Digital Marketing is one of the top careers in today’s world of IT. The industry is all set to hit about US$100 billion in the next couple of years. This amount of growth could only be possible because of the immense benefits it brings to the table. Whether students or professionals, if you are looking to pursue a career in Digital Marketing, the following interview questions for freshers will help you know how to approach the questions and answer them effectively.
These Digital Marketing interview questions and answers are majorly classified into three categories as shown below:
Basic Digital Marketing Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers
1. Briefly explain Digital Marketing.
This has to be one of the first Digital Marketing interview questions and answers you should be preparing for! It is a domain that involves scaling brands and products online to bring about value addition by making use of a plethora of concepts, such as SEO, and channels such as email, social media, and more.
Check out this video on Digital Marketing Interview Questions and Answers:
2. What are the types of Digital Marketing in the industry?
There is a wide variety of concepts pertaining to Digital Marketing. Here are some:
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Affiliate marketing
- Content marketing
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC)
3. Define SEO in brief.
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO for short, is the structured solution to the requirement of an increase in incoming traffic to a web page. This directly correlates to an increase in the number, as well as the quality, of the traffic generated based on certain criteria used to attain it.
4. What are the top 5 ways to increase traffic to any website?
Since Digital Marketing aims to cater individually, ‘top 5’ is subjective, but here are some of the tried and well-oiled methodologies that have proven to be successful:
- SEO interlinking: SEO is crucial to increase the traffic to a website. Interlinking is nothing but linking one page of the website to another page of it usually with keywords. This SEO interlinking prompts your users to use the links to navigate through your site and find more information.
- Eye-catching landing page: Landing pages are an important component of any marketing campaign. Your primary website can only play a minor role in your overall marketing campaign. A savvy inbound marketer recognizes that after putting in the effort to attract visitors to a website, the next step is to turn the views into leads for the business. This is where ‘landing pages’ come in handy.
- Paid advertising: A company can reach out to a very vast and diverse audience by running paid promotional campaigns. Paid advertisements are helpful to engage with as users click on such ads. Whoever has demonstrated an interest in the products or services that are offered by the company can connect with its website through such advertisements.
- Social media: Social media is a phenomenal Digital Marketing channel for increasing the company’s exposure and brand recognition. A good social media presence will help you create consumer confidence and loyalty as most customers browse the Internet and social media pages before making final purchasing decisions. So, creating business profiles on different social media platforms can also help you increase your website traffic.
- Email marketing: One of the most popular Digital Marketing strategies is email marketing. An email has always been the best communication channel. With proper email marketing or advertising, a company can grab the attention of its customers and boost their faith.
5. What are keywords? Why are they considered important in this domain?
Keywords are the literal key search phrases users use to search for a product, brand, or anything of their choice. This forms to be the primary entity used when working with the concept of search engine optimization (SEO). A keyword has the utmost importance when used well and analyzed diligently; it has the ability to draw in a lot of organic traffic. This directly results in users landing on the website optimized for keywords in any search engine.
6. Where all can keywords be used to drive more traffic to a website?
Keywords can be used in a variety of places such as:
- Web page title
- Web page URL
- Meta description
- Website content
7. What are the two main ways of Digital Marketing?
This is one of the most important Digital Marketing interview questions and answers asked. So, answer this one wisely!
There are inbound and outbound marketing techniques. In inbound marketing, the main focus is customer-centric, and the content is created around that, e.g., blogs, social media channels, and more. Outbound marketing deals with the direct need of the product and is usually distributed to a wideband audience, through billboards, televised advertisements, magazines, etc.
8. What are some of the most used Digital Marketing tools today?
There are many tools in Digital Marketing that are used to achieve a defined goal. Here are some of them:
- Google Analytics: Google Analytics offered by Google is a free web analytics platform that allows you to monitor your flash, video, and social networking sites and apps as well as to calculate your advertisement ROI.
- Ahrefs: For backlinks and SEO analysis, Ahrefs.com is the perfect toolset.
- Mailchimp: Mailchimp is a marketing tool that allows you to manage and communicate with your clients, consumers, and other interested parties in one place.
