Top MSBI Interview Questions And Answers
Here are top 51 objective type sample MSBI Interview questions and their answers are given just below to them. These sample questions are framed by experts from Intellipaat who train for Msbi Online Training
to give you an idea of type of questions which may be asked in interview. We have taken full care to give correct answers for all the questions. Do comment your thoughts. Happy Job Hunting!
Wish to Learn MSBI? Click Here
Top Answers to MSBI Interview Questions
||Dashboards, guided navigation and drill down
|Type of Solution
||End-to-end Business solution with extended ETL
||Ease of installation, use, maintenance
2.Define Query parameter in SSRS?
Query parameters is revealed in the query of the datasources that are to be included into the SQL script’s where clause of the SQL that can accept parameters. Query parameters begin with the symbol @.
3.What are the Reporting Service Constituents in SSRS?
A. Report Manager : A Web-based administration tool for managing the Report Server.
B Report Server : Provides services for implementation and delivery of reports.
C. Report Designer : A place where we can create report.
Learn MSBI in 30 hrs. Download e-book now
4.What do you understand by matrix in SSRS?
A matrix is a data region related to a report set. Matrix permits us to create crosstab reports with the report variables showing on rows and columns. It allows us to drag.
5.What do you mean by sub reports and how we can create them?
A sub report is like any other reports which can be termed in main report and can be generate through main report. Parameters can be conceded from main report to sub report and basis of that report can be created.
6.Define report model project?
Report model project is used for creating Adhoc reporting. We can create the adhoc reports over report builder. Report model project can be created on bids or report server. This model can have simple view.
Wish to Learn MSBI? Click Here
7.What do you understand by report server project?
Report Server Project comprises of RDL file and it need to be deployed on report server to view the report files to application and user. It is a solution where we can design our reports. We can add it by going into BIDS clicking on new item and then selecting reports server project. Once the solution is formed we can start forming reports.
Interested in learning Microsoft Business Intelligence? We have the right Training Course.
8.Explain report builder?
Report builder is used to create small reports and it is a define interface. We can’t change the report interface in report builder it pre designed. We can just drag columns in the report. It creates reports on database objects available with report model project.
9. In which SQL Server type report builder introduced?
Report builder presented in SQL Server 2005. While creating or arranging report model project on report server we can get error or it might not get formed. For this we need to check whether the service pack 22 is installed or not.
Download latest questions asked on MSBI in top MNC's ?
10.How to organise the Report?
Report can be organized in three ways :
- Using visual studio : In visual studio we can directly deploy the report through solution explorer by providing the report server URL in project properties at Target Server URL. This will organize entire project or single report as per our selection.
- Using report server : We can directly go to the report server and deploy the report by looking the report from the disk location on server.
- Creating the utility : SQL server provides the utility which can be used to create a modify utility for our report deployment in bulk.
Get a detailed understanding of MSBI in this MSBI Tutorial now.
11.Define RS.exe utility?
Rs.exe utility is used for organizing the report on report server. It comes with the report server and can be modify accordingly.
12.What is the name of reporting services config file and what it is used for?
Reporting service config file is used for report configuration details. It contains the report format and also the report import types. Report service config exist in ISS.
13.What are the three different part of RDL file elaborate them?
In visual studio RDL files has three parts.
- Data : It covers the dataset on which we write the query. Data set is associated with data source.
- Design : In design we can design report. We can create tables and matrix reports. We Drag columns values from source.
- Preview : It ia used to check the preview after the report run.
14.Which language rdl files made of?
RDL files are printed in XML.
15.What do you understand by chart in report?
Chart reports are for graphical representation. We can get pie charts columns harts and various other options. 3d charts are also presented in reporting services.
16.Define Data Set in report?
Data set are the set of data which we want to show in report. Data creates on data source. Data source is the source of data from where we are receiving this data i.e. database server and database name joining string.
17.Name different types of data sources in SSRS?
- SQL Server SAP Net weaver BI.
