Explore Courses Blog Tutorials Interview Questions
0 votes
in SQL by (6.1k points)

In MySQL, I have a column that is presently in varchar(100) type and I need to make it 10000.

Is it as easy like:

alter table table_name set column col_name varchar (10000);

I am scared to corrupt the existing data. Will it be ok if I execute this query? Or should I do alter the column another way?

1 Answer

0 votes
by (12.7k points)
edited by

I usually use this following statement:

ALTER TABLE `table_name`
  CHANGE COLUMN `col_name` `col_name` VARCHAR(10000);

However, I think SET will work also, never have tried it. Do check it once.

Are you looking for a good SQL tutorial? Join the Intellipaat's SQL course now and gain more knowledge in SQL.

Related questions

0 votes
1 answer
0 votes
1 answer
0 votes
1 answer
asked Dec 22, 2020 in SQL by Appu (6.1k points)
Welcome to Intellipaat Community. Get your technical queries answered by top developers!

30.5k questions

32.5k answers


108k users

Browse Categories