This comprehensive blog on Software Testing Interview Questions consists of the interview questions that are collected after doing extensive research. These questions are gathered after consulting with experts from the industry of Software Testing. To brush up your knowledge and skills in Software Testing and prepare yourself for job interviews, you must get acquainted with the following Software Testing interview questions:
Q1. Compare Software Testing Vs. Debugging
Q2. Explain Monkey testing.
Q3. What is the difference between baseline and benchmark testing?
Q4. Explain bug life cycle.
Q5. How can we perform Spike testing in JMeter?
Q6. What is Silk Test?
Q7. Define Requirements Traceability Matrix.
Q8. What is elementary process?
Q9. Highlight the role of QA in project development.
Q10. What are the tools of performance testing?
Following are the categories into which the Software Testing Interview Questions blog is categorized:
Basic Interview Questions
1. Compare Software Testing Vs. Debugging
||Known conditions, predefined methods and expected outcome
||Unknown conditions, not preset method and unpredictable outcome
||No need of design knowledge
||Need full design knowledge
||Finding error or bug
||Finding a cause for the error or bug
Check out this video on Software Testing Interview Questions:
2. Explain Monkey testing.
A technique of software testing where the application is tested by ingesting inputs randomly. This test does not follow any pre-defined set of rules. It is carried out to check the behavior of the application.
3. What is the difference between baseline and benchmark testing?
While Baseline testing runs a set of tests to determine the performance, Benchmark testing compares the application performance with industry standards. Baseline testing strives to improve performance with the help of collected information, on the other hand, benchmark testing seeks to improve application performance by matching it with benchmarks.
4. Explain bug life cycle.
- When a tester finds a bug, the bug is assigned NEW or OPEN with status.
- The bug is assigned to Development Project Managers who will analyze the bug. They will check whether it is a valid defect. If not valid, the bug is rejected, and its new status is REJECTED.
- Now, the tester checks whether a similar defect was raised earlier. If yes, the defect is assigned a status ‘DUPLICATE’
- Once the bug is fixed, the defect is assigned a status ‘FIXED’
- Next, the tester will re-test the code. In case, the test case passes, the defect is CLOSED
- If the test case fails again, the bug is RE-OPENED and assigned to the developer.
Preparing for a job interview? Check out our blog on Manual Testing Interview Questions!
5. How can we perform Spike testing in JMeter?
JMeter comes with a synchronizing timer which can handle the requests of multiple threads. It is able to get the required number of threads and release them at once to cause a spike.
Intermediate Interview Questions
6. What is Silk Test?
Silk Test is a tool developed for performing regression and functionality testing of the application. Silk Test is a tool, used when we are testing the applications based on Windows, Java, Web or traditional client/server. Silk Test helps in preparing the test plan and managing of those test plans to provide direct access to the database and field validation.
7. Define Requirements Traceability Matrix.
The Requirement Traceability Matrix (RTM) is a bi-directional matrix that captures the details of requirements and their traceability. Created at the initial steps of a project, RTM tracks the requirement by analyzing the deliverables and business requirements
Check out our blog to learn about Types of Software Testing!
8. What is elementary process?
Software applications are made up of several elementary processes. There are two types of elementary processes:
Dynamic elementary Process: The dynamic elementary involves the process of moving data from one location to another. The location can be either within the application or outside it.
Static elementary Process: It involves maintaining the data of the application.
9. Highlight the role of QA in project development.
QA plays a crucial role in project development. Some of them are outlined here-
- Reduce the defects and errors
- Preventing defects from occurring
- Maintain the system quality as per the specifications
- Test the projects on failure parameters to check its fault tolerance
Click here to learn more about software testing, in this online Software Testing Course.
10. What are the tools of performance testing?
- LoadRunner(HP): This testing tool contains a wide array of application environments, platforms, and databases. It is typically suitable for web applications and others.
- QA load(Compuware): This tool is used for load testing of web, database, and char-based systems.
- WebLoad(RadView): It is used to compare running tests with test metrics.
- Rational Performance Tester (IBM): It allows finding out the presence and cause of bottlenecks.
- Silk Performer (Borland): This testing tool lets you predict the behavior of e-business environment.
- Explain the concepts of Test Fusion Report of QTP.
- Test Fusion report displays different aspects of the test run, soon after the tester runs a test. The Test Fusion report is used to display all the aspects of test run, it specifies where the application failures occurred, the test data used, and the detailed explanation of every checkpoint stating pass or failure and the application screenshots of every step by highlighting the discrepancies.
- Test Fusion Report is a compilation of the entire testing process. It includes an overview of where the failures occurred, the test data that was used in testing, screenshots to support inconsistencies and a detailed view of checkpoints.
Want to learn about the difference between Automation and Manual testing! Check out our blog on Manual Testing vs Automation Testing.