As a beginner in Data Science, it can be extremely daunting to understand Data Science, getting a good hold of the concepts involved, and gaining hands-on experience in them. One of the best ways to become great at Data Science or anything creative is deliberately practicing the acquired skills to reinforce them in your brain. For this, you may have to work on various data science projects, but as a beginner, it is quite difficult for you to choose the data science projects that are not so complicated. Some of them may be difficult to implement, and some may not help you push yourself to the limits to get you better. If all this sounds familiar to you, then this blog is for you. In this blog, we will discuss the best Data Science Projects for beginners to try out and expand their knowledge and skill set. These Data Science Project Ideas will also help you get a taste of how to deal with real-world Data Science problems.
Top 10 Data Science Project Ideas that will boost your resume:
Check out our Data Science Project Tutorial Video on YouTube designed especially for Beginners:
Without delay, let’s start exploring the most interesting Data Science Projects for beginners.
1. Recommendation System Project
Recommendation Systems are one of the most important aspects of any content-based application, such as a blog, an e-commerce website, a streaming platform, etc. A recommendation system will suggest new content to users from the site’s content library (database) based on what the users have already viewed and liked. These systems need data about users, their activities on the site, and information about the content so that it can be classified and recommended to the users based on their tastes. Recommendation Systems are also one of the most popular project ideas on Data Science.
These systems can be built using different kinds of techniques as follows:
- Collaborative filtering: In this technique, the system generates recommendations for users based on what other users who are similar have viewed and liked. This technique is good but can end up generating bad recommendations as similar users who were used to generate recommendations may have changed their opinion about a movie they had liked in the past which might lead the engine to recommend a movie that a user similar to you does not like right now. Moreover, the geographical and cultural context of users may make them consider the recommendations to be undesirable.
- Content-based filtering: In this technique, the system generates recommendations for users by showing up the content similar to what they have viewed and liked before. This technique is much more stable and consistent than the collaborative filtering technique as it relies on the users’ own taste of the content, as well as on the attributes of the available content that do not usually change over time.
This is one of the most interesting Data Science Projects. There are many other techniques that are quite advanced and complicated, but these two would be enough for you to build your own recommendation engine as a beginner. You can train the engine to be used for recommending movies, blog posts, products etc.
- Movie recommendation system
- Product recommendation system
- Blog post recommendation system
Get 50% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
2. Data Analysis Project
Data analysis is one of the core skills that a Data Scientist needs to have. In data analysis, we take some data and try to gain more insights into it to make better decisions by analyzing it. One of the ways in which we can simplify the analysis is by generating visualizations that can be interpreted easily. This is one of the most useful Data Science Project Ideas.
Today, for any enterprise, data is more important than oil. Each company stores data about its users and how the users interact with its products. This data allows the company to craft better policies and features that help solve customer problems and attract more user engagement with the platform.
For example, if we are working on the data of an e-commerce company and find that users from a particular country buy only specific kinds of products, we can use this information to get a better understanding of why it is happening and to generate better products recommendations for more engagement.
Companies such as Uber, Amazon, Flipkart, etc. use data analysis to create better offers and generate better price quotes to meet customer expectations in the best way possible. It is one of the Data Science Project Ideas that many companies have implemented in their own way.
For Data Science Projects on data analysis, we can use e-commerce datasets or datasets from ride-hailing apps, such as Uber, Ola, etc.
- Analysis of cab and weather data
- Analysis of store sales data
- Generating offers using association rule mining
Master the skills to become a top Data Scientist by enrolling for Intellipaat’s Data Science Online Course.
3. Sentiment Analysis Project
Sentiment analysis is used to add emotional intelligence to systems. It is one of the Data Science Project Ideas that people start with when they wish to learn how to process text. For example, when a user types in a comment on a video or a blog post, sentiment analysis can be used to determine if the comment is appreciative, disparaging, critical, etc. These can also be used to classify emails, messages, reviews, queries, etc.
One of the major applications of these kinds of Data Science Project Ideas can be seen on public platforms such as Twitter, Reddit, etc. where users post things that are tagged to indicate the type of content they contain, i.e., positive or negative, with the help of sentiment analysis. This technique helps companies understand, process, and tag even unstructured text.
Data Science Projects on Sentiment analysis can be quite useful for various organizations. Sentiment analysis can also be used to analyze and make sense of reviews, complaints, queries, emails, product descriptions, etc. For instance, we can use sentiment analysis to generate tags for such content as being negative, positive, neutral, etc.
