As a beginner, it can be extremely daunting to understand Data Science, have a good understanding of the concepts involved, and gain hands-on experience in them. One of the best ways to become good at Data Science or anything creative is by deliberately practicing the acquired skills to reinforce them in your brain. For this, you may have to work on various projects but, as a beginner, it can be quite difficult to choose not-very-complicated Data Science projects—some projects may be difficult to implement and some may not help you push yourself to the limits. If all this sounds familiar to you, then this blog is for you.
In this blog, we will discuss the best projects in Data Science for beginners to try out and expand their knowledge and skill set. These Data Science project ideas will also help you get a taste of how to deal with real-world Data Science problems.
This blog will discuss the following topics:
Check out our Data Science Project Tutorial Video on YouTube designed especially for Beginners:
Data Science Project Ideas
Without delay, let us start exploring the most interesting Data Science projects for beginners.
Recommendation System Project
A recommendation system is one of the most important aspects of any content-based application such as blog, e-commerce website, streaming platform, etc. A recommendation system suggests new content to users from the site’s content library or database based on what the users have already viewed and liked. A recommendation system needs data about users and their activities on the site as well as information about the content so that it can be classified and recommended to the users based on their tastes and preferences. A project-based recommendation system is also one of the most popular Data Science project ideas.
These systems can be built by using the following techniques:
- Collaborative filtering: In this technique, the system generates recommendations for users based on other users who have viewed and liked similar things. This technique is good but can end up generating bad recommendations as the users who were used for generating recommendations may have changed their opinion about a movie they had liked in the past, which might lead the engine to recommend a movie that a user similar to you may not like right now. Moreover, the geographical and cultural context of users may make them consider the recommendations to be undesirable.
- Content-based filtering: In this technique, the system generates recommendations for users by recommending content similar to what the users have previously viewed and liked. This technique is much more stable and consistent than collaborative filtering as it relies on the users’ own preferences as well as on the attributes of the available content, which do not usually change over time.
This is one of the most interesting projects. There are many other techniques that are quite advanced and complicated, but these two techniques would be enough for you to build your own recommendation engine as a beginner. You can train the engine to be used for recommending movies, blog posts, products, etc.
- Movie or web show recommendation system
- Product recommendation system
- Blog post recommendation system
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
Data Analysis Project
Data analysis is one of the core skills that is needed by a data scientist. In data analysis, you take some data and try to gain insights from it by analyzing it in order to make better decisions. One of the ways in which we can simplify the analysis is by generating visualizations that can be interpreted easily. The scope of data analysis is vast but this is one of the most useful Data Science projects.
Today, data is considered more important than oil. All companies store data about their users and how they interact with the products. This data allows companies to craft better policies and features that help solve customer problems and attract more user engagement with the platform.
Willing to master the most in-demand technology? Enroll in this Data Science course in Kottayam Now!
For example, if you are working on the data of an e-commerce company and find that users from a particular country buy only specific kinds of products, then you can use this information to get a better understanding of why it is happening and to generate better product recommendations for more engagement.
Companies, such as Uber, Amazon, Flipkart, etc., use data analysis to create better offers and generate better quotes to meet customer expectations in the best way possible. It is one of the projects in Data Science that many companies implement in their own ways.
For Data Science projects on data analysis, you can use e-commerce datasets or datasets from ride-hailing apps, such as Uber, Lyft, etc.
- Analysis of cab and weather data
- Analysis of store sales data
- Generate offers using association rule mining
Master the skills to become a top Data Scientist by enrolling for Intellipaat’s Data Science Online Course.
Sentiment Analysis Project
Sentiment analysis is used to add emotional intelligence to systems. It is one of the projects in Data Science that people start with when they wish to learn how to process text. For example, when a user types in a comment on a video or blog post, sentiment analysis can be used to determine if the comment is appreciative, disparaging, critical, etc. These can also be used to classify emails, messages, reviews, queries, etc.
