In this blog, we will discuss the following topics and get to know about Power BI job roles and responsibilities in detail.
Jobs in the business intelligence field have increased rapidly in the last few years due to data-centric strategies and data’s potential to drive decisions. This has led to skyrocketing opportunities for professionals who are proficient in data analytics.
Check out this video to get started with Power BI
Power BI Job Roles and Responsibilities
A Power BI developer typically has complete knowledge of the BI system. They are responsible for the development and administration of BI tools. And their main duty is to transform raw data into meaningful insights. This is accomplished through interactive and user-friendly dashboards and reports. The role of a Power BI developer is vital for businesses because of the executive, strategic, and managerial roles and responsibilities that come with it.
Power BI professionals are expected to perform a wide range of tasks such as reporting, building dashboards, building data models, analyzing datasets, and administration of Power BI tools.
Basic Requirements of a Power BI Developer Role
Power BI developers have to meet diversified requirements. This role requires extensive knowledge and expertise in business intelligence, databases, and technical aspects of BI tools. Some general background requirements for the role of a Power BI developer are:
- BS or MS in computer science or information system along with work experience in a related field
- Over five years of experience in data preparation, data gateway, and data warehousing projects
- Over five years of experience working with Microsoft Business Intelligence Stack having Power BI, SSAS, SSRS, and SSIS
- Three to four years of experience with a self-service tool such as Power BI or Tableau
Power BI Jobs
Power BI is a business intelligence and analytics service from Microsoft. It provides interactive visualizations and high-end analytics capabilities that help everyone to make smarter, real-time decisions. Power BI is on the top of the list of popular BI tools because of its ease of use and interactive visualizations.
Career opportunities related to this tool are wide; and Power BI roles, such as Power BI developers, Power BI consultants, and Power BI analysts, are in high demand.
Now that we know about the available Power BI jobs, let us study the job descriptions in detail.
Power BI Job Descriptions
The job of a Power BI specialist is designing, building, and deploying reports and dashboards using Microsoft Power BI.
Here is a typical job description and key responsibilities of Power BI professionals:
- Develop operational reports
- Build automated reports and dashboards with the help of Power BI and other reporting tools
- Understand business requirements to set functional specifications for reporting applications
- Be experienced in tools and systems on MS SQL Server BI Stack, including SSRS and TSQL, Power Query, MDX, PowerBI, and DAX
- Be able to quickly shape data into reporting and analytics solutions
- Create functional reporting
- Have knowledge of database fundamentals such as multidimensional database design, relational database design, and more
Power BI Job Roles
Professionals who work under this profile are responsible for designing, developing, and deploying business analytics dashboards using Microsoft BI technologies such as SQL, Power BI, etc.
Professionals who work under this profile are responsible to develop and execute new data analysis policies and build and verify new data models that help in decision-making. They work with technical teams to improve data analytics and business intelligence techniques.
Professionals who work under this profile are responsible for the development and administration of BI tools. They need to have complete knowledge of the Power BI system. The main duty of Power BI developers is to convert raw data into meaningful analysis with the help of interactive, easy-to-understand dashboards and reports.
Enroll in our Microsoft Power BI Certification Training and learn how to use Power BI from Day 1.
Power BI Responsibilities
The responsibilities of a Power BI developer can vary from business for business. They can be hired to design and develop BI reports or for providing insights to improve decision-making.
Power BI developers have a number of duties to perform and that requires thorough knowledge and expertise in business intelligence, databases, and technical BI concepts.
Power BI developers are hired to meet various requirements. The following are the various roles and responsibilities of Power BI developers:
- To understand business requirements in the BI context and design data models to convert raw data to meaningful insights.
- To create dashboards and visual interactive reports using Power BI.
- To identify KPIs with clear objectives and monitor them consistently.
- To analyze data and present it through reports that can help in decision-making.
- To be able to convert business requirements into technical specifications and decide the timeline to accomplish tasks.
- To design, develop, and deploy Power BI scripts and perform efficient detailed analysis.
- To perform DAX queries and functions in Power BI.
- To create charts and document data with algorithms, parameters, models, and relations explanations.
- To conduct data warehouse development.
- To perform SQL querying for best results.
- To use filters and graphs for a better understanding of the data.
- To define and design new systems by analyzing current ETL processes.
- To make technical changes to existing BI systems in order to enhance their working.
In a nutshell, a Power BI developer is responsible for managing the entire BI system; they also aim at leveraging Power BI for quick and smart real-time decisions.
Power BI Developer Skills
Power BI developers should have skills in business intelligence, data science, and data analytics with prior knowledge in data integration, data modeling, data warehousing, and presentation concepts.
The following are some of the required skills for Power BI developers:
- BI tools: Skills in BI tools and BI systems, such as Power BI, SAP, Tableau, etc., creating data-rich dashboards, implementing Row-level Security (RLS) in Power BI, writing DAX expressions, developing custom BI products with scripting and programming languages such as R, Python, etc.
- Experience in data-specific roles: A minimum experience of two or three years working with BI tools or any data-specific role with a sound knowledge of database management, data modeling, business intelligence, SQL querying, data warehousing, and online analytical processing (OLAP.)
- Microsoft BI stack: In-depth understanding and experience with Microsoft BI stacks such as Power Pivot, SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS.
- Data analytics: The ability to drill down data and visualize it in the best possible way through charts, reports, or dashboards.
- Software development skills: Understanding of software development architecture as well as technical aspects.
Some of the soft skills that are essential for Power BI developers are:
- Ability to communicate with business as well as technical teams
- Strong client management skills
- Ability to learn and quickly respond to rapidly changing business environment
- Be up to date about the best practices and advancements in development and design
- Multitasking and interpersonal skills
- Documenting, designing, and modeling solutions and explaining, representing, and discussing the same with the team
- Applying experience and knowledge to future solution considerations
- Have an analytical and problem-solving mindset and approach
- Continuous improvement
- Self-motivated and eager to learn
- Team player, leader, and initiator
Check out this blog on How To Become a Power BI Developer to learn more about it.
Power BI Jobs for Freshers
The business intelligence field is growing up the curve over the last few years. There are plenty of job opportunities in this field for working professionals and freshers alike. There are a lot of job openings in the business analyst profile for freshers that are being regularly posted on LinkedIn or career websites of businesses.
Today, there is much demand for Power-BI-certified professionals in most MNCs and bigger firms. Pursuing certifications in Power BI would give freshers an edge in their resume to grab job opportunities at the earliest in their careers.
Power BI jobs also offer a handsome salary and give professionals a chance of working with top companies. Thus, freshers working as Power BI developers, analysts, or consultants would definitely get a good start in their careers.
Check out these Power BI Interview Questions and Answers if you are preparing for a job interview.
What is the Salary of a Power BI Developer?
According to PayScale, Power BI professionals earn about INR660,000 p.a. in India on average. Salary.com has reported that Power BI professionals in the United States earn an average of about USD79,905 p.a. As per Talent.com, the average salary in this role is AUD115,000 p.a. in Australia and £45,307 p.a. in the UK. According to Glassdoor, the average salary of Power BI professionals working in Singapore is SD3,126,240 p.a.
We hope this article has shed some light on different job roles in Power BI along with the responsibilities and skills required.
For more information on Power BI, visit our Business Intelligence Community.