I am currently trying to learn salesforce.
Following is my understanding(correct me if i am wrong)
- Database as a service.
- Uses oracle under the hood.
- Provides REST API service to interact with database.
- Platform as a service.
- Provides metadata layer(Apex language,tool to edit/debug code,visualforce page etc.)
- Provides default metadata for database.com field types.
- Uses Database.com under the hood(for storing data and metadata).
- Software as a service.
- Uses Force.com under the hood.
- Provides few data model (i.e.schema) eg:-sales,marketing.
- Provides a framework(mainly UI) to create/configure various parameters of metadata and data model.
I believe database.com, force.com and salesforce.com are 3 different services. But on searching I am always reaching to salesforce CRM.Is it possible to use Database.com or Force.com alone i.e. without salesforce CRM?