The need for cloud data has skyrocketed in the last few years and it has become easier for companies to access large volumes of data and store them at cheaper rates as compared to earlier. Before, only large organizations were capable of availing the various services that the cloud has to offer. However, ever since the cloud has become cheaper in terms of entry-level tools and technologies, even small organizations have been able to afford various benefits of the cloud.
The main idea behind this blog is to help you understand what Azure DP-100 certification is, how you can prepare for it, the syllabus of the examination, etc. We aim to cover the topics listed below in this blog:
It’s time to get started.
What is the Microsoft DP-100 exam?
The Microsoft AZ DP-100 exam refers to Designing and Implementing a Data Science Solution on Azure. This certification exam validates your knowledge and skills in Data Science and Machine Learning, along with your ability to implement and run ML workloads on Azure. You need to clear this Azure Data Science certification exam to become a Microsoft Certified Azure Data Scientist Associate. Although it is not mandatory, you can also take up the Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900) certification before opting for this.
Watch this comprehensive tutorial on YouTube to learn more about Azure:
Let us now discuss who Azure Data Scientists are and what exactly they do.
Who is an Azure Data Scientist?
It can be challenging to process a large amount of business data and present it to the other members of the organization. This is where Azure Data Scientists come into the picture. They are responsible for setting up an Azure Machine Learning workspace by applying their knowledge of Machine Learning, Data Science, and Azure. In this workspace, they entail running various experiments, training Machine Learning algorithms and models, optimizing, managing, and deploying these models, etc.
During the Azure DP-100 exam preparation, one of the most vital parts is to have detailed information about the exam syllabus content. So, let’s briefly learn about the same.
Enroll in one of the best Azure training programs at Intellipaat!
Azure Data Science Certification Syllabus
The certification exam tests your skills on the basis of the four significant categories that are mentioned below along with their respective weightage:
- Set up an Azure Machine Learning workspace – 30-35%
- Run experiments and train models – 25-30%
- Optimize and manage models – 20-25%
- Deploy and consume models – 20-25%
Set up an Azure Machine Learning Workspace
Here, you are required to do the following:
Build an Azure Machine Learning Workspace
- Create the workspace
- Configure the settings of the workspace
- Use Azure Machine Learning Studio to manage the workspace
Manage the Data Objects in the Workspace
- Register and manage the data stores
- Build and maintain the datasets
Maintain Experiment Compute Contexts
- Build a compute instance
- Identify the compute specifications for the respective training workload
- Develop various compute targets for training and experiments
Sign up for an online Azure Training in Bangalore!
Run Experiments and Train Models
This requires you to acquire the skills listed below:
Build Models with Azure Machine Learning Designer
- Develop a training pipeline with the help of Azure Machine Learning Designer
- Insert data in the pipeline
- Define the data flow of the pipeline using designer modules
- Make use of the designer’s custom code modules
Use Azure Machine Learning Workspace to Run Training Scripts
- Use Azure Machine Learning SDK to build and run experiments
- Perform experiments to consume data from any data store and dataset
- For the training experiment, select the respective estimator
Use an Experiment Run to Generate Metrics
- Use the experiment run to log metrics
- Extract and view the results of the experiment
- Troubleshoot the errors of the experiment run with the help of logs
Automate the Process of Training Models
- Use the SDK to build a pipeline
- In the pipeline, transfer the data between steps
- Run the pipeline
- Manage the pipeline runs
Optimize and Manage Models
In this, you are required to master the concepts and techniques mentioned below:
Build Optimal Models Using Automated Machine Learning
- Make use of Azure Machine Learning’s Automated ML interface
- Utilize Azure Machine Learning SDKs Automated ML
- Choose the required pre-processing options and scaling functions
- Identify the search algorithms
- Define a primary metric
- Find data for the process of an Automated ML run
- Extract the best-suited model
Tune Hyperparameters Using Hyperdrive
- Choose a sampling technique
- Define the search space and the primary metric
- Layout options for early termination
- Identify the model with the optimal hyperparameter values
Interpret Models with Model Explainers
- Choose a model interpreter
- Create data with feature importance
- Register a model that has been trained
- Manage the model history
- Manage drifting of data
You should check out this Microsoft Azure Certification blog!
Deploy and Consume Models
This section needs professionals to gain proficiency in the areas mentioned below:
Develop Production Compute Targets
- Secure the deployed services
- For deployment, consider various compute options
Deploy Models as Services
- Configure the settings for deployment
- Consume a service that has been deployed
- Troubleshoot the problems of the deployment container
Build a Pipeline for the Process of Batch Inferencing
- Publish a pipeline for batch inferencing
- Run the batch inference pipeline to generate results
Publish Designer Pipelines as Web Services
- Develop a target compute resource
- Ensure configuration of an inference pipeline
- Consume an endpoint that has been deployed
Now that you have gained insight into the syllabus of the Microsoft Data Science certification, let us discuss some of the other details of the examination including its cost, format, number of questions, etc.
