First let us compare Google Cloud with AWS Cloud:
|Data Centers||Relatively less||Large number|
|Market Position||In top three||Market leader|
|Entry in cloud||Late entrant||Very early entrant|
The advantages of using cloud computing are many. Here we will discuss some of the most important advantages of cloud. You will be able to store and have a backup of the data anytime, it has powerful server capabilities, improves the productivity, cost-effectiveness and time saving, ability to get up and started in the shortest duration of time.
The platforms that are used for large scale cloud computing are Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud Platform and more.
The various deployment models in cloud computing are private, public and hybrid cloud.
Utility computing is the service wherein you get pay-as-you-go and on-demand services in which the provider offers to manage and operate the computing services and you can choose which services to access which are all deployed in the cloud.
To ensure that the data which is being transported is secure you should check the encryption key implemented and there is no leak in the data.
Some of the important security aspects that the cloud offers are as below:
- Access control: it offers the control to the users who can control the access to other users who are entering the cloud ecosystem
- Identity management: this provides the authorization for the application services
- Authorization and authentication: this security feature lets only the authenticated and authorized users to access the applications and data.
The different layers that constitute the cloud architecture are:
- Physical layer: This constitutes the physical servers, network and other aspects
- Infrastructure layer: This layer includes storage, virtualized layers and so on
- Platform layer: This includes the operating system, apps and other aspects
- Application layer: This is the layer that the end-user directly interacts with.
The cloud can consist of multiple components that can be complex. The system integrator in the cloud is the strategy that provides the process of designing the cloud, integrating the various components for creating a hybrid or a private cloud network among other things.
“EUCALYPTUS” stands for “Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for Linking Your Programs To Useful Systems”, which is an open source cloud computing infrastructure that is used for deploying cloud clusters. Using the “EUCALYPTUS”, you can build public, private and hybrid cloud platforms. You can even have your own data center in the cloud and this can be used to harness its functionality in your organization.
Virtualization lets you create virtual versions of the storage, operating systems, applications, networks and so on. If you use the right virtualization then it helps you to augment your existing infrastructure. You are able to run multiple apps and operating systems on existing servers.
Before moving any business to the cloud, you need to consider these aspects. You should not lose any of your data, you should be able to continue with your business within the shortest interval. There should be fast uptime, and data integration with the cloud.
Some of the important open source cloud computing platforms are as below
- Cloud Foundry
- Apache Mesos
Having a traditional datacenter and a cloud datacenter has a lot of differentiating factors. Here we list some of the most important differences between a traditional and a cloud datacenter.
- The initial cost is high for traditional datacenter whereas for a cloud it is less
- You can easily scale up and scale down the cloud data centers but that is not possible with the traditional datacenter
- Maintenance is a huge cost for traditional datacenters unlike the cloud datacenter
- Cloud offers excellent uptime which cannot be said about traditional datacenters.
The two most important types of software as a service are as below:
- Simple multi-tenancy: In this type of SaaS you have your own independent resources that you don’t share with anybody
- Fine grain multi-tenancy: In this type of SaaS deployment the resources are shared between multiple tenants even though the functionalities remain the same.
Here we list the important benefits of API with respect to the cloud domain:
- You don’t have to write complete program
- You can easily communicate between one application and another
- You can easily create applications and link it to the cloud services
- It seamlessly connects two applications in a secure manner.
Scalability in cloud is the way in which you increase the ability to service additional workloads either by adding new servers or accommodating it within the existing servers. Elasticity is the process by which you can either add or remove virtual machines depending on the requirement in order to avoid wastage of resources and reduce costs.
The Platform as a Service is important in cloud computing. You get an application layer and it lets you have complete virtualization of the infrastructure layer and this way you can work on it like a single layer.