One of the major applications of these kinds of Data Science projects can be seen on public platforms, such as Twitter, Reddit, etc., where users post things that are tagged to indicate the type of content contained in them, i.e., positive or negative, with the help of sentiment analysis. This technique helps companies to understand, process, and tag even unstructured text.
These projects on sentiment analysis can be quite useful for various companies. Sentiment analysis can also be used to analyze and make sense of reviews, complaints, queries, emails, product descriptions, etc. For instance, you can use sentiment analysis to generate tags for such content as being negative, positive, neutral, etc.
- For classifying emails as positive or negative
- For labeling tweets as positive or negative
- For categorizing emotions on an audio based on speech patterns
Fraud Detection Project
Fraud detection is one of the most important Data Science projects and also one of the most challenging for final-year students. With many forms of online and digital transactions being used widely, the chances of them being fraudulent are increasingly high. Since any form of digital transaction generates data regarding current and previous transactions, as well as customer purchase records, you can use these data and Data Science techniques to identify if the transactions are potentially fraudulent.
Any transaction done digitally is bound to create some data. When a customer uses a digital medium to make a payment, you can use this generated data with the trained model to flag the transaction as potentially fraudulent, which can later be dealt with and reviewed. This is one of the most important projects to practice in case you wish to be able to build Machine Learning models based on data about user activity.
Large amounts of money are being digitally transferred every day; thus, you should be able to classify if these records are fraudulent or not. To do this, you have to create models that are trained on the data collected from previous transactions. These models use and analyze factors such as the amount transferred, the location it is transferred from, the location to which it is transferred, etc. These factors are taken into account when new transactions take place, and then, based on these factors, they are flagged as fraudulent or authentic transactions.
- Credit card fraud detection
- Transaction records fraud detection
Preparing for job interviews? Go through our list of most-asked questions on our blog on Data Science Interview Questions and Answers.
Image Classification Project
Image classification is one of the Data Science projects that can be used to classify and tag images based on their content. Image classification is widely used in the fields of science, security, etc. This is also among the most important applications of Data Science as it is very difficult to classify images with traditional application programming. Earlier, a lot of time and research was required to generate complicated rules and image transformations to classify images, and the result was still quite prone to errors. With Data Science, you can create models by training them with a lot of labeled images. These models can then generate Machine Learning classification rules on their own, and you can feed new images to be classified by the classification rules.
In Data Science projects like these kinds of classifications can be done by using several algorithms, and it is better to use several algorithms to find the one that performs the best for your dataset. You will have to make sure to use a large collection of images with good resolution for training and testing purposes. Image classification also requires you to have a good grasp of fundamental image concepts and manipulation techniques such as image reshaping, resizing, edge detection, etc.
- Digit recognition system
- Facial detection system
- Gender and age detection system
Image Caption Generator Project in Python
Any social media application that allows storing and sharing images lets users provide captions to those images. The captions are given to provide more context and necessary information about the images. The captions also help in things such as Search Engine Optimization (SEO), content ranking, etc. In blogs, having a caption or good description of what a particular image contains can be very helpful for the readers. Captions also help with accessibility and allow screen reader software to help people with disabilities get a better understanding of the content of the image. Generating these captions can be one of the most challenging Data Science projects.
However, in many cases, generating captions is a long and tedious process, especially when there are a lot of images. To solve this issue, you can generate captions based on what is actually shown in the image. The captions will serve as descriptions of what the images have in them, e.g., a man surfing, a dog smiling, etc.
To do this, you need to understand and use neural networks, especially convolutional neural networks (CNNs) and long short-term memory (LSTM). There are a lot of large datasets available to do this task such as Flickr8k dataset. If training a new model is not possible on your current machine, then you can use the available pretrained models as well. Image Caption Generator is one of the best Data Science projects to understand how to process images using neural networks.
