Microstrategy is an enterprise-level Data Warehousing reporting tool and a Business Intelligence application. If you are looking for jobs in the field of Microstrategy, then this is the best platform for you to prepare from. Our set of Microstrategy interview questions are designed by experts from top companies who have mastered the skills in this popular tool. So, here is a list of Microstrategy questions that most companies generally ask before hiring professionals:
Q1. Compare Microstrategy and Tableau.
Q2. Define metadata?
Q3. Write the components MicroStrategy metadata?
Q4. What are the programs that we can do with the MicroStrategy Architect?
Q5. Explain heterogeneous mapping?
Q6. Define compound attribute?
Q7. Write different kinds of objects in Microstrategy?
Q8. Define different types of attributes in Microstrategy desktop?
Q9. Describe Implicit Attribute?
Q10. Describe joint child?
The three parts into which this comprehensive Microstrategy Interview Questions blog is divided are as follows:
Watch this video on ‘Microstrategy Full Course Tutorial for Beginners’:
Basic Interview Questions
1. Compare Microstrategy and Tableau.
|Ad hoc reporting
||Cannot directly be used for analysis
||Directly used for analysis
2. Define metadata?
It is a database repository in which definitions of all MicroStrategy objects are kept. Metadata is the heart of MicroStrategy.
3. Write the components MicroStrategy metadata?
MicroStrategy metadata consists of project settings, MicroStrategy object definitions and data warehouse connection information.
Learn about MicroStrategy in this insightful blog now.
4. What are the programs that we can do with the MicroStrategy Architect?
Firstly populate the metadata with project definition and schema objects, parameters and then make schema objects.
5. Explain heterogeneous mapping?
It allows the engine to do joins on unlike column names. If the user describe more than one expression for a given form, heterogeneous mapping will mechanically take place when tables and column names require it.
6. Define compound attribute?
A compound attribute has its value resolute by an expression that join two or more columns in a database to make a new column.
Go through this MicroStrategy Tutorial to get a clear understanding of MicroStrategy.
7. Write different kinds of objects in Microstrategy?
- Public Objects
- Schema Objects
- Configuring objects
8. Define different types of attributes in Microstrategy desktop?
- Compound Key Attribute
- Implicit Attributes
- Derived Attributes
9. Describe Implicit Attribute?
An implicit attribute is a practical or same attribute that does not actually exist in the database because it is made at the application level.
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
10. Describe joint child?
It is Microstrategy way of conducting Composite Keys. To grip this case in Microstrategy we make this set of columns, containing composite keys, as joint child.
11. How we can decided drilling options for an attribute?
Based on similarities between attributes, hierarchies and their drilling design we can decide the drilling option.
12. Name the two types of Hierarchies?
- User defined Hierarchy
- System hierarchy
13. Name the type of Facts in Microstrategy?
- Simple facts
- Derived facts
- Implicit facts
14. Write the different types of matrices in microstrategy?
15. Define Base Formula?
Base formula is used to provide the formation of more complex metrics.
Intermediate Interview Questions
16. Define Smart Metrices?
Smart metrics is used for calculating the compound matrices with the help of subtotal calculations for every constituent inside the compound metric.
17. Define Level Metrices?
Level metrics are modern metrics which are set to be evaluated at a particular attribute level.
18. What is the main purpose of having conditionality in metrics?
Conditionality connects a filter to the metric calculation. This is not a mandatory option.
19. Name the types of Transformation?
- Expression based transformations
- Table based transformations
20. How we can hide a particular metric in a report for a specific user?
Using Object level security we can hide it.
21. Explain Metric Formula Join Type?
Metric Formula Join Type is used for Compound Metrics and it determine how the various tables used in metric formula are joined.
22. Define filter.
Filter is used to limit data in a report.
23. Define view filter.
View Filters are the situations that come into play before a particular result is showed to the user.
24. What is filtered prompt?
We can limit the number of elements using filter in a prompt.
25. Name the various types of filters?
- Report Filter
- Joint element list filter
- Standard Filter
- View Filter
- Absolute filter
- Security filter
26. What are the different types of Prompts?
- object prompts
- Level prompts
- Value prompts
- Filter definition promp
27. Define level prompt.
Level prompts help us to identify the level of aggregation calculation of a metric.
28. What is the use of having thresholds in report?
It is used to develop conditional formatting for metric values.
29. What are the different formatting types?
- Font Type, Color
30. How the table structure change in DB to be reflected in MSTR?
- keep posted the warehouse catalog.
- Alter the data type in attribute editor.
Advanced Interview Questions
31. Name the data modelling tool in MSTR called?
Architect is the data modeling tool in MSTR.
32. How do we move objects across projects?
With the help of Object Manager we can move objects across projects.
33. Define history list?
The part of the interface that allows users to recover the results of initially executed or scheduled reports.
34. How we can apply row level security?
By applying Security filters to the user we can provides row level security.
35. Write VLDB properties?
VLDB stands for Very Large Data Base Properties. It is a Microstrategy way of conducting database particular preferences while making the report SQL.
36. Tell the usage of command manager?
The command manager is used to save the text commands which can be executed as scripts.
37. What do you understand by Pass-through Functions?
Pass-through expressions let you deploy the syntactic constructs or special functions access that are not standard to MicroStrategy.
38. Name the types of Report Cache?
- Matching caches
- XML caches
- Matching-History caches
- History caches
39. Explain an Intelligent Cube?
Instead of returning data from the data warehouse for a single report ,we can return sets of data from our data warehouse and save them directly to Microstrategy.
40. What are advantages of cubes?
- It perform fast
- It Schedule the Cube
- It is used for Drilling
- It helps in Data Sharing
41. Name the different export formats?
Excel, PDF, Flash, HTML are the different formats.
42. Name the different view modes?
- Design View
- HTML View
43. Write the different display modes?
- Flash Mode
- Interactive Mode
- View Mode
44. Name the different sections in a document?
- Document Header and Footer
- Page Header and Footer
- Detail Header and Footer
45. Name the different types of text field in a document?
- Static text field
- Dynamic text field
46. Write the different types of metrics which can be developed within a document?
- Calculated expressions matrices
- Summary metrics
- Derived metrics
47. Define controls?
Controls are the objects that show the data, images, and shapes in a document.
48. Define a hyperlink?
A hyperlink interconnects text or an image in a document to a web page.
49. Name the different types of derived elements?
- Calculation Derived
- Filter Derived
- Group Derived
50. Write the Features which are not supported in Intelligent Cubes?
Prompts cannot be used
OLAP Service Features: View Filters and Derived metrics cannot be used
Consolidation and Custom Group
51. What are the activities of cubes?
- Dynamic Aggregation
- Derived Elements
- Derived Metrics
- Metric Filters
- View Filters