- For classifying emails as positive or negative
- For labeling tweets as positive or negative
- For categorizing emotions in speech-based on audio
4. Fraud Detection Project
Fraud detection is one of the most important Data Science Project Ideas and also one of the most challenging Data Science Projects for final year students. With many forms of online and digital transactions coming into wide use, the chances of them being fraudulent are getting quite high. Since any form of digital transaction generates data regarding current and previous transactions, as well as customer purchase records, we can use these data and Data Science techniques to identify if these transactions are potentially fraudulent.
Any transaction done digitally is bound to create some data. When a customer uses a digital medium to make a payment, we can use this generated data with our trained model to flag the transaction as potentially fraudulent, which can later be reviewed and dealt with. This one of the most important Data Science Project Ideas to practice in case you wish to be able to build models based on data about user activity
Massive amounts of money are being digitally transferred every day, and thus, we should be able to classify if these records are fraudulent or not. To do this, we create models that are trained on the data collected from previous transactions. These models use and analyze factors such as the amount transferred, the location it is transferred from, the location to which it is transferred, etc. These factors are taken into account when new transactions take place, and then, based on these factors, they are flagged as fraudulent or authentic transactions.
- Credit card fraud detection
- Transaction records fraud detection
Preparing for job interviews? Read our list of most-asked questions on our blog on Data Science Interview Questions and Answers.
5. Image Classification Project
Image classification is one of the Data Science Project Ideas that can be used to classify and tag images based on their content. Image classification is widely used in the fields of science, security, etc. This is also among the most important applications of Data Science as, with traditional application programming, it is very difficult to classify images. Earlier, it required a lot of time and research to generate complicated rules and image transformations to classify images, and it was still quite error-prone. With Data Science, we can create models by training them with a lot of labeled images. Then, these models can generate classification rules on their own, and we can feed them new images to be classified.
In Data Science Project Ideas like these classification can be done using several algorithms, and it is better to use multiple of them to find the one that performs the best for our dataset. Also, we have to make sure to use a large collection of images with good resolution for training and testing purposes. Image classification also requires us to have a good grasp of fundamental image concepts and manipulation techniques, such as image reshaping, resizing, edge detection, etc.
- Digit recognition system
- Face detection system
- Gender and age detection system
6. Image Caption Generator Project in Python
Any social media application that allows storing and sharing images lets users provide captions to those images. The captions are given to provide more context and necessary information about images. These captions also help in things such as Search Engine Optimization (SEO), content ranking, etc. Also, in blogs, having a caption or a good description of what a particular image contains can be very helpful for the readers. Captions on images also help with accessibility and allow screen reader software to help people with disabilities get a better understanding of the content of the image. Generating these captions can be one of the most challenging Data Science Project Ideas.
However, in many cases, generating captions is a long and tedious process, especially when we have lots of images. To solve this issue, we can generate captions based on what the image actually contains. The captions will serve as descriptions of what the images have in them, e.g., if they contain a man surfing, a dog smiling, etc.
To do this, we need to understand and use neural networks, especially convolutional neural networks (CNNs), and long short-term memory (LSTM). There are a lot of large datasets available to do this task, like the Flickr8K dataset. If training a new model is not possible on our current machine, then we can use the pre-trained models available as well. This is one of the best Data Science Project Ideas to understand how to process images using neural networks.
- Twitter hashtag generator for images
- Facebook images caption generator
- Blog post image alt-text generator
7. Chatbot Project in Python
Chatbots are one of the most essential parts of any customer-centric app of the day. They help in the better tracking of customer issues, faster issue resolution, and generating commands using normal text. For example, many bots on platforms such as Slack and GitHub allow us to perform certain tasks just by writing and sending them the requirements in the chat box. Chatbots also help customers get a resolution to their grievances without any human interaction. For example, food delivery apps like Zomato and Swiggy use chatbots to assist users to resolve common issues, including refunds, missing food items, incorrect items, etc.
There are two types of chatbots:
- Domain-specific chatbots: A domain-specific chatbot is a chatbot that can be used to answer questions based on a particular domain only, such as healthcare, engineering, etc., so it needs to be customized quite effectively to suit our needs.
- Open-domain chatbots: An open-domain chatbot, on the other hand, can be used to ask questions about any domain, which means that it does not require careful customizations. However, it does need a large volume of data to learn from.
