Business Careers are one of the most common and easy terms to describe a person into the business. If a Business System Analyst has intrigued you and you want to get to know about it, you have come to the right place. This blog aims to clearly define what exactly business systems analysts are and how you can prepare yourself to make a career change.
Employment opportunities related to Business Systems Analysts are in great demand in all kinds of industries like the technical and banking sector. This career field is one of the fastest growing career options globally. If you are planning on becoming a Business Systems Analyst then this is the right time for you.
Who is a Business Systems Analyst ?
Business systems analysts use both business and technology tools to examine a company’s operating system, procedures and design improvements. They aim to help a company operate more efficiently and effectively through the design and implementation of information technology systems. They consult with leaders and managers to understand the usage of emerging technologies that can benefit the company. They write instruction manuals and analyze costs and benefits related to the technology. They have specialisation in the system the company uses. Now let’s understand the difference between Business Analyst and a System Analyst.
Watch our introductory video on Business Analyst
Difference between Business Analyst and System Analyst
There can be confusion between these two terms. The main difference between a business analyst and a business systems analyst is that the business analyst job is business specific and they focus on the business of an organization. While, the system analyst focuses on system specific requirements and its business outcomes. They act as liaison between the business and end users.
What does a business systems analyst do?
Lets understand the business systems analyst roles and responsibilities. We will see what exactly are the business systems analyst duties.
- The BSA is required to Evaluate company systems and current processes and Compile objectives for improving company procedures.
- They evaluate company performance, information and analyze company software and hardware usage.
- They also track and report on progress of company systems. They are involved in the Development procedures to improve existing systems.
- One of the most important tasks is to research and compare hardware and software needs and make recommendations for the company.
- They prepare a report on best practices, best practices of planning and implementing supportive business solutions, also recommending new system developments.
- Today Every organization’s success depends on the proper utilization of the data and BSA analyzes these relevant data.
- They translate data for presentation to team members and anyone who is involved through the process.
- They enhance company business performance by presenting key information to IT teams for improvements and creating a guide to system updates.
- Lastly, they address issues of the current systems and improve performance.
Getting ready for a job interview? This log on business analyst interview questions might help you!
Skills required to become a Business Systems Analyst
To become a business systems Analyst one must have a certain set of business systems analyst skills, acquired during a bachelor’s degree in information technology or business. As, the role requires working very closely with technology and business.
- BSA will be working closely with the system and its requirements. For that they will be interacting with the organisation system so, must have proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and programs including C.
- Companies expect Business systems analyst aspirants to have a Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, or IT related field or master in business or related field preferred.
Among all the roles taken by a Business System Analyst, below are two descriptions so that you can learn to know more about a system analyst.
Business Systems Analyst Salary
- According to PayScale website, The average salary for a Business Systems Analyst is $70,057. The national average salary of a Business Systems Analyst is ₹8,86,184 in India. The average salary for a Business Systems Analyst in Canada is C$68,919 as mentioned in PayScale.
- According to salary.com, The average Business Systems Analyst II salary in the United States is $76,766 as of May 27, 2021, but the range typically falls between $68,825 and $85,708.
- Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.
You can enrol in our Business analyst course to learn more about business analysis and get certified.
Lead business systems analyst job description
In addition to the role of business analysts , Lead business analysts manage teams and delegate responsibility as needed. They are involved in developing methodologies, designing frameworks, and studying data. They review weekly reports prepared by other analysts and make recommendations according to the reports and trends.
Lead analysts hire junior analysts on their team and train them to meet employer standards. As a lead analyst, they make direct recommendations, and monitor their implementation.
To become a lead analyst, you need a bachelor’s degree in statistics, business or administration. Most of the lead analysts have many years of experience to be qualified for the role. The average salary is $81,499 a year!
“Between 2018 and 2028, the career is expected to grow 9% and produce 56,000 job opportunities across the U.S”. Now let’s discuss another role as system analyst.
Principal business systems analyst job description
Principal System Analyst manages the quality assurance process for team members’ audit work papers, including feedback for improvements. They Manage a regional information center responsible for training and empowering users to develop user generated mainframe and PC base business applications.
They Develop and execute SQL queries against the registration database to conduct root cause analysis. Run SQL queries on DB2 databases to analyze current data for requirements as well as providing test data.
Prepare estimates, establish project plans, schedules and milestones, review QA test plans and test cases. The national average salary for a Principal Business Systems Analyst is $136,361 in the United States.
Hope this blog on business systems analysts helped you learn more about system analysts, their roles and responsibilities, salary, skills and much more.
Head to our Business Analyst community if you have any doubt in this domain.