Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is known to have the most difficult interview questions. Professionals in this industry are highly in demand, which is why job interviews are extremely difficult. With the help of this blog on GCP Interview Questions, you can get an idea of the questions that will be asked to you by recruiters, and you can prepare well. So, go through the following Google Cloud Platform interview questions before going for your interview:
Q1. What is cloud computing?
Q2. What is cloud?
Q3. What are the main features of cloud services?
Q4. What is Google Cloud Platform?
Q5. What are the advantages of using cloud computing?
Q6. Mention platforms that are used for large-scale cloud computing?
Q7. What are the different models for deployment in cloud computing?
Q8. How can a user gain from utility computing?
Q9. When you are transferring data, how do you ensure it is secure?
Q10. Describe the security aspects that the cloud offers?
These Google Cloud Platform interview questions can be classified into the following categories as mentioned below:
1. Basic GCP Interview Questions for Freshers
2. Intermediate GCP Interview Questions
3. Advanced GCP Interview Questions for Experienced
Check out this Video on Most Asked Google Cloud Interview Questions:
Basic GCP Interview Questions for Freshers
1. What is cloud computing?
Let’s start with the most basic question of all. Cloud computing is the computational power, which is on the cloud at all times. It uses the Internet as its chosen method of delivery. The service of this technology is global and not limited by geographical restrictions.
2. What is cloud?
You can simply state that cloud is a combination of network, storage, interface, and hardware that offers cloud computing as a service. A cloud service provider takes care of the cloud and IT assets of the company that is offering the cloud services.
3. What are the main features of cloud services?
Cloud service and cloud computing as a whole has a multitude of features, especially the ease of access and management of commercial software from anywhere around the globe.
- Easy centralization of all management related to the software to a central web service
- The design and development of web applications capable of handling multiple clients from anywhere around the world simultaneously
- The elimination of software upgrade downloads by centralizing and automating the updating process
4. What is Google Cloud Platform?
Google Cloud Platform or GCP is a cloud platform that has been developed by Google. It offers access to its cloud systems and computing services. It includes a number of services under the compute, database, storage, networking, and migration domains of cloud computing.
5. What are the advantages of using cloud computing?
First let us compare Google Cloud with AWS Cloud:
||In top three
|Entry in cloud
||Very early entrant
The advantages of using cloud computing are many. Here we will discuss some of the most important advantages of the cloud. You will be able to store and have a backup of the data anytime, it has powerful server capabilities, improves productivity, cost-effectiveness and time saving, ability to get up and started in the shortest duration of time.
Get 50% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
6. Mention platforms that are used for large-scale cloud computing?
The platforms that are used for large-scale cloud computing are Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and more.
7. What are the different models for deployment in cloud computing?
The various deployment models in cloud computing are private, public, and hybrid cloud.
8. How can a user gain from utility computing?
Utility computing is the service wherein you get pay-as-you-go and on-demand services in which the provider offers to manage and operate the computing services and you can choose which services to access which are all deployed in the cloud.
9. When you are transferring data, how do you ensure it is secure?
To ensure that the data which is being transported is secure you should check the encryption key implemented and there is no leak in the data.
10. Describe the security aspects that the cloud offers?
Some of the important security aspects that the cloud offers are as below:
- Access control: it offers control to the users who can control the access to other users who are entering the cloud ecosystem
- Identity management: this provides the authorization for the application services
- Authorization and authentication: this security feature lets only the authenticated and authorized users access the applications and data.
11. What are system integrators in Cloud Computing?
The cloud can consist of multiple components that can be complex. The system integrator in the cloud is the strategy that provides the process of designing the cloud, integrating the various components for creating a hybrid or a private cloud network among other things.
12. What are the various components of the Google Cloud Platform?
The various GCP components are:
- Google Compute Engine
- Google Cloud Container Engine
- Google Cloud Storage
- Google Cloud App Engine
- Google Cloud Dataflow
- Google Cloud Machine Learning Engine
- Google BigQuery Service
- Google Cloud Job Discovery
- Google Cloud Endpoints
- Google Cloud Test Lab
13. What are the main advantages of using Google Cloud Platform?
Google Cloud Platform is gaining popularity among cloud professionals as well as users for the advantages they offer over others :
- GCP offers competitive pricing
- Google Cloud servers allow access to information from anywhere
- GCP has an overall better performance and service compared to other hosting cloud services
- Google Cloud provides speedy and efficient server and security updates
- The security level of Google Cloud Platform is exemplary; the cloud platform and networks are secured and encrypted with various security measures.
Let’s move onto the intermediate section of Google Cloud Architect interview questions and answers.
Intermediate GCP Interview Questions
14. How does cloud computing provide on-demand functionality?
As a technology, cloud computing was built on the foundation of providing functionality to all its users on-demand at any time and from anywhere. With the latest advancements and easy availability of applications like Google Cloud, it has achieved that goal.
A user on Google Cloud can view the files on the cloud on any device at any time from wherever they are as long as they are connected to the internet.
15. What are the various layers in the cloud architecture?
The different layers that constitute the cloud architecture are:
- Physical layer: This constitutes the physical servers, network, and other aspects
- Infrastructure layer: This layer includes storage, virtualized layers, and so on
- Platform layer: This includes the operating system, apps, and other aspects
- Application layer: This is the layer that the end-user directly interacts with.
16. What are the libraries and tools for cloud storage on GCP?
JSON API and XML API are at the core level for the cloud storage on Google Cloud Platform. But along with these, Google also provides the following to interact with the cloud storage.