Data Science Project Ideas like these make extensive use of Natural Language Processing (NLP). Implementing a chatbot requires a good grasp of concepts related to Natural Language Processing (NLP) and access to a dataset that contains the patterns that we need to find and the responses that we have to return to the user.
- Customer care using a chatbot
- Customer feedback using a chatbot
- Price quote generation using a chatbot
8. Brain Tumor Detection with Data Science
Data Science has many applications in the healthcare field as well. One of these is brain tumor detection. In this application, we take a lot of labeled images of MRI scans and train a model using them. Once the model is trained well, we use it to check if an MRI image shows any chance of having a brain tumor.
To implement these kinds of Data Science Project Ideas, we need access to MRI scan images of the human brain. Thankfully, there are datasets available on Kaggle. All we have to do is use these images to train our model so that, when fed with similar images, it can classify them as having a brain tumor or not. Though such models do not completely remove the need for a consultation from a domain expert, they do help doctors get a quick second opinion.
- Brain tumor detection using MRI images
- Brain tumor detection using vital information
- Brain tumor detection using patient history
9. Traffic Sign Recognition
Nowadays, one of the most popular applications of Data Science is self-driving cars. Although a self-driving car could be very difficult and expensive to work with, we can implement a specific and important feature needed in a self-driving car, which is traffic sign recognition.
In this, we use the images of different traffic signs and label them, depicting what the signs are indicating. The more images there are, the more accurate the model will be, though it will take longer to train the model. We start by using convolutional neural networks (CNNs) to build the model with images that are labeled with what a specific traffic signal is indicating. Next, our model will learn with the help of these images and labels. Then, when a new image is given as the input, the model will be able to classify it.
- Gesture recognition system
- Sign language translator
- Product quality checking system
Looking to get started with Data Science? Check out our comprehensive Data Science Tutorial for Beginners now!
10. Fake News Detection
A recent study done by MIT claims, ‘Fake news spreads 6 times faster than real news.’ Fake news is becoming a massive source of trouble in all spheres of life. They lead to a lot of problems around the globe, ranging from political polarization, violence, the propagation of misinformation to religious and cultural conflicts. It is also troubling that more and more sources of information, especially social media platforms, are gaining traction. Since these platforms do not have systems in place to distinguish between fake news and real news, the issue becomes sober.
To tackle a problem like this, especially at a smaller scale, we can use a dataset that contains fake news and real news labeled in the form of textual information. Upon this, we can use Natural Language Processing and techniques like TF-IDF Vectorizer (term frequency-inverse document frequency vectorizer). This allows us to enter some text from a news article to get a label that tells us if it is fake news or real news. It is important to notice that these labels may not be 100 percent accurate, but they can give us a good approximation to know what is correct.
- Fake news checker
- Fact checker
- Information verification system
Master Data Science Analytics using Python by signing up for our Python for Data Science Course.
Tips for a Good Data Science Project
Now, let’s discuss some key aspects of a good Data Science Projects:
- Language: You can use any programming language of your choice that you are comfortable with. Just make sure that the language you are using is a popular one so that other people can collaborate and understand your code and can help you with it. But still, some of the most popular languages for data science projects are R and Python. Data Science Projects in Python are especially useful as python is more widely used than R.
- Datasets: You can get datasets from several sources, but make sure that you are using a large enough dataset that does not have a lot of errors and incorrect data in it. In case your dataset has many errors, try removing those errors or use another dataset. To get good datasets, try using Kaggle or UCI Machine Learning Repository.
- Visualizations: Before training your model, try getting a good understanding of the dataset by visualizing it. You can find useful information, including correlated columns, bias, etc. in your dataset through visualizations. If any issue is found in your dataset, such as the dataset being skewed, biased, or having outliers, try rectifying the problem before proceeding.
- Data cleaning: Make sure that the data you are using is clean and usable. The reason is that the data with a lot of errors will lead to a terrible performance of the model.
- Data transformation: In case you use multiple datasets from different sources, it can be difficult to merge them as they can be quite different from each other. For example, different datasets may end up using different formats for dates, different measurement units based on specific geographical locations, etc., so you may have to transform the data to make it standardized to train your model.
- Validation: Try to validate your model’s accuracy using multiple slices of your dataset with the help of techniques like stratified k-folds cross-validation to get a more accurate performance from your model. If you find issues, try digging deeper to rectify them.
In this blog, we have discussed the most relevant real-time Data Science Projects, as well as some tips for beginners to be able to better utilize their skills and tackle some real-world problems using various datasets. Hopefully, this blog was helpful and informative to you.