In today’s blog, we will be taking a brief look at PHP and how to become a PHP Developer, along with the full scope and career opportunities for PHP Developers. Listed below are the topics we will cover in this blog.
The trick to learning any programming language is to start small. Start with a very simple code, then work your way to more advanced programs. But, before that, it is essential to know what the language is all about and how you can apply it. So, here is a quick overview of PHP.
Check out this PHP tutorial by Intellipaat for beginners:
Introduction to PHP
PHP is a widely used scripting language for Web Development. The big draw for Web Developers to learn PHP is that it can be embedded into HTML, which makes it easy to manage. Otherwise, HTML can be quite long with its commands.
PHP is an acronym for Hypertext Preprocessor. Basic knowledge of HTML could help you easily comprehend how PHP functions. PHP enables the collection, processing, and utilization of data and facilitates interactions with all the pages.
Following are the key areas of the functions of PHP:
- Server-side scripting: A great way to start PHP for new learners
- Command-line scripting: Best for scripts that are made using Task Scheduler or Cron and for text processing
- Writing desktop applications: While not the best language for desktop applications, it offers several options in advanced Web Development compared to its competitors
Whatever you require for PHP, chances are that they will be readily available on your desktop. It is compatible with major operating systems, Windows, macOS X, Linux, etc. It also supports most of the popular servers, giving one the luxury of choosing.
PHP is very easy to pick up for beginners and complete novices while getting to work with all the advanced features that any seasoned professional will appreciate.
What is PHP Developer?
A PHP Developer is a professional who develops applications, websites, and programs using PHP. While they are also more generically called Software Developers or Web Developers, PHP Developers, in the true sense, are a specialized subset of the ‘Developer’ position, depending on their job description.
PHP is ubiquitous in website development, and PHP Developers usually work behind the scenes or create UIs. PHP is ideal for contract developers or freelancers as well.
How to become a PHP Developer?
Developers typically enter the field with a bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Science, or other related courses. The requirements to become a Web Developer are sometimes lower than what is required for a Software Developer.
Developers can start gaining experience in their student life through projects, internships, vocational training, etc. PHP Developer courses and certifications are also available for developers to stay updated on the latest technology.
A good developer will have a robust set of PHP developer skills and expertise:
- PHP at the beginner level
- Unix/Linux, APIs, and MVC framework architecture
- CakePHP: An open-source web framework
- PHPUnit: A unit testing framework
- Photoshop and other design tools
Some of the essential soft skills are good communication and problem-solving skills and the ability to think critically.
Developers, who have already entered the industry, can consider upskilling options in PHP if interested. A successful career path includes continued learning and additional education. Not only will upskilling help professionals go further in their current job, but the new skills acquired can become a crucial stepping stone to achieve new positions elsewhere in the industry.
Some employers may cite a wide range of skills for these professionals, along with graphics or SEO experience. Others may look for industry-specific ones. Some may even ask for experience playing games on social network sites. It depends on the job.
As a PHP Developer, being proficient in different stages of the lifecycle can improve your chances to move to better positions further in your career. The range of skills may extend from documenting requirements to providing for project management.
These developers can get an edge in the competition by following communities like PHPDeveloper.org. Interviews can get very technical when it comes to Web Development, so it is advisable to go through some sample interview questions that are easily available online.
Want to be ready for a Job? Check out our blog on React Interview Questions!
PHP Development Tools
The market is flooded with PHP development tools to increase programming efficiency, account for a perfect IDE (Integrated Development Environment), and allow a PHP Developer to work on feature-rich projects. Following are some of the popular PHP development tools:
- Zend Studio
- NuSphere PhpED
- Aptana Studio
- Sublime Text
- PHP Debug Bar
Check out these PHP Developer Interview Questions and be fully prepared for your next interview.