- Twitter hashtag generator for images
- Facebook image caption generator
- Blog post image alt-text generator
Thinking of getting a master’s degree in Data Science? Enroll in the MSc in Data Science in India!
Chatbot Project in Python
Chatbots are one of the most essential parts of any customer-centric app of the day. They help in the better tracking of customer issues, faster issue resolution, and generating commands using normal text. For example, many bots on platforms, such as Slack and GitHub, allow you to perform certain tasks just by writing and sending them requirements in the chat box. Chatbots also help customers get resolutions to their grievances without any human interaction. For example, food delivery apps, such as Uber Eats and DoorDash, use chatbots to assist users to resolve common issues including refunds, missing food items, incorrect items, etc.
There are two types of chatbots:
- Domain-specific chatbots: A domain-specific chatbot is a chatbot that can be used to answer questions based on a particular domain, such as healthcare, engineering, etc. So, it needs to be customized quite effectively to suit our needs.
- Open-domain chatbots: An open-domain chatbot is a chatbot that can be used to ask questions about any domain, which means that it does not require careful customizations. However, it does need a large volume of data from where to learn.
Data Science projects like these make extensive use of Natural Language Processing (NLP). Implementing a chatbot requires a good grasp of concepts related to NLP, access to a dataset that contains the patterns that you need to find and the responses that you have to return to the user.
- Customer care using a chatbot
- Customer feedback using a chatbot
- Quote generation using a chatbot
Brain Tumor Detection with Data Science
There are many applications of Data Science in the healthcare field as well. One of these is brain tumor detection. In this project, you will take a lot of labeled images of MRI scans and train a model using them. Once the model is well-trained, you will use it to check an MRI image to see if there is any chance of detection of a brain tumor.
To implement these kinds of Data Science projects, you need access to MRI scan images of the human brain. Thankfully, there are datasets available on Kaggle. All you have to do is use these images to train your model so that, when fed with similar images, it can classify them as detecting a brain tumor or not. Though such models do not completely remove the need for a consultation from a domain expert, they do help doctors get a quick second opinion.
- Brain tumor detection using MRI images
- Brain tumor detection using vital information
- Brain tumor detection using patient history
Traffic Sign Recognition
Nowadays, one of the most popular applications of Data Science is self-driving cars. Although a self-driving car could be very difficult and expensive to work with, you can implement a specific and important feature needed in a self-driving car, which is traffic sign recognition.
In this project, you will use images of different traffic signs and label them, depicting what the signs are indicating. The more images there are, the more accurate the model will be, though it will take longer to train the model. You will start by using convolutional neural networks (CNNs) to build the model with images that are labeled with what is being indicated by a specific traffic sign. Your model will learn with the help of these images and labels. Next, when a new image is given as the input, the model will be able to classify it.
- Gesture recognition system
- Sign language translator
- Product quality checking system
Looking to get started with Data Science? Check out our comprehensive Data Science Tutorial for Beginners now!
Fake News Detection
A recent study done by MIT claims that fake news spreads six times faster than real news. Fake news is becoming a great source of trouble in all spheres of life. It leads to a lot of problems around the globe, ranging from political polarization, violence, and propagation of misinformation to religious and cultural conflicts. It is also troubling that more and more unverified sources of information, especially social media platforms, are gaining traction; this is doubly concerning as these platforms do not have systems in place to distinguish between fake news and real news.
To tackle a problem like this, especially on a smaller scale, you can use a dataset that contains fake news and real news labeled in the form of textual information. You can use NLP and techniques such as Term Frequency-Inverse Document Frequency (TF-IDF) Vectorizer. This allows you to enter some text from a news article to get a label that tells if it is fake news or real news. It is important to note that these labels may not be 100 percent accurate, but they can give a good approximation to know what is correct or real.
