Application stack development has taken a whole new level since the last decade. Each web platform that we see on the Internet has two sides to it: One, the frontend, which is a visualization of data that is seen by the user, comprising web design and its interface. The backend functions in the background to manage the data that is seen by the user on the frontend. The backend comprises server-side programming and the database. The technology stack, on the other hand, indulges in a set of tools and frameworks to develop well-performing software.
In this blog, let’s discuss in brief about two widely used technology stacks and their differences:
The video below will help understand the basic concept of MEAN Stack –
MEAN is short for MongoDB, Express.js, Angular.js, and Node.js. Let us have a look at each one of them:
|Stores high-volumes of data using documents and collection||Builds single-page, multi-page, and hybrid-page applications||Aids the MVC design that can structure the web and business applications with ease||Develops networking and server-side applications|
|Saves the data in the binary JSON format and Extends cloud functionalities||A node-based server layer that provides logic for the stack ||Uses the HTML syntax while expressing various syntaxes||Forms web frameworks for I/O-based web applications|
Advantages of Hiring a MEAN Stack Developer
A MEAN Stack Developer is an appropriate choice for speeding up the web or mobile app development process. Following are the advantages of hiring a MEAN Stack Developer:
- They include MVC architecture and lessen the hefty work, thereby smoothing out the process of development.
- They work with prime technologies accordingly, i.e., they use MongoDB and Express.js to work on the backend whereas Angular.js and Node.js to work on the frontend.
- They utilize the framework in such a way that it enables popular plugins and lessens the time taken for system administration.
If you want to learn about AngularJS Includes, refer to our Angular blog!
Skill Sets a MEAN Stack Developer Must Possess
- Be aware of cloud technologies, architecture, web designing, and integration
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Understanding of SDLC and the Agile environment
- Have access to multiple frameworks for web creation and development
Why choose MEAN Stack?
MEAN Stack is highly flexible toward code transfer within other frameworks. Using this, one can build a robust framework that supports daily needs. MEAN Stack is simple and easy to learn with good community support. It is preferred for small-to-medium-scale projects.
It extends over a full development cycle, from the client-side to the server-side. However, MEAN stack is ideal for powerful frontend development, preferably for enterprises that require single page-applications but with a dynamic user interface.
You can take a look at Intellipaat’s Full-Stack Web Developer Course which is a master program designed by Intellipaat to help create full stack web applications using the core technologies of MEAN.
MERN Stack is a common alternative of MEAN Stack, where traditional Angular.js is replaced by React.js, which makes the development process much smoother and easier.
‘MERN’ is an acronym made up of a set of technologies, namely, MongoDB, Express.js, React.js, and Node.js. Let’s dig into what each of these components performs:
- Express.js: This is layered on top of NodeJS. It supports the backend framework and makes it simpler to write the backend code. It helps in designing better APIs and web applications. This modular framework also supports middlewares and promotes code reusability to ease the process of writing the code. It is specially designed to conduct simplified applications.
Advantages of Hiring a MERN Stack Developer
MERN Stack Developers can efficiently build web and mobile applications using standard processes and abilities. Below mentioned are a few add-ons on why to hire a MERN Stack Developer.
- MERN Stack Developers implement design thinking with enhanced expertise on various technologies.
- They maintain full-fledged development in the shortest time.
- They focus on improvised solutions by maintaining compelling user experience and delivering highly scalable cloud integration.
Skill Sets a MERN Stack Developer Must Possess
- Understanding of profiling applications and optimizing them
- Knowledge of various databases and programming templates
Why choose MERN Stack?
When compared to Angular.js of the MEAN Stack, MERN Stack’s React.js is best for UI layer abstraction. It executes code development quickly due to its collection of dynamic user interfaces readily available within the library. MERN acts the best in controlling and updating large dynamic JSON data that can smoothly navigate between the frontend and the backend.
MEAN Stack vs MERN Stack
Now that you are familiar with both MEAN Stack and MERN Stack, let’s come to the topic of discussion: MEAN vs MERN. The presentation of their architecture will let you delve into the major differences between MEAN and MERN.
Difference Between MEAN Stack and MERN Stack
Similar to MEAN Stack vs Full Stack, MEAN and MERN also differ in its component alignment in their architecture: In MEAN, it is Angular.js, and in MERN, it is React.js. Though both Angular.js and React.js are used in organizing UI layers and carry ample documentation and sample codes, they cause a slight difference between MEAN and MERN:
|MEAN Stack||MERN Stack|
|MEAN uses the AngularJS framework||MERN uses the ReactJS library |
|MEAN is backed by Google Inc.||MERN is backed by Facebook Inc.|
|It exhibits a steeper learning curve ||It is much simpler to learn|
|Angular.js has undergone major alterations from version 1 to version 2||React.js performs better than Angular.js in maintaining UI rendering |
|MEAN maintains abstraction in coding and also manages files||MERN develops code at a quicker rate|
|MEAN Stack is preferable at the enterprise-level architecture||MERN is preferred for the quick development of smaller applications |
|It possesses ready-to-use features to support multiple third-party libraries ||React.js requires additional libraries to support such calls|
|It offers better developer productivity ||React offers lower developer productivity |
|Data flow is bidirectional, i.e., when the UI is changed, the model state is automatically changed ||Data flow is unidirectional, i.e., the UI can be changed only after changing the model state |
|MEAN is suitable for handling small projects ||MERN is more suitable for managing larger projects |
Things to Consider Before Choosing the Right Stack for Your Business
- Project requirements: Analyze project requirements to check the feasibility of the stack
- New practices: Introduce Agile development practices to experience a customer-driven market
- Flexibility and feasibility: Note the differences between database architecture and software solutions to maintain flexibility
- Cost of development: Identify various cost-effective methods for the entire development process
On a Final Note in MERN Stack vs MEAN stack
Given the wide range of available technology stacks, MEAN Stack and MERN Stack present you with similar functionalities in their working. In the present application development market, MEAN and MERN have become equally important in conducting their roles. They are rapidly growing in popularity as an integral part of Full Stack Development. Both MEAN and MERN are reliable frameworks. However, they differ in their structure placement. In this MEAN stack vs MERN stack comparison, it is your project requirement that will let you reach a suitable choice.
If you want to have a discussion with the peers in the industry, post your query and get feedback from the Intellipaat Web Development community on MERN Stack compared to MEAN Stack.