PHP Developer Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop, record, and maintain web-based PHP applications
- Build and maintain applications with the help of standard development tools
- Write clean object-oriented PHP and efficient SQL
- Update current websites and write semantic markup
- Evaluate, design, develop, and assist application systems
- Assess business requirements to identify risks and design appropriate solutions
- Prepare solutions using tools to come up with client-specific interfaces, data analysis libraries, and workflows
- Offer technical advice and expertise to product managers and other employees
- Document technical and non-technical specifications and procedures
- Maintain and manage complete documentation
- Review product requirement documents
- Suggest business decisions from a technical perspective, such as performance, scalability, security, and reliability
- Convey all task progress, schedules, suggestions, and evaluations, along with technical and process issues, effectively
- Work with experienced consultants to write design parameters
- Participate in calls with partners
- Address identified PHP-related development issues
Visit our Web Technology Community and drop your queries about Web Development.
Future Scope of a PHP Developer
Here are some highlights of using PHP:
- PHP is a widely popular language.
- Since PHP is easy to learn and adapt, it is widely used in blog sites.
- Publishing a website can be easily done in PHP with the support of CMS.
- MySQL can be easily implemented with PHP for server-based web applications using a database by even non-technical developers.
- PHP remains feature-rich and up-to-date with the addition of new frameworks and the latest technologies.
- PHP’s simplistic approach has made it popular and assures its applications in the future.
PHP Developers are among the most sought-after professionals in the industry. Following are the reasons why a career in PHP development is a good choice:
- PHP for Web Development: A career in PHP has a promising future as it is used by top players such as IBM, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. as the primary language for Web Development.
- Easy-to-learn scripting language: PHP is very easy to pick up as a language as its syntax is based on C and Java. Additionally, there are numerous online resources to learn PHP.
- Open source: PHP is 100 percent free as it is an open-source language. Further, software, such as Apache, SQL, etc., to build web applications are open source as well.
- OOPS support: PHP supports OOP like Java and C++ through inheritance, data encapsulation, and polymorphism. If you know Java and C++, you will find learning PHP very convenient and easy.
- Compatibility with all OS: There is no need for adding extra code lines in PHP for compatibility with OS in applications as it is compatible with all operating systems, namely, Windows, Mac, UNIX, and Linux.
- Framework: One of the reasons for PHP being popular is the framework availability such as Laravel, Symfony, Zend, etc. that support code reusability, which allows one to quickly build applications with minimized errors.
- Dynamic and flexible: PHP applications can be tailored and configured as per the client’s requirements. As PHP is open-source and backs code-reusability, one can easily apply elements of graphic design in existing applications.
- Resources: There is no lack of resources that cover a wide range of frameworks and tools that are PHP-supported. PHP is well documented in that regard.
- CMS development: Content management system or CMS development is very easy in PHP due to the customization offered in PHP for applications.
- Job opportunities: PHP Developers are highly sought after as most businesses nowadays are online.
PHP Developer Jobs
- There are over 8,000 jobs currently open for PHP Developers in India – LinkedIn
- 3,000+ jobs are available for PHP Developers in the United States – LinkedIn
Check out these Web Developer Interview Questions and be fully prepared for your next interview.
PHP Developer Salary
Salaries depend entirely on job roles and experience, among other factors. The annual average salary in India earned by PHP Developers is ₹278,716, according to PayScale. An entry-level PHP Developer with less than 1 year of experience can earn an average annual income of ₹172,073. PHP Developers with 1–4 years of experience can expect about ₹264,742 per year. PHP Developers with 5–9 years of experience can earn ₹543,053, whereas a PHP Developer with 10–19 years of experience under their belt can earn about ₹885,098 per annum.
According to Glassdoor, a PHP Developer in the United States earns an average of US$ 81,796 per year. An entry-level PHP Developer earns US$63,375 per year, while most experienced workers can earn up to US$130,000 annually.
On a final note, aspiring PHP professionals should consider getting certified. This can easily be done by enrolling in a PHP course and cracking the certification exam. The certification will prove to your future and prospective employers that you are well-versed in PHP programming. One can learn PHP from various resources online, classes offered by colleges, and other education programs, as well as from online learning institutes.
To acquire the skills necessary to become a Web Developer, you must enroll in one of the best Web Development Courses Online from Intellipaat.