- Report Server Model.
- SQL Server Analysis Service OLEDB.
- SAP Net weaver BI.
18.What is the web service used for reporting services?
Reporting Service Web Service used in SSRS. By retrieving this web service we can access all report server section and also get the report organized on report server..
19.How to enhance the custom code in Report?
To enhance the custom codes in report go to report tab on top then properties and there you will find the selections for custom code.
20.Define cache in SSRS?
Report server can lay up a copy of processed report in a memory and return the copy when a user opens the report. This server memory is called as cache and the process is known as caching.
21.Elaborate Web service task in SSIS?
- First we configure HTTP Connection manager which will point to WSDL of a web service.
- Web service task customs this HTTP Connection manager and let us invoke methods in it.
- It return values of method value we can store it in some variables and can use as input for some other tasks.
Give your career a big boost by going through our MSBI Online Training Videos now!
22.Explain transfer SQL Server object task?
It allows us to allocate different SQL server objects between different instances of SQL Server.Object incomes from table, stored procedures, user defined functions etc.
23.In SSIS is it conceivable to communicate with MSMQ?
Yes, it is possible for that we have Message Queue task. It contract us send messages to MSMQ and receive message from MSMQ.
24.What is the advantage of using MSMQ?
MSMQ helps in communicating two applications with each other asynchronously. Specialty is two application may be built using dissimilar technology and it works even offline messaging. Sender will stock messages inside queue and reader reads it wherever required.
25.What are the Different Lookup Cache Modes Available in SSIS?
- Full Cache Mode.
- Partial Cache Mode.
- No Cache Mode.
- Full Cache Mode
26.Differentiate between SSRS 2005 and SSRS 2008
The major differences between SSRS 2005 and SSRS 2008 are as follows:
SSRS 2005 report server requires IIS, whereas SSRS 2008 comes with a build-in web server and hence does not require IIS.
27.Explain architecture of SSIS?
SSIS architecture involves four key parts :
a) Integration Services service :
It monitors running Integration Services packages and accomplishes the storage of packages.
b) Integration Services object model :
It contains managed API for reading Integration Services tools, command-line utilities, and custom applications.
c) Integration Services runtime and run-time executables :
It keeps the layout of packages, runs packages, and provides support for logging, breakpoints, configuration, connections, and transactions.
d) Data flow engine :
It provides the in-memory buffers that move data from source to destination.
28.How we can do Logging in SSIS?
Logging Configuration provides an inbuilt feature which can log the detail of various events like onError, onWarning etc .
29.How we can do Error Handling?
SSIS package contain mainly have two types of errors :
a) Procedure Error : It can be handled in Control flow bythe precedence control and redirecting the execution flow.
b) Data Error : it is handled in DATA FLOW TASK by redirecting the data flow using Error Output of a component.
30.How we can pass property value at Run time?
A property value like connection string for a Connection Manager can be passed to the pkg using package configurations.
31.How can we organize a SSIS Package on production?
A)Through Manifest we can organize it :
- Create deployment utility by setting its properties as true .
- It will be formed in the bin folder of the solution once package is build.
- Copy all the files in the utility and use manifest file to display it on the Prod.
B) Using DtsExec.exe utility.
C)Import Package directly in MSDB from SSMS by logging in Integration Services.
32.Define Execution Tree?
Execution trees demonstrate how package uses buffers and threads. At run time, the data flow engine breaks down Data Flow task operations into execution trees.
33.Differentiate between Unionall and Merge Join?
a) Merge transformation can take only two inputs whereas Union all can take more than two inputs
b) Data has to be sorted before Merge Transformation whereas Union all doesn’t have any boundation like that.
34.How we can restart package from previous failure point? Define Checkpoints and how they are implement in SSIS?
When a package is arranged to use checkpoints, material about package execution is written to a checkpoint file. When the failed package is rerun, the checkpoint file is used to restart the package from the point of failure. If the package runs effectively, the checkpoint file is deleted, and then re-created the next time that the package is run.Learn more about MSBI in this MSBI Certifications Training to get ahead in your career!
