Digital Marketing is one of the top careers in today’s world of IT. The industry is set to hit about US$100 billion in the next couple of years. This amount of growth could only be possible because of the immense benefits of Digital Marketing. Be it, students or professionals, if you are looking to pursue a career in Digital Marketing, the following interview questions and answers will help you gain an in-depth understanding on how to approach the questions and answer them effectively.
- Q1. Briefly explain Digital Marketing.
- Q2. What are the types of Digital Marketing in the industry?
- Q3. Please define SEO in brief.
- Q4. What are the top 5 ways to increase traffic to any website?
- Q5. What are keywords? Why are they considered important in this domain?
- Q6. Where all can keywords be used to drive more traffic to a website?
- Q7. What are the two main ways of categorizing Digital Marketing?
- Q8. What are some of the most used Digital Marketing tools today?
- Q9. What is pay-per-click advertising?
- Q10. What is Black hat SEO?
Digital Marketing Interview Questions and Answers will be majorly classified into three categories as shown below:
Basic Interview Questions
1. Briefly explain Digital Marketing?
This has to be one of the first Digital Marketing interview questions and answers you should prepare for! It is a domain that involves scaling brands and products online to bring about value addition by making use of a plethora of concepts, such as SEO, and channels such as email, social media, and more.
2. What are the types of Digital Marketing in the industry?
There is a wide variety of concepts pertaining to Digital Marketing. Here are some:
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Affiliate marketing
- Content marketing
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC)
3. Please define SEO in brief?
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO for short, is the structured solution to the requirement of an increase in incoming traffic to a webpage. This directly correlates to an increase in the number, as well as the quality, of the traffic generated based on criteria such as the practices used to attain it.
4. What are the top 5 ways to increase traffic to any website?
Since Digital Marketing aims to cater individually, ‘top 5’ is subjective, but here are some of the tried and well-oiled methodologies that have proven to work:
- SEO interlinking
- Content marketing
- Paid advertising
- Volume-based catering
- Email marketing
5. What are keywords? Why are they considered important in this domain?
Keywords are the literal key search phrases users use to search for a product, brand, or anything of choice. This forms to be the primary entity used when working with the concept of search engine optimization (SEO). A keyword has the utmost importance when used well and analyzed diligently; it has the ability to draw in a lot of organic traffic. This directly correlates to users landing on the website optimized for keywords in any search engine of their choice.
6. Where all can keywords be used to drive more traffic to a website?
Keywords can be used in a variety of places such as:
- Web page title
- Web page URL
- Meta description
- Website content
7. What are the two main ways of categorizing Digital Marketing?
This is one of the most important Digital Marketing interview questions and answers out there. So, answer this one wisely! There are inbound and outbound marketing techniques. In inbound marketing, the main focus is customer-centric and the content is created around that, e.g., blogs, social media channels, and more. Outbound marketing deals with the direct need of the product requirement and is usually distributed to a wideband audience, e.g., billboards, televised advertisements, magazines, etc.
8. What are some of the most used Digital Marketing tools today?
There are many tools in Digital Marketing that are used to achieve a defined goal. Here are some of them:
- Google Analytics
- Google Keyword Planner
- Keyword Discovery
9. What is pay-per-click advertising?
This is a Digital Marketing methodology that involves the advertiser paying the website owner a discussed amount of money every time the advertisement is clicked on by an user.
10. What is Black hat SEO?
It is a method that hunts for soft spots in the algorithms of search engines to find a way to get the content rank. This creates a surge in the ranking, but it is short-lasting. It is considered unethical because it does not comply with the guidelines set by the search engines altogether. Strategies such as link spamming and the addition of hidden links are often used in this methodology.
11. What is White hat SEO?
It is considered to be the most-used SEO technique across the globe, which makes use of various techniques to get a web page rank in search engines. The creation of top-notch content and HTML optimization, among others, are key in White hat SEO. This also creates a steady growth in the rank that lasts longer than other methodologies.
12. What is Grey hat SEO?
It is a mixture of both black hat and white hat techniques. These techniques are used in collaboration to switch from one to the other in an attempt to get a web page rank. In the majority of cases, the outcome is a hit or a miss with this technique.
13. Can you state some methodologies that can be used to improve conversion rates?
For improving conversion rates, one can do changes to the visual aspects of a web page, everything from styling to page layout and functionality altogether. Trying these out will ensure that there is an increase in conversion rates.
14. What is Google AdWords?
AdWords is an advertising service provided by Google, which is used to cater to the companies that are looking to assess their marketing outreach. It is considered to be one of the most widely used PPC systems today. A structured pipeline ensures that the companies can go about setting a threshold on payments, budgets, and more when users click on their advertisements.