Become an expert in Azure by reading our guide at Azure Tutorial for beginners!
About the Azure Data Scientist Associate Exam
Let us briefly discuss the details of the Azure Data Science certification, such as the exam cost, exam structure, the duration of the exam, etc., so that you get a clear idea of the format and structure before taking up the exam.
- Exam Code: The code of the Azure Data Science certification exam is DP-100.
- Cost: Microsoft Data Science certification costs €165. However, the amount can vary with respect to the country you apply from.
- No. of Questions: The exam can have 40-60 questions divided into two sections; the first section contains questions that can be reviewed later while the second section contains questions that cannot be reviewed.
- Type of Questions: There are multiple-choice questions with a single correct answer, multiple-choice questions with multiple correct answers, scenario-based questions, arrange in the correct order type of questions, and fill in the blanks to complete the code.
- Duration: The duration is 210 minutes wherein 30 minutes is to go through the exam guidelines and review and the other 180 minutes is to complete the examination.
- Languages: The exam is available in English, Simplified Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.
- Passing Score: The passing marks of the DP-100 certification exam is 700 out of a total of 1000.
Check out our blog on What is Azure Data Lake to learn more.
In case you fail the DP-100 exam on the first attempt, you need to wait for at least 24 hours to retake the exam. However, you cannot retake it if you pass it on the first attempt. Further, if you fail in the second attempt as well, you will be required to wait for at least 14 days before retaking it and the same process continues until the fifth attempt. You are only allowed 5 attempts in a year. If you fail the exam on the fifth attempt, you need to wait for 12 months after the fifth attempt to retake it.
After reading in detail about the DP-100 examination, it is time to learn how you can prepare for it so that you become capable of cracking it in the first attempt and become a certified Azure Data Scientist Associate.
How to prepare for Exam DP-100: Designing and Implementing a Data Science Solution on Azure?
The steps that you need to follow in order to prepare for the Azure Data Science certification exam are listed below:
- Enroll in a training program for the certification exam
- Gain expertise in Azure Machine Learning Designer, a drag-and-drop feature-oriented tool used to develop, test, and deploy the solutions of predictive analysis
- Master Azure Machine Learning SDK
- Acquire basic knowledge of Data Science techniques and predictive analysis models
- Use the free resources from Microsoft
- Go through various tutorials and blogs available on the internet regarding this certification
- Take various practice tests made available by Microsoft, using the US$200 credit provided to you when you first sign up for a free Microsoft account
- Take lab sessions and gain practical experience of the various tools
Enroll in one of the best Data Science Courses at Intellipaat and learn all the significant concepts that will help you prepare for the Azure Data Science certification.
Mentioned below is the process that you can follow to register for the AZ DP-100 certification exam:
- Go to the official Microsoft website and sign up
- Find the certification name on the list
- Click on ‘Schedule Exam’
- You will be able to select the examination during the registration process if the certificate is available in your country
- Choose the language of the proctor, greeter, and proctoring software
Further, you will read about the various jobs available for Azure Data Scientist Associates and the range of salary earned.
Azure Data Scientist Associate Jobs
As per LinkedIn, there are over 9,000 vacancies for Microsoft Data Scientists in the United States while in India, there are over 1,000 jobs open for them.
There are numerous jobs available for these professionals. Some of the most popular ones are listed below:
- Azure Data Scientist Associate
- Azure Data Scientist
- Data Engineer
- Azure Software Engineer
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Data & Applied Scientist
Microsoft Certified Azure Data Scientist Associate Salary
The average income of a certified Data Scientist with skills in Microsoft Azure is approximately US$95,102 per annum in the US as per PayScale. This amount can rise up to US$110,000 per year with better skills, experience, etc.
In India, these Microsoft Certified Azure Data Science Associate earn an average salary of ₹1,180,000 per year and it can increase to ₹2,000,000.
Go through our Azure Interview Questions blog to prepare for your job interviews.
Step Towards Building Your Career
In this comprehensive blog, you have learned in detail about the DP-100 certification exam, how you can register for it, the steps you can follow to prepare, the exam syllabus and other details, and more. You must have realized by now that this certification is for professionals with an understanding of Data Science techniques and a keen interest in becoming an Azure Certified Data Scientist Associate. So, if you wish to become one, take the first step and start your preparation!
If you have any doubts regarding the certification exam, you can post them on our Azure Community and our experts will get back to you!