotic process automation (RPA) is a type of software that is used to do automation of fundamental tasks in software applications like how a human performs it. The software robot can be trained for a workflow/process with different steps & application. It could be for example, taking received forms, sending a receipt message, checking the forms for completeness, documenting the form in a folder and updating a spreadsheet with the form name, the date recorded, etc. RPA programming is intended to diminish the weight of monotonous, straightforward tasks/work on workers.
- Blue Prism
- Automation Anywhere
- Work Fusion
There are 4 different phases in RPA lifecycle-
- Analysis – Identification of business process for RPA development occurs
- Development of Bot – Fulfillment of requirements
- Testing phase – Quality checks are performed
- Deployment & Maintenance – Bot is deployed and maintained by the team.
- Install UiPath Studio on the system you want to automate processes.
- The robot key from orchestrator is taken to Provision the machine & entering it into the Robot Configuration board and furthermore the Configuration URL which you will find in the Admin area of Orchestrator
- Publish your procedure except if you simply need to utilize your current procedure
- Create environment
- Make release of process
- Start job
Workflows are small pieces of common automation that are reusable and applicable in multiple scenarios. They are used to automate similar processes. You can invoke a workflow using “Invoke Workflow” function in UiPath and save it as a template. You can also combine two workflows to make it combined automation.
Citrix automation is used to automate process such as filling fields in form and submitting the form in a virtual desktop application. You can use processes such as data entry form filling using Citrix automation.
Bot creator tools such as Automation anywhere or UiPath is used to create bots which are used to automate processes or tasks. To create a bot –
- Record a task
- Complete the bot implementation
- Test the bot
- Upload the bot to perform the automation tasks
|Core competency||Used in Front end||Facilitates scalability with next-gen integration||Continuous learning & enhance process automation|
|Used in||Repetitive and rule based tasks||Complex, scalable process||Manages fuzzy rules|
|Example||HR administration. Procure-to-pay, quote-to-cash||Enterprise wide automation. Only minimal maintenance is needed.||Learns from real time, extracting languages from the given data.|
- Banking – Automation of credit card applications in bank, loan processing
- Retail – Update orders, manage fake accounts, process shipping notifications
- Telecommunication – Monitor subscriber feeds, fraud management and customer data updates
- HR – Candidate sourcing, Background verification, payroll automation.
- Efficiency of the tasks is improved
- Tasks are performed quick and without errors
- Increase in productivity
- Cost saving
- Turnaround time is decreased
Screen scraping is an essential component of RPA toolkit, it is used to capture bitmap data from the screen and cross verifies it with stored information to decipher it.
- Works on application elements that are not accessible through code or UI frameworks.
- Text digitization through Optical character recognition (OCR).
- Easy to implement & mostly accurate.
|Learns and enhances itself from the repetitive process||Does not learns from the repetitive process|
|Can act Autonomously||Cannot act autonomously|
|Responds to external stimuli and reprograms itself||Does not respond to external stimuli.|
|Highly secured automation||Security is not a high priority here|
- Modular automation framework
- Keyword driven framework
- Hybrid automation framework
- Data driven framework
- Enterprise applications such as ERP Solutions (SAP)
- RPA tools – In any environment such as Citrix, web or desktop
- RPA Platform – Scheduling, distributing & monitoring the execution of software bots.
- RPA Execution Infrastructure
- Configuration management
|Thin client||Thick client|
|Does not run on local machine, runs on virtual client/server architecture.||Directly installed in local machine itself.|
|Eg.vmvare, virtualbox||Eg. Any apps like notepad, browser etc..|
- Limitations to tasks like decision making or judgmental tasks.
- It is not a cognitive computing solution rather learns through experience only
- Might be error prone if subjected to new environment without experience
- Cost of implementation is higher across the industry for RPA.
Flow switch (aka) Flow decision is a flowchart specific activity that splits the control flow into two or more branches based on conditions. Whichever condition is satisfied, that task is executed.
- Core activities – for automation process
- Cognitive activities – for language translations
- Credential activities – for enabling the adding & deleting of credentials
- Database activities – for executing queries, transactions
- Excel activities – for automating MS Excel tasks
- FTP activities – for performing functions in FTP server
- Intelligent OCR activities – for digitization and scraping
- Mail activities – for working with IMAP, POP3, SMPT, Outlook
- PDF activities – for data extraction from PDF
- Python activities – for invoking python scripts and methods
- Terminal activities – for retrieving data from terminal
- Web activities – for performing SOAP and HTTP request to any web APIs
- Word activities – for automating activities in MS Word
- Basic recording
- Desktop recording
- Web recording
- Citrix recording
|Programming language||Uses C#||Uses VB|
|Control room/dashboard||Client based server (app based)||UiPath orchestrator (web based)|
|Cost||Higher cost of acquiring & using||Lower cost of development|
- Selecting the right RPA tool
- Selecting the right framework
- Various items such as In scope and Out scope based on task
- Test environment
- Identification of deliverables
RPA does not have compatibility issues, they can be simply enabled in existing organization’s infrastructure to keep in phase. It can be modified, and it is flexible enough to make it aligned easily with the organization.
Single Block Activity (aka) Sequence is a small project used for linear processes. They enable us to go from one activity to another activity in the flow manner, acts as a single block activity. It is reused when needed for automations as individual or as part of state machine.
Assign activity is generally used to assign a value or output to a variable. It can be used inside loop, array. Delay activity is used to delay or pause the automation for a particular duration.
When the Robots and applications run on the same machine, we can use UI Automation. It can integrate directly with the technology behind the application to trigger events, identify elements and getting the data. There are 3 types such as-
- Desktop automation
- Image automation
- Background automation
UiPath uses selectors that stores attributes of a graphical user interface element and its parents as a shape of XML fragment. Selectors are automatically generated. A selector has the following structure:
It is a type of automation that uses finite number of states in its execution. Only when an activity is triggered it enters a state, and it exits the state when another activity is triggered. The activities of state machine are Entry, Exit and Transitions.
To create an argument –
- In the designer panel, click arguments. The argument panel is displayed.
- Click on Create argument line.
To remove argument –
- In the Arguments panel, select an argument or right click on the argument and press Delete.
There are two different types of Logs –
- Default logs
- Execution start
- Execution end
- Transaction start
- Transaction end
- Error log
- Debugging log
- User defined logs
The log fields are – Message, Level, Timestamp, FileName, jobid, processName, processVersion, windowsIdentity, robotName.