15. What is the difference between SEM and SEO, in brief?
SEM stands for search engine marketing, which is used to gain website traffic by purchasing advertisements on various search engines. SEO, on the other hand, stands for search engine optimization, which is primarily concerned with ranking a web page on the search engines.
16. What social media channels are popular today in terms of Digital Marketing?
There are many channels in this pipeline and the most popular ones are LinkedIn and Facebook. With the onset of influencer marketing, Instagram is showing wholesome potential as well.
17. Why has Digital Marketing grown to be this huge compared to offline marketing?
This has to be one of the most asked Digital Marketing interview questions and answers probably! Digital Marketing has shown tremendous potential in the past few years, and here are some of the most important reasons why:
- Directly relates to customers’ needs
- Good exposure to product outreach and analytics
- An easier way to tap into multiple regions across the globe
- Changes can be implemented almost immediately if need be
18. Explain AMP in brief.
AMP, or accelerated mobile pages as they’re known, is the brainchild of the people at Google and the popular social media platform, Twitter. It is an open-source library that helps users come up with a lightweight web page, which enables quicker loading. The main intention here is to ensure that there is a sharp decrease in the load time of web pages when viewed through multiple platforms and a variety of web browsers.
19. How can you assess the impact of social media marketing?
There are multiple ways to gauge performance growth in the area of social media marketing. Here are some of them:
- Direct engagement
- Content sharing
- Brand outreach
Intermediate Interview Questions
20. Why is email marketing considered as the most effective way of Digital Marketing?
Email marketing has a proven outreach where emails are exchanged between customers and providers. It has been one of the strongest used methodologies to ensure that leads are converted into customers quickly and effectively.
21. What is click-through rate?
This is one of the very important interview questions for Digital Marketing so keep your answer concise! Click-through rate, or CTR for short, is the number of times a user made an entry onto a web page through a promotion, advertisement, or an event.
22. How is return on investment calculated?
Return on Investment (ROI) is the simple difference between the sales amount and the investment in marketing.
ROI = Sales −The Cost of Advertising
23. What is the difference between page sessions and page views?
A page session is when a user makes a visit to a website every single time. A page view is when the user clicks on one or more pages present on the website.
24. What is the difference between Google AdSense and AdWords?
AdSense helps companies create the required space for AdWords on their website. AdWords are, in turn, used to post advertisements on the Google ecosystem. Both AdSense and AdWords work together to ensure that all aspects of the ads are taken care of.
25. What is your interest toward the field of Digital Marketing?
Here, the person interviewing you is trying to assess the level of commitment and understanding you have toward this field. It is very vital that you portray a good amount of interest, commitment, and your ardor toward Digital Marketing.
26. What is the difference between do-follow and no-follow links in SEO?
This is one of the very important interview questions for Digital Marketing. Do-follow links allow redirects to users where they use a search engine and follow through to land on the website. No-follow links, alongside the associate policies of the search engines, ensure that the hyperlinks used should not be an influence on the rank for that particular search engine.
27. How can a platform such as YouTube be used effectively for Digital Marketing?
With YouTube, it forms a foundational concept used to build brand awareness to directly deal with customers who might be showing some interest in the product, which is the goal of the campaign. This can drive a lot of healthy traffic directly to websites and boost the ranking majorly as well. The creation of elegant, good looking and informative videos are the driving forces behind a successful YouTube campaign.
28. Which platform is looked at when candidates want to post or refer to job-related ads?
LinkedIn is the most famous among active job seekers and professionals. There are other sites such as Naukri and Indeed that have the same goal of bringing recruiters and candidates together.
29. How can you measure the success of a social media marketing campaign?
Success can be measured by making use of multiple metrics. Everything including the number of clients, leads, traffic, sales, and conversions can lead to assessing and analysing the success of a campaign. Direct comparison across the requirement and the goal on metrics such as likes, subscriptions, and share counts also relatively impact the working rate of the campaign.
30. Why is an anchor tag used as an SEO practise?
The anchor tag is the text in the hyperlink format. It is basically used to assess how the content ranks on multiple search engines.
31. What are some of the disadvantages of Digital Marketing?
This has to be one of the first Digital Marketing interview questions for freshers! Even though there are a plethora of advantages surrounding the world of Digital Marketing, there are certain downfalls. Here are some:
- It creates a high transparency scenario for pricing and competition.
- Globalisation ensures direct worldwide competition.
- Digital Marketing can create security or privacy issues.
- It can be expensive to set up marketing pipelines in nascent stages.
32. What are the limitations with respect to the number of characters in Google AdWords advertisements?
Headings and subheadings should heed to a threshold of a maximum of 30 characters. Descriptions should not exceed 90 characters in length.