- Google Keyword Planner: Google Keyword Planner is a tool that will help you find keywords for your search network campaigns. It is a free app that lets you find keywords specific to your needs and see how many monthly searches they attract as well as how much it costs to target them.
- Kissmetrics: Kissmetrics is a comprehensive web analytics platform that provides crucial insights and customer engagement details for your website.
- Keyword Discovery: Keyword Discovery gives you access to the world’s largest keyword index, which is compiled from all search engines. It gives you access to search terms that consumers use to locate goods and services and also those search words that lead people to your rival websites.
- SEMrush: SEMrush is an extensive toolkit for increasing web exposure and discovering marketing knowledge. Marketers who work in SEO, PPC, SMM, keyword research, competitive research, and content marketing services will benefit from SEMrush tools and reports.
- Buffer: Buffer is a social media management tool for small-to-medium-sized companies that allow users to post content, connect with customers, and track their social media success. Social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, etc., are all integrated with Buffer.
- AdEspresso: AdEspresso is a simple and intuitive method for managing and optimizing Facebook ads.
Become a master of Digital Marketing by taking up this online Digital Marketing Course in Bangalore!
9. What is pay-per-click advertising?
Pay-per-click is a Digital Marketing methodology that involves the advertiser paying the website owner a discussed amount of money every time the advertisement is clicked on by a user.
Pay-per-click advertising is of three types. They are search ads, display ads, and social media ads. Search ads are found on platforms such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. Third-party apps have display ads, and platforms such as Facebook and Instagram are for social media ads.
Pay-per-click, along with cost-per-impression (CPM), is used to evaluate the cost-effectiveness and feasibility of Internet ads and to keep the cost of conducting ad campaigns as minimal as possible when meeting defined goals.
10. Name some PPC (pay-per-click) tools.
The top 5 most-used pay-per-click tools are iSpionage, SEMrush, SpyFu, Unbounce, Adbeat.
11. What is black hat SEO?
Black hat SEO is a method that hunts for soft spots in the algorithms of search engines to find a way to get the content rank. This creates a surge in the ranking, but it is short-lasting. It is considered unethical because it does not comply with the guidelines set by the search engines altogether. Strategies such as link spamming and the addition of hidden links are often used in this methodology.
Learn more about Digital Marketing by going through our Digital Marketing Tutorial.
12. What is white hat SEO?
White hat SEO is considered to be the most-used SEO technique across the globe, which makes use of various techniques to get a web page rank in search engines. The creation of top-notch content and HTML optimization, among others, are key in white hat SEO. It also creates a steady growth in the rank that lasts longer than other methodologies.
13. What is grey hat SEO?
Grey hat SEO is a mixture of both black hat and white hat techniques. These techniques are used in collaboration to switch from one to the other in an attempt to get a web page rank. In the majority of cases, the outcome is a hit or a miss with this technique.
14. Can you mention some methodologies that can be used to improve conversion rates?
For improving conversion rates, one can make changes to the visual aspects of a web page, everything from styling to modifying the page layout and functionality. Trying these out will ensure that there is an increase in conversion rates.
15. What is Google AdWords?
AdWords is an advertising service provided by Google, which is used to cater to the companies that are looking to assess their marketing outreach. It is considered to be one of the most widely used PPC systems today. A structured pipeline ensures that the companies can go about setting a threshold on payments, budgets, and more when users click on their advertisements.
16. Explain how AdWords works.
AdWords is in charge of the advertising framework. If the deal is expensive, your advertisement will appear on the Google SERP. Pay-per-click advertising is handled by AdWords, which means that you pay the amount you specified if someone clicks on your ad as a result of a web search.
17. What is the difference between SEM and SEO, in brief?
SEM stands for search engine marketing, which is used to gain website traffic by purchasing advertisements on various search engines. SEO, on the other hand, stands for search engine optimization, which is primarily concerned with ranking a web page on the search engines.
18. What social media channels are popular today in terms of Digital Marketing?
There are many channels in this pipeline, and the most popular ones are LinkedIn and Facebook. With the onset of influencer marketing, Instagram is showing wholesome potential as well.
