As per LinkedIn, the United States alone has over 13,000 job opportunities for experts in the field of Cyber Security while there are more than 1,000 Cyber Security expert jobs in India.
Cyber Security is a vast domain and among the most sought-after career fields today. In this blog, we will learn how you can get into this field and become one of the best Cyber Security experts in the world.
In this blog, you will come across the following topics and learn briefly about them:
Let’s dive right in and learn about these professionals.
Who is a Cyber Security Expert?
Cyber Security experts or specialists are a significant part of organizations who are responsible for securing the network and information systems of the organization. They do so by detecting, managing, analyzing, presenting, and responding to cyberattacks, security threats, and other malicious acts.
Also, check out this YouTube tutorial on how you can become a successful expert in this domain
What do they do?
Cyber Security specialists work with the IT teams in the organization in order to protect the data and integrity of the business. They ensure that the design and implementation of the systems offer highly secured network solutions that offer protection against hackers, cyber attacks, and other possible threats.
Now, let’s discuss the various roles and responsibilities of these professionals that come as part of their job description.
Cyber Security Expert Job Description
As a Cyber Security specialist, you will have numerous roles and responsibilities in the organization. Let’s check out a few of them that are necessary as per the job requirements:
- Evaluate the security requirements of the company and establish standards and best practices
- Design, integrate, manage, and upgrade the numerous security systems to protect the data, systems, and networks of the organization
- Respond to the various security breaches in the systems of networks effectively
- Perform penetration testing
- Scan and test systems and networks in search of vulnerabilities
Sign up for the best Cyber Security Course today and start your journey in the field of Cyber Security now!
You have learned about the job description that comes along with the role of Cyber Security specialist. Further, you will read about the numerous skills and qualifications that you need to have to build a successful career as a Cyber Security specialist.
Cyber Security Expert Requirements
By now, you must be wondering ‘What does it take to be a Cyber Security Expert?’ In order to become an expert in Cyber Security, there is a certain set of criteria that you need to meet in terms of skills, educational qualifications, and experience. Let’s discuss them in detail.
Cyber Security Expert Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, IT systems engineering, or other similar fields.
- 2+ years of working experience in Cyber Security roles like SOC, forensic, or incident discovery and response.
Cyber Security Expert Skills
- Proficiency in various programming languages and tools, like Java, Python, Go, Node, C++, PowerShell, and Ruby.
- Command over the numerous operations and functionalities of firewalls and other endpoint security.
- Up-to-date knowledge and skills in the latest advancements, tricks, and trends used by attackers.
- Skill to focus on the security threats and fix system vulnerabilities to protect them from the same.
Learn more about the basics of Cyber Security from our Cyber Security Tutorial.
You will briefly read about the steps you need to take to become a professional expert in Cyber Security.
Steps to Become a Cyber Security Expert
You need to take the following steps to become a successful Cyber Security professional at a leading organization with a high income:
Step 1: Get a bachelor’s degree in the required domain
Step 2: Gain a master’s degree in Cyber Security related field
Step 3: Enroll in a certification course
Step 4: Work on various industry-related Cyber Security projects
Step 5: Clear the exam and gain the respective Cyber Security certification
Step 6: Gain 2-3 years of professional experience in Cyber Security
Now, let’s discuss the range of salaries earned by Cyber Security professionals.
Salary of Cyber Security Experts
Cyber Security professionals are among the highest-earning IT professionals in the world. Let’s discuss the salaries earned by them based on their job roles, as per the salaries posted on PayScale and Glassdoor.
Cyber Security Expert Salary in the US
- Cyber Security Analyst: US$76,703 per annum
- Cyber Security Associate: US$79,978 per annum
- SOC Analyst: US$63,053 per annum
- Cyber Security Engineer: US$96,947 per annum
- Information Security Analyst: US$73,037 per annum
- Penetration Tester: $86,034 per annum
- Cyber Security Consultant: US$$86,699 per annum
Cyber Security Expert Salary in India
- Cyber Security Analyst: ₹529,199 per annum
- Cyber Security Associate: ₹490,000 per annum
- SOC Analyst: ₹464,000 per annum
- Cyber Security Engineer: ₹608,750 per annum
- Information Security Analyst: ₹568,299 per annum
- Penetration Tester: ₹601,799 per annum
- Cyber Security Consultant: ₹711,185 per annum
Check out this blog on Cyber Security Interview Questions to excel your job interviews.
Further in this blog, you will come across the various certifications that aim to validate your knowledge and skills in this field and help you land a lucrative job in reputed organizations.
Cyber Security Certifications
Listed below are the numerous certifications that you can opt for that will validate your skills, act as a bonus in your resume, and give you an edge over your competitors while applying for jobs:
Begin Your Journey in Cyber Security
In this ‘How to become a Cyber Security Expert?’ blog, you have learned in detail about who these professionals are, what they do, their job description, the qualifications and skills required to get into this profession, and so on. You also learned about the salary amount these professionals earn. Moreover, we also discussed the various certifications that you can take up that will help you boost your career in this field. So, get started by signing up for one of the best training programs in Cyber Security!
If you have any queries, reach out to us at our Cyber Security Community!