To parse PDF files using the Tika package in Python 2.7, you can follow these steps:
1. Begin by installing the Tika package by running the command pip install tika in your terminal.
2. Ensure that you have Java installed on your system, as Tika relies on Java for PDF parsing.
3. In your Python script, import the necessary modules:
from tika import parser
4. Utilize the parse() function from Tika to extract the text content from a PDF file:
parsed_pdf = parser.from_file('path/to/your/pdf_file.pdf')
pdf_text = parsed_pdf['content']
The parse() function accepts the path to the PDF file as an argument and returns a dictionary. You can access the extracted text content using the key 'content'.
5. You can then process or manipulate the extracted text according to your requirements.
Ensure that you replace 'path/to/your/pdf_file.pdf' with the actual path to your PDF file.
By following these steps, you should be able to utilize the Tika package in Python 2.7 for parsing PDF files and extracting their text content.