19. Why has Digital Marketing grown to be this huge compared to offline marketing?
This will be one of the most asked Digital Marketing interview questions and answers! Digital Marketing has shown tremendous potential in the past few years, and here are some of the most important reasons:
- Directly relates to customers’ needs
- Good exposure to product outreach and analytics
- An easier way to tap into multiple regions across the globe
- Changes can be implemented almost immediately if need be
Go through the Digital Marketing Course in Bhubaneswar to get a clear understanding of the domain!
20. Explain AMP in brief.
AMP, or Accelerated Mobile Pages as they are known, is the brainchild of the people at Google and the popular social media platform, Twitter. It is an open-source library that helps users come up with a lightweight web page, which enables quicker loading. The main intention here is to ensure that there is a sharp decrease in the load time of web pages when viewed through multiple platforms and a variety of web browsers.
21. How can you assess the impact of social media marketing?
There are multiple ways to gauge performance growth in the area of social media marketing. Here are some of them:
- Direct engagement
- Content sharing
- Brand outreach
That is all for the Digital Marketing executive interview questions. Let’s move on to the next section of intermediate Digital Marketing interview questions for both freshers and experienced professionals.
Intermediate Digital Marketing Interview Questions
22. Why is email marketing considered the most effective way of Digital Marketing?
Email marketing has a proven outreach where emails are exchanged between customers and providers. It has been one of the strongest used methodologies to ensure that leads are converted into customers quickly and effectively.
23. What is the click-through rate?
This is one of the important interview questions for Digital Marketing, so keep the answer concise!
Click-through rate, or CTR for short, is the number of times a user made an entry on a web page through a promotion, an advertisement, or an event.
24. How is the return on investment calculated?
The return on investment (ROI) is the simple difference between the sales amount and the investment in marketing.
ROI = Sales −The Cost of Advertising
25. What is the difference between page sessions and page views?
A page session is when a user makes a visit to a website every single time. A page view is when the user clicks on one or more pages present on the website.
26. What is the difference between Google AdSense and AdWords?
AdSense helps companies create the required space for AdWords on their website. Whereas, AdWords are used to post advertisements on the Google ecosystem. Both AdSense and AdWords work together to ensure that all aspects of the ads are taken care of.
27. What is your interest in the field of Digital Marketing?
Here, the interviewer is trying to assess the level of commitment and understanding you have toward this field. It is very vital that you portray a good amount of interest, commitment, and your ardor toward Digital Marketing.
28. What is the difference between do-follow and no-follow links in SEO?
This is one of the very important interview questions for Digital Marketing. Do-follow links allow redirects to users where they use a search engine and follow through to land on the website. No-follow links, alongside the associate policies of the search engines, ensure that the hyperlinks used should not be an influence on the rank for that particular search engine.
29. Can you differentiate between direct marketing and branding?
Direct marketing is a marketing technique that involves direct interaction with the target audience through various technologies. Google Ads, Facebook Ads, email marketing, etc. are the types of direct marketing.
Whereas, branding is also a marketing methodology where you concentrate on exposing your brand, website, or application to the world and make the customers aware of your advertisement. Brand marketing includes pamphlets, catalogs, billboard signs, networking events, etc.
30. How can a platform such as YouTube be used effectively for Digital Marketing?
With YouTube, you can build brand awareness to directly deal with customers who might be showing some interest in the product, which is the goal of the campaign. This can drive a lot of healthy traffic directly to websites and boost the ranking as well. The creation of elegant, good-looking, and informative videos are the driving force behind a successful YouTube campaign.
31. Which platform is used when candidates want to post or refer to job-related ads?
LinkedIn is the most famous among active job seekers and professionals. There are other sites such as Naukri and Indeed that have the same goal of bringing recruiters and candidates together.
32. How can you measure the success of a social media marketing campaign?
Success can be measured by making use of multiple metrics. Everything including the number of clients, leads, traffic, sales, and conversions can lead to assessing and analyzing the success of a campaign. Direct comparison between the requirement and the goal on metrics such as likes, subscriptions, and share counts also relatively impact the working rate of the campaign.
33. Why is an anchor tag used as an SEO practice?
An anchor tag is a text in hyperlink format. It is basically used to assess how the content ranks on multiple search engines.