35.Where do you store SSIS package in the SQL Server?
MSDB.sysdtspackages90 stores the original content .
36.What are the three stages of Enterprise Reporting Life Cycle ?
c. Access and Delivery
37.What are the apparatuses included in SSRS?
1. A Complete set of Tools that can be used to generate, succeed and view reports
2. A Report Server component that hosts and processes reports in many formats. Output formats include HTML, PDF and more.
3.An API that allows developers to mix or spread data and report processing in custom applications, or create custom tools to build and manage reports.
38.What are the benefit of using embedded code in a report?
The benefits are:
1. Reuseability of Code: function created in embedded code to achieve a logic can be then used in manifold expressions
2. Centralized code: it helps in better manageability of code.
39.Which programming language can be used to code embedded functions in SSRS?
Visual Basic .NET Code is used to code embedded fuctions in SSRS.
40.What important terms can be used in the reporting services?
1. Report definition: A report definition contains information about the query and layout for the report.
2. Report snapshot: A report snapshot is actually a report definition that contains a dataset instead of query instructions.
3. Rendered report: A fully processed report that contains both data and layout information, in a format suitable for viewing (such as HTML).
4. Parameterized report: A published report that accepts input values through parameters.
5. Shared data source: A predefined, standalone item that contains data source connection information.
6. Shared schedule: It is a predefined, standalone item that covers schedule information.
7. Report-specific data source: Data source information which is defined within a report definition.
8. Report model: A semantic description of business data, used for ac hoc reports created in Report Builder.
9. Linked report: It is a report that derives its definition through a link to another report.
41.What are the Command Line Utilities available in Reporting Services?
• Rsconfig Utility (Rsconfig.exe): encrypts and stores connection and account values in the RSReportServer.config file.
• RsKeymgmt Utility: it is used to Extracts, restores, creates, and deletes the symmetric key used to protect sensitive report server data against unauthorized access
• RS Utility: this utility is mainly used to automate report server deployment.
42.How we can know Report Execution History?
We can know Report Execution History as the execution log table in report server database contains all the logs from the last two months so we can see it from there.
43.Differentiate between Tablular and Matrix report?
1. Tablular report: It is the most basic type of report. Each column corresponds to a column selected from the database.
2. Matrix report: A matrix report is a cross-tabulation of four groups of data:
a. One group of data is displayed across the page.
b. One group of data is displayed down the page.
c. One group of data is the cross-product.
d. One group of data is displayed as the “filler” of the cells.
44.How we can create Drill-through reports?
By Using Navigation property of a cell and scenery child report and its parameters in it we can create Drill-through reports.
45.How to create Drill-Down reports?
1. By grouping data on essential fields
2.Then toggle reflectivity based on the grouped filed
46.How we can schedule a SSIS packages?
Using SQL Server Agent we can schedule a SSIS packages.
47.Define Asynchronous transformation?
Asynchronous transformation have various Input and Output buffers and it is up to the component designer. It provide a column structure to the output buffer and hook up the data from the input.
48.How we can achieve parallelism in SSIS?
Parallelism is achieved using MaxConcurrentExecutable stuff of the package. Its default is -1 and is calculated as number of computers + 2.
49.How we can do incremental load?
Accurate and fastest way to do incremental load is by using Timestamp column in source table and then storing last ETL timestamp.
50.How we can handle Early Arriving Facts.
Early Arriving Facts sometime get unavoidable because delay or error in Dimension ETL or may be due to logic of ETL. To handle Early arriving Facts, we can create dummy Dimension with natural/business key and keep rest of the attributes as null or default.
51.Define SQL Server Reporting Services(SSRS)?
SQL Server Reporting Services
is a server-based reporting platform that we can use to create and manage tabular, matrix, graphical, and free-form reports that contain data from relational and multidimensional data sources.