Real-life examples of optimization problems
– What is given: There is a set of tasks to be completed, with durations and with mutual constraints (e.g. task ordering; joint resources).
– The goal is: Your goal is to generate the shortest schedule (assignment of start times to tasks) possible.
• VLSI circuit layout
– What is given: There is a board, components, and connections of the circuit.
– The goal is: We have to place each component on the board such as to maximize energy efficiency and minimize the production cost.
• In AI: learning, for example:
– What is given: There are customers that are described by their characteristics (age, occupation, gender, location, etc) and their previous book purchases.
– The goal is: We have to find a function from customer characteristics to books which maximize the probability of purchase of the particular book.