34. What are some of the disadvantages of Digital Marketing?
This has to be one of the first Digital Marketing interview questions for freshers! Even though there are a plethora of advantages surrounding the world of Digital Marketing, there are certain downfalls. Here are some of them:
- Digital Marketing creates a high transparency scenario for pricing and competition.
- Globalization results in direct worldwide competition.
- Digital Marketing can create security or privacy issues.
- It can be expensive to set up marketing pipelines in nascent stages.
35. What are the limitations to the number of characters in Google AdWords advertisements?
Headings and subheadings should keep the threshold of a maximum of 30 characters. Descriptions should not exceed 90 characters in length.
36. Can you name any five email marketing tools that are widely used?
There are multiple email marketing tools out there, but these are the ones that are most popular among users:
37. Can you define the life cycle of a shopper on a website?
As soon as users land on the website, they become prospects when looking around the site to see if something interests them. If there is something that they are interested in and if they interact with the website by providing details or adding the item to the cart, they become leads. Leads get converted into customers/sales when they successfully complete the transaction.
That is all in the section of intermediate Digital Marketing interview questions. Let’s move on to the next section of Digital Marketing Manager interview questions.
Go through this blog to know the Digital Marketing Salary in 2021.
Advanced Digital Marketing Interview Questions for Experienced
38. What are the Webmaster tools?
Google Webmaster Tools is a set of online tools that help website owners make their pages Google-friendly. These tools can be used for a variety of tasks, including obtaining information about incoming search traffic, asking Google to crawl and index a website, reading crawl error reports, and so on.
39. What are some of the available bidding options?
There are many options out there, but the two major ones are cost-per-action (CPA) and cost-per-click (CPC) bidding methods.
40. What are the top 5 Cs of Digital Marketing?
This has got to be another important Digital Marketing interview question for freshers! The 5 Cs of Digital Marketing are:
41. Can Digital Marketing completely replace traditional marketing in the future?
The interviewer is trying to understand and gauge your knowledge with this question. Cite real-world examples and provide validations to that preferably in numbers from any valid source. As the general train of thought goes, Digital Marketing has a very strong footing in today’s world, and companies and customers are trying to bring about the best by making full use of this. It can be said that instead of overpowering the other, Digital Marketing and traditional marketing are going hand in hand adding value to each other.
42. Can you rate yourself on a scale of 1–10 depending on your proficiency in Digital Marketing?
The interviewer will be assessing a lot with this question: your ability to handle spontaneity, your confidence, your grip on the subject, and how well you can cope with the situation. The main goal here is to understand your capacity and to ensure that you rate yourself accurately.
43. Why are you applying for the Digital Marketing role in our company?
While answering this question, make sure that you convince the interviewer about why Digital Marketing is important for the company and explain how you can add value to the team. This would require a general understanding of the job description, compensation, and even details about the company.
44. Has your prior education helped you with Digital Marketing in any way?
Another of those Digital Marketing interview questions for freshers! This is a question that relates to the latest course you completed in college. Do talk about the degree you have obtained and how you plan on putting what you learned to full use in the coming days.
45. How can you create new leads for the marketing pipeline?
Effective creation of new leads can be done by having an understanding of the concept of the sales funnel and the techniques that follow. Everything from customizing the content to the process that involves automating the marketing channel should be discussed here.
46. What are the latest trends in Digital Marketing today?
The world of Digital Marketing is growing now more than ever. Here are some of the trends:
- Long-form videos
- Product-focused content
- Personalized content
- Voice search
- Google Discover
- Virtual reality
47. What is viral marketing?
Viral marketing is a methodology that involves customers sharing information and details about a product, brand, or company using the Internet. It is a very effective form of marketing that helps in getting the word out to friends, family, and other individuals, thereby creating a surge in growth.
48. What do on-page and off-page SEO optimization methods mean?
This is one of the very important interview questions for Digital Marketing. Off-page optimization involves a process that makes use of external links to directly boost traffic and help index better on any search engine. However, on-page SEO optimization deals with the structure and the content present on a website.
49. Can you explain some scenarios where bad links are used?
There are many scenarios that often lead to the use of a bad link. Here are some of them:
- Usage of paid links
- Using unrelated or far from the topic at hand
- Making use of links that are considered to be spam or flagged
- Posting from various link exchange sites and media
- Making use of the same anchor from multiple sites
Read this blog to know the future Scope of Digital Marketing.