- Google Cloud Platform Console to perform basic operations on objects and buckets
- Cloud Storage Client Libraries that provides programming support for various languages
- Gsutil Command-line Tool provides a CLI for the cloud storage
There are also a number of third-party libraries and tools like Boto Library.
17. What is “EUCALYPTUS” in the context of cloud computing?
“EUCALYPTUS” stands for “Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for Linking Your Programs To Useful Systems”, which is an open-source cloud computing infrastructure that is used for deploying cloud clusters. Using the “EUCALYPTUS”, you can build public, private, and hybrid cloud platforms. You can even have your own data center in the cloud and this can be used to harness its functionality in your organization.
18. What is Google Compute Engine?
Google Cloud Engine is the basic component of the Google Cloud Platform. It is an IaaS that provides flexible Windows and Linux-based virtual machines that are self-managed and hosted on the Google infrastructure. The virtual machines can run on local, durable storage options, and KVM.
For the purpose of control and configuration, Google Cloud Engine also includes REST-based API. It integrates with other GCP technologies (Google Cloud Storage, Google App Engine, Google BigQuery, etc.) that help extend its computational ability thus creating more complex and sophisticated applications.
19. What are the different methods for the authentication of Google Compute Engine API?
There are different methods for the authentication of Google Compute Engine API. They are:
- Through client library
- Using OAuth 2.0
- Directly using an access token
20. Why do you need the virtualization platform to implement the cloud?
Virtualization lets you create virtual versions of the storage, operating systems, applications, networks, and so on. If you use the right virtualization then it helps you to augment your existing infrastructure. You are able to run multiple apps and operating systems on existing servers.
21. What are some of the popular open-source cloud computing platforms?
Some of the important open-source cloud computing platforms are as below
- Cloud Foundry
- Apache Mesos
Check out this video on Google Cloud Platform Tutorial
22. Explain what are the different modes of software as a service (SaaS)?
The two most important types of software as a service are as below:
- Single multi-tenancy: In this type of SaaS you have your own independent resources that you don’t share with anybody
- Fine grain multi-tenancy: In this type of SaaS deployment the resources are shared between multiple tenants even though the functionalities remain the same.
23. What is the benefit of API in the cloud domain?
Here we list the important benefits of API with respect to the cloud domain:
- You don’t have to write the complete program
- You can easily communicate between one application and another
- You can easily create applications and link them to the cloud services
- It seamlessly connects two applications in a secure manner.
Let’s move to the advanced section of Google Cloud Architect interview questions and answers.
Advanced GCP Interview Questions for Experienced
24. Mention what is the difference between elasticity and scalability in cloud computing?
Scalability in the cloud is the way in which you increase the ability to service additional workloads either by adding new servers or accommodating them within the existing servers. Elasticity is the process by which you can either add or remove virtual machines depending on the requirement in order to avoid wastage of resources and reduce costs.
25. What are the service accounts? How will you create one?
This is one of the most common Google Cloud interview questions. Service accounts are the special accounts related to a project. They are used for the authorization of Google Compute Engine in order to be able to perform on behalf of the user thus receiving access to non-sensitive data.
There are different service accounts offered by Google but mainly, users prefer to use Google Cloud Platform Console and Google Compute Engine service accounts.
The user doesn’t need to create a service account manually. It is automatically created by the Compute Engine whenever a new instance is created. Google Compute Engine also specifies the scope of the service account for that particular instance when it is created.
26. What are projects in the context of Google Cloud?
Projects are the containers that organize all the Google Compute resources. They comprise the world of compartments and are not meant for resource sharing. Projects may have different users and owners.
27. Suppose you have deleted your instance by mistake. Will you be able to retrieve it back? If yes, how?
While It is a very simple question, it is based on a deep understanding of the Google cloud platform. The answer is no. It is not possible to retrieve the instances that have been deleted once. However, if it has been stopped, it can be retrieved by simply starting it again.
28. What is Google BigQuery? What are the benefits of BigQuery for data warehouse practitioners?
Google BigQuery is used as a data warehouse and stores all the analytical data in an organization. It organizes the data table into datasets.
Some of the benefits of BigQuery for the data warehouse practitioners are:
- BigQuery allocates query and storage resources depending on the requirement and usage. Therefore, it doesn’t require the provisioning of resources before usage.
- It can store data in different formats for efficient storage management. For example, Google’s distributed file system, proprietary format, proprietary columnar format, query access pattern, etc.
- It is fully maintained and managed without any downtime or hindrance.
- It provides backup and disaster recovery at a broader level. Users can easily undo changes and revert to a previous state without making a request for the backup recovery.
29. What do you know about Google Cloud SDK?
Google Cloud SDK (Software Development Kit) is a set of tools that are used in the management of applications and resources that are hosted on the Google Cloud Platform. It is comprised of the gcloud, gsutil, and bqcommand line tools.
Google Cloud SDK runs only on specific platforms like Windows, Linux, and macOS and requires Python 2.7.x. Other specific tools in the kit may have additional requirements as well.
30. What are the Google Cloud APIs? How can you access them?
Google Cloud APIs are programmatic interfaces that allow users to add the power of everything (from storage access to the image analysis based on machine learning) to Google Cloud-based applications.
Accessing Google Cloud APIs
Cloud APIs can be easily accessed with the client libraries from the server applications. A number of programming languages can be used to access Google Cloud APIs. One can use mobile applications via Firebase SDKs or through third-party clients. Google Cloud Platform Console Web UI or Google SDK command-line tools can also be used to access the Google Cloud APIs.
Learn about the certification in Google Cloud in a structured way in our blog on the GCP Certification path.