- Fake news checker
- Fact checker
- Information verification system
Forest Fire Prediction
Building a forest fire prediction model can be a great data science project. Forest fire or wildfire are known to be uncontrollable and capable of causing a large amount of damage. You can apply k-means clustering to manage wildfires as well as assume their disrupted nature. It will also help to spot the major fire hotspots and their severity.
This model can also be useful in the proper allocation of resources. Meteorological data can be used to search for specific periods and seasons for wildfires to increase the accuracy of the model.
Become a Data Science engineer with expertise in Python. Enroll in Data Science with Python Certification in Philippines
Human Action Recognition
This model will attempt to execute classification based on human actions. The human action recognition model will analyze short videos of human beings performing specific actions.
This Data Science project will require the use of a complex neural network that is trained on a specific dataset containing short videos. Accelerometer data is associated with the dataset. First, the accelerometer data conversion is performed along with a time-sliced representation. The Keras library is then used to train, validate, and test the network based on these datasets.
Classifying Breast Cancer
Breast cancer cases are on the rise, and early detection is the best possible way to take suitable measures. A breast cancer detection system can be built by using Python. You can use the Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC) dataset carrying the histology images for cancer-inducing malignant cells. The model can be trained based on this dataset.
Some useful Python libraries that will be helpful for this Data Science project are NumPy, Keras, TensorFlow, OpenCV, Scikit-learn, and Matplotlib.
Gender Detection and Age Prediction
Gender Detection and Age Prediction with OpenCV is an impressive Data Science project idea that can easily grab a recruiter’s attention if it is on your resume. This real-time Machine Learning project is based on computer visioning.
Through this project, you will come across the practical application of convolutional neural networks (CNNs). Eventually, you will also get the opportunity to implement models that are trained by Tal Hassner and Gil Levi for Adience dataset collection. This collection contains unfiltered faces and working with them will help with gender and age classification.
The project may also require the use of files such as .pb, .prototxt, .pbtxt, and .caffemodel. This project is very practical, and the model can detect any age and gender via an image using single face detection.
While gender and age ranges can be classified with this model, due to various factors, such as makeup, poor lighting, or unusual facial expressions, the accuracy of the model can become a challenge. Therefore, a classification model instead of a regression model can be used.
Tips for a Good Data Science Project
Now, let us discuss some key aspects of a good Data Science project:
- Language: You can use any programming language of your choice, whatever you are comfortable with and is familiar to you. Just make sure that the language you are using is a popular one so that other people can collaborate and understand your code and can help you with it. But still, some of the most popular languages for data science are R and Python. Data Science projects in Python are especially useful as it is more widely used than R.
- Datasets: You can get datasets from several sources, but make sure that you are using a large enough dataset that does not contain a lot of errors and incorrect data. In case your dataset has many errors, try removing those errors or use another dataset. To get good datasets, try using Kaggle or UCI Machine Learning Repository.
- Visualizations: Before training your model, try to get a good understanding of the dataset through visualization. You can find useful information, including correlated columns, bias, etc., in your dataset through visualizations. If any issue is found in your dataset, such as the dataset being skewed, biased, or having outliers, try rectifying the same before proceeding.
- Data cleaning: Make sure that the data you are using is clean and usable. The reason is that the data with a lot of errors will lead to a terrible performance of the model.
- Data transformation: In case you use multiple datasets from different sources, it can be difficult to merge them as they can be quite different from each other. For example, different datasets may end up using different formats for dates, different measurement units based on specific geographical locations, etc.; so, you may have to transform the data to make it standardized to train your model.
- Validation: Try to validate your model’s accuracy by using multiple slices of your dataset with the help of techniques such as stratified k-folds cross-validation to get a more accurate performance from your model. If you find issues, try digging deeper to rectify them.
In this blog, we have discussed the most relevant real-time Data Science projects as well as some tips for beginners to be able to better utilize their skills and tackle some real-world problems using various datasets. Hopefully, this blog was helpful and informative to you.
You can also explore this Data Science course in Pune to know more about Data Science projects!