33. Can you name any five email marketing tools that are widely used?
There are multiple email marketing tools out there, but these are the ones that are most popular among users:
34. Can you define the life cycle of a shopper on a website?
As soon as users land on the website, they become prospects when looking around the site to see if something interests them. If there is something that they’re interested in and if they interact with the website by providing details or adding the item to the cart, they become leads. Leads get converted into customers/sales when they successfully complete the transaction.
Advanced Interview Questions
35. What are some of the bidding options that are available?
There are many options out there, but the two major ones are Cost Per Action (CPA) and Cost Per Click (CPC)
36. What are the top 5 Cs of Digital Marketing?
This has got to be another important Digital Marketing interview questions for freshers!
37. Can Digital Marketing completely replace traditional marketing in the future?
The interviewer is trying to understand and gauge your knowledge depth with this question. Cite real-world examples and provide validations to that preferably in numbers from any valid source. As the general train of thought goes, Digital Marketing has a very strong footing in today’s world and companies and customers are trying to bring about the best by making full use of this. It can be said that instead of overpowering the other, Digital Marketing and traditional marketing are going hand in hand adding value to each other.
38. Can you rate yourself on a scale of 1–10 depending on your proficiency in Digital Marketing?
The interviewer will be assessing a lot with this question: your ability to handle spontaneity, your confidence, your grip on the subject, and how well you can cope with the situation. The main goal here is to understand your capacity and to ensure that you rate yourself accurately.
39. Why are you applying for the Digital Marketing role in our company?
While answering this question, make sure that you convince the interviewer about why Digital Marketing is important for the company and explain how you can add value to the team. This would require a general understanding of the job description, compensation, and even details about the company.
40. Has your prior education helped you with Digital Marketing in any way?
Another one of those Digital Marketing interview questions for freshers! This is a question that relates to the latest course you completed in college. Do talk about the degree you have obtained and how you plan on putting it to full use in the coming days.
41. How can we create new leads for the marketing pipeline?
Effective creation of new leads can be done by having an understanding of the concept of the sales funnel and the techniques that follow. Everything from customizing the content all the way till the process, which involves automating the marketing channel, should be discussed here.
42. What are the latest trends in Digital Marketing today?
The world of Digital Marketing is growing now more than ever. Here are some of the trends:
- Long-form videos
- Product-focussed content
- Personalized content
- Voice search
- Google Discover
- Virtual reality
43. What is viral marketing?
Viral marketing is a methodology that involves customers sharing information and details about a product, brand, or a company using the Internet. It is a very effective form of marketing that helps in getting the word out to friends, family, and other individuals, thereby creating a surge in growth.
44. What do on-page and off-page SEO optimization methods mean?
This is one of the very important interview questions for Digital Marketing. Off-page optimization involves a process that makes use of external links to directly boost traffic and help index better on any search engine. However, on-page SEO optimization deals with the structure and the content present on a website.
45. Can you explain some scenarios where bad links are used?
There are many scenarios which often lead to the use of a bad link. Here are some of them:
- Usage of paid links
- Using unrelated or far from the topic at hand
- Making use of links which are considered to be spam or flagged links
- Posting from various link exchange sites and media
- Making use of the same anchor from multiple sites
46. What are the necessary steps to be taken to avoid the rank penalty?
This question is primarily asked to check your knowledge on the subject! Hence, it is important that you know the answers to Digital Marketing questions like these!
- Avoid linking to websites with a bad ranking
- Avoid poison words, especially when using hypertext
- Avoid plagiarism at all levels of content creation and optimization
- Avoid redirects through refresh meta-tags
47. What is your plan after joining for this Digital Marketing role?
For this question, do explain in a structured way from ingestion to preparing and working on a marketing action plan that involves everything from the calculation of the budget and identifying the latest trends to the implementation of the plan and verifying how it can be made better with every iteration.
48. Do you have any previous experience in the Digital Marketing industry?
Here, make sure to elaborate on the past experiences you have if any, and do so in an elaborate way to help the interviewer understand where you’re coming from.
49. Do you possess any other skill that can add value to this Digital Marketing role?
For this question, explain the skills you possess that can be used for Digital Marketing: everything from designing, analytics and project management to experience handling campaign management, etc. This will add a lot of value to your candidature and help convince the recruiter.
50. How do you stay up-to-date with the current Digital Marketing trends?
You can answer this question by providing the interviewer with an insight into how you learn new things. It might be from popular sites such as HubSpot or Mox or any other source. Are there any popular influencers that you follow? Do mention it and talk about everything from reading blogs or maybe connecting with someone on social media for this to anything else.