ElastiCache eliminates the difficulty of establishing and operating a distributed cache system. It can boost web application performance by allowing you to obtain data from a fast, controlled in-memory cache rather than relying completely on the slower disk-based database. It is compatible with both Redis and Memcached caching engines.
Table of Contents:
Watch this Amazing AWS Tutorial video by Intellipaat:
Benefits of ElastiCache
Here are some Benefits of using AWS ElastiCache-
- Fully-managed – With Amazon ElastiCache you need not worry about backing up, recovering from failure, configuring, monitoring, software patching, etc. All this is handled by AWS.
- Scaleable- ElastiCache gives you the flexibility of scaling your business as your application grows. You can even increase the size of your Redis cluster environment to 500 shards, 500 nodes, and perhaps even 340TB of in-memory data.
Then, without any type of downtime, you can easily scale down the resources if you need to minimize expenditures.
- Improved application performance- In-memory data stores offered by ElastiCache significantly cut down on total response times.
The enhancement is so significant that ordinary read and write operations now take less than a millisecond.
- Highly available- AWS ElastiCache delivers high availability with automatic failover mitigation and detection in addition to cluster and non-cluster modes.
For instance, standby replicas immediately fix node failures. The same is true for reading operations; if the primary one is busy, the read replicas step in to serve the data and maintain the smooth operation of your program.
Check out Intellipaat’s AWS Certification Training to get ahead in your career!
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
Use Cases for ElastiCache
The following are some use cases that take advantage of ElastiCache to improve query speed while being cost-effective:
- Real-time analytics- When users shop online, product recommendations must be generated right away while they are still perusing the catalog.
This calls for the customer’s previously selected items to be cached and evaluated in realtime in order to suggest the next set of products.
- Message Management- When the message is delivered to subscribers via various channels, there is always a fluctuation of some subscribers canceling their subscriptions and others entering the channel.
Without a caching mechanism, there is a danger that communications will be lost or overlooked as a result of a delay. ElastiCache assists in keeping the subscription status correct and up to date.
- Leaderboards- The number of points that players have acquired and where they stand on the leaderboard are constantly updated in the gaming business.
To be able to continuously display the changing leadership positions, requires continuous updates, therefore caching is crucial.
Want to understand the concepts of AWS? Go through our AWS Training in Bangalore.
AWS ElastiCache for Redis
ElastiCache for Redis can provide sub-millisecond latency for powering real-time applications.
All your Redis apps can easily integrate with ElastiCache for Redis without even making any changes to the code.
ElastiCache for Redis combines the open-source Redis’s speed, simplicity, and versatility with Amazon’s manageability, security, and scalability to power the most demanding real-time applications in Gaming, Ad-Tech, E-Commerce, Healthcare, Financial Services, and IoT.
- Excellent Performance:
- Works as in-memory data storage for supporting applications that require very less response time.
- Compared to disk-based databases, in-memory data stores are faster.
- ElastiCache offers end-to-end software and hardware stack for lightning-fast performance.
- Fully Managed:
- It’s a completely managed service, all tasks such as hardware provisioning, setup, configuration, monitoring, etc. are all handled by AWS.
- Your clusters are monitored by ElastiCache in order to keep your Redis working, making you focus on your application development.
- It offers thorough monitoring metrics of your Redis consumption, allowing you to observe trends in your applications and make any necessary adjustments to the cluster configuration.
- Now you can manage groups more effectively while still maintaining security boundaries in your design thanks to granular access control.
- You can restrict your cluster to the IP ranges you select for your nodes by using Amazon ElastiCache for Redis, which supports Amazon VPC.
- To keep your Redis environment secure, the ElastiCache team continually scans for known security flaws in open-source Redis, operating systems, and firmware.
- You can easily scale Redis as your application grows.
- Your Redis Cluster setup can be scaled up to 500 nodes and 500 shards using this.
- It’s intended to facilitate online cluster scaling so that you may scale-out and scale-in your Redis clusters without experiencing downtime and adjusting to shifting demand.
Interested in learning AWS? Go through this AWS Tutorial!
How it works
- It is an excellent choice for implementing a secure in-memory cache for reducing access latency, and decreasing load from your relational databases and applications.
- With the help of ElastiCache, you can easily scale for higher loads without expanding the more expensive backend databases.
- It can deliver frequently requested items with response times of under one millisecond.
- Gaming Leaderboards:
- You can easily create Real-time gaming leaderboards.
- Simply make use of the Redis Sorted Set data structure, which guarantees element uniqueness while keeping the list sorted by scores.
- Time stamps can be used as the score in Sorted Sets to manage time series data.
- Machine Learning:
- With the help of fast in-memory data store building and deploying machine learning models becomes more efficient.
- You can use ElastiCache for Redis for processing live data and making decisions very quickly in use cases like fraud detection in banking services, matchmaking in dating sites, real-time bidding in ad tech, etc.
Enroll in our Machine Learning Training in collaboration with IIT Madras and learn from Expert to be an Expert.
AWS ElastiCache for Memcached
Amazon ElastiCache for Memcached is an in-memory, key-value storage service that can be used as a cache or a data store.
Because ElastiCache for Memcached is completely managed, scalable, and secure, it is a great choice for use cases where frequently used data needs to reside in memory.
It is a great option for use cases like e-commerce, mobile apps, and gaming.
- Excellent Performance:
- Amazon ElastiCache gives you secure, lightning-fast performance by using an end-to-end optimized stack operating on customer-dedicated nodes.
- Because ElastiCache adheres to Memcached’s standards, you can utilize popular tools with the service in current Memcached installations.
- Amazon ElastiCache with Memcached offers shared to grow in-memory cache with up to 20 nodes and 12.7 TiB per cluster.
- Auto Discovery:
- You can save time by using ElastiCache for Memcached Cluster Client with Auto Discovery to streamline how an application connects to a Memcached cluster.
- The client establishes a connection with a single cluster endpoint and obtains configuration details for further nodes.
- The client adjusts its configuration to use the most recent set of nodes whenever nodes are added or withdrawn.
Are you preparing for an AWS interview? Then here are the latest AWS interview questions
How it works
- If you want to install an in-memory cache to reduce access latency, boost throughput, and lighten the burden on your relational or NoSQL database, Amazon ElastiCache for Memcached is an excellent option.
- With sub-millisecond response rates, Amazon ElastiCache enables you to easily scale for bigger traffic without expanding the more expensive backend database layer.
- Session Store:
- The creation of session stores is simple with Amazon ElastiCache for Memcached.
- Use the distributed Memcached hash table, which is available on numerous nodes.
- It is simple to scale the session store by adding a node and upgrading the clients to utilize the new node.
You only pay for what you use with ElastiCache, the price increases as you scale.
AWS ElastiCache has established a complex pricing structure with multiple hourly and monthly charges for each of its node kinds.
There is a dedicated pricing calculator to help you calculate the exact price.
When it comes to caching, AWS ElastiCache is a great solution. It offers two excellent caching engines from which we may quickly select in accordance with our needs. The ideal approach is always to have a secondary cache server because it reduces the burden on the primary server.
Reach out to us in our AWS Community if you have any doubts about AWS services.