50. What is the concept of content marketing? What factors do you consider when deciding what material to publish?
Content marketing is a strategic approach to attracting and retaining a well-defined audience and driving profitable consumer behavior through the creation and distribution of appropriate, useful, and reliable content. Increased revenue, lower costs, and getting more loyal customers are the main reasons why businesses should use content marketing.
To decide which content should be published, you should consider the following points:
- The content should be according to the target audience’s interests.
- It should be knowledgeable and relevant.
- The content must grab the attention of many.
- The content should be capable of adding value to the customers.
51. What is the best strategy for running effective PPC campaigns?
For effective PPC campaigns, these are the best strategies that you need to talk about:
- Pick the right keywords
- Prefer quality over quantity
- Concentrate on your ad groups
- Be selective about your target audience
- Have an appealing landing page
52. What are your Digital Marketing strategies for growing our current business?
A response to this question has the potential to turn the tables. It is preferable to do the homework on the company background, social status, its latest launches if any, and the competitors as well. And, do mention the following top ways to improve the current business through Digital Marketing:
- Research trending technology
- Improve search engine optimization
- Analyze the reach of your content
- Monitor your social media accounts
53. What are the necessary steps to be taken to avoid the rank penalty?
This question is primarily asked to check your knowledge on the subject! Hence, it is important that you know the answers to Digital Marketing questions like these!
- Avoid linking to websites with a bad ranking
- Avoid poison words, especially when using hypertext
- Avoid plagiarism at all levels of content creation and optimization
- Avoid redirects through refresh meta-tags
54. What attracted you to the Digital Marketing industry?
Here, the interviewer wants to know how serious you are about the Digital Marketing industry. As a result, it is critical to demonstrate complete dedication and passion for the industry. You can answer this question also by confessing the factors that you really like about the industry.
For example, something like how you enjoy bringing people together using different emerging online technology, and also you admire how a company can entice a target audience with the latest Digital Marketing technologies. You can also discuss the short and long-term opportunities you see in Digital Marketing. All this will demonstrate that you are well-informed and knowledgeable in your chosen profession.
55. What is your plan after joining this Digital Marketing role?
For this question, do explain in a structured way the ingestion, preparation, and working on a marketing action plan that involves everything from the calculation of the budget and identifying the latest trends to the implementation of the plan and verifying how it can be made better with every iteration.
56. In the next 5 years, where do you see yourself (with respect to a career in Digital Marketing)?
With this question, the interviewer wants to know how dedicated you are to the field of Digital Marketing. Confidence is the key to answer this question. With your answer, you should show how passionate you are about Digital Marketing, that you have a long-term vision for it, and that you are excited to learn more.
For Example, you can say how you would like to learn more about Digital Marketing in the next 5 years, honing your expertise in social media, website production, and SEO, and how you would like to make a productive impact on the organization by using these talents and, where necessary, taking on more roles and eventually being a member of the executive team.
57. What is your least favorite aspect of Digital Marketing?
This is a complicated question. Simply consider the aspect of your career that you like the least. Everybody has something minor or major that they dislike in their work. To persuade the interviewer, demonstrate your enthusiasm for the industry itself.
58. Do you have any previous experience in the Digital Marketing industry?
Here, make sure to elaborate on the past experiences you have if any, and do so in an elaborate way to help the interviewer understand where you are coming from.
59. Do you possess any other skill that can add value to this Digital Marketing role?
For this question, explain the skills you possess that can be used for Digital Marketing: everything from designing, analytics, and project management to experience in handling campaign management, etc. This will add a lot of value to your candidature and help you convince the recruiter.
60. How do you stay up-to-date with the current Digital Marketing trends?
You can answer this question by providing the interviewer with an insight into how you learn new things. It might be from popular sites such as HubSpot or Mox or any other source. Are there any popular influencers that you follow? Do mention it and talk about everything from reading blogs or maybe connecting with someone on social media for this to anything else of importance.
Do you want to become a certified Digital Marketer? Enroll in Intellipaat’s Digital Marketing Certification Course now!