You will learn the following topic in this blog –
Check our youtube tutorial to know more about Business Analysts:
Who is a Business Analyst?
Business analysts are responsible for understanding business requirements, they lay plans for the company and develop actionable insights. Business analysts look into client and business requirements and communicate with clients to understand their business perspectives. Business analysts are the people who narrow the gap between Information Technology and the business using data analytics to assess processes and make data-driven recommendations to executives and stakeholders. Further, we will learn about how to become a business analyst.
Business Analyst in the IT industry
IT business analysts are knowledgeable in both business and information technology. Liaising between IT and the executive branch, enhancing the quality of IT services, and understanding business needs are among their major roles.
There is no clear-cut difference between just a BA and an IT BA. It’s just that IT BA will mostly have a technical background, to begin with, and has great interpersonal skills.
IT Business Analyst job description
In this section, we will look into the job description of an IT business analyst.
IT Business Analyst Job Description overview
This job role requires expertise in both Information Technology and business administration. They are required and are responsible for enhancing the quality of IT products and services, analyzing data to inform business decisions, and finding technological solutions to business needs, among other duties. They should have phenomenal interpersonal skills as they need to act as a communication link between the IT and Executive branches.
IT Business Analysts Work on More than One System
Historically, companies built and maintained single, monolithic systems or small collections of large systems to run their businesses. Organizations are investing in an increasing quantity of systems.
IT Business Analysts’ jobs are focused on several systems and are integrating those systems to deliver maximum efficiency and business value. It is important to consider information flow and make decisions about what functionality belongs inside what system. An IT Business Analyst job description is still focused more on the technology side and less on the business side.
Do you aspire to become a business analyst? Sign up for this Business Analyst Training in Bangalore to begin your journey.
IT Business Analysts Evaluate the Business Process
IT Business Analyst job description looks into the business process. With the introduction of new tools and software, meeting business requirements is becoming easier. As an IT Business Analyst, you are required to play a role in clarifying, updating, and improving the business processes which are caused by technology changes in the projects.
IT Business Analysts Support Multiple Stakeholder Groups
The IT Business Analyst gets more involved in the elicitation process and is required to navigate the competing needs of multiple stakeholder groups, define business processes that are accepted by all groups, and map out the requirements for one or more systems to support these needs and the process. This role requires stronger communication skills
Check out our blog to learn about the differences between Data Analysts and Business Analysts!
Business Analyst roles and responsibilities in IT company
Below are the roles and responsibilities of an IT Business Analyst:
- They need to dig around and roughly estimate the volume of future efforts. This is the very first stage of communication with the (prospect) customer.
- They act as liaisons between the IT department and the executive branch.
- They act as a communicator between business branches.
- They understand strategic business needs and plans for growth.
- They determine the conditions and check whether a feature of the project satisfies both a stakeholder and the end-user.
- They enhance the quality of IT products and services.
- They analyze the design of technical systems and business models.
- They utilize IT data for business insights.
- They source and implement new business technology.
- They draft nonfunctional requirements which include the system’s quality attributes, such as usability, security, reliability, performance, availability, and scalability.
- They compare the overall scope with the promised business value.
- They are required to clarify a business idea and understand which direction to choose for the future product.
- They plan development activities and shape the development direction.
- They validate requirements and assure compliance of the development outcomes with a customer’s business goals.
- They also standardize the software development process and assure that the single workflow with promised requirements is applied.
Want to apply for a Master’s degree in Business Analytics? Enroll in Master’s in Business Analytics in Australia.
IT business analyst resume
An IT business analyst’s resume must include the following points:
- Degree in computer engineering, business administration, or related field
- 5+ years in an IT management position
- 10+ years in a technology-driven role
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Analytical mindset
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Analytical thinker, Decision-maker, Problem-solver, Documentation, and visualization master
Kickstart your career by enrolling in a Business Analyst course in South Africa.
IT business analyst career path
In order to opt business analyst career path, there are a few steps to follow.
- Get Bachelor’s Degree: A degree in computer engineering, business administration, or related field.
- Learn the skills that are required for the role and are mentioned in the resume section.
- Practice soft skills. An IT BA professional usually has to give presentations, facilitate meetings, quickly estimate the scope of work, and elicit information from clients.
- Earn a certification:- A certification is the next step for professionals seeking an IT BA role.
Want to get a job and become a certified Business Analyst? Check our online Business Analyst Certification Course curated by Industry experts!
IT business analyst jobs
The BLS report predicts 11% growth in the profession between 2019 and 2029, which translates into almost 94,000 new business analyst positions.
Healthcare and Information Technology are two of the industries where business analyst positions are expected to grow the fastest. The United States metro areas with the largest number of business analyst jobs are Washington D.C., New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Dallas.
Thinking of getting a master’s degree in Business Analytics? Enroll in the Masters in Business Analytics in USA!
IT business analyst salary
According to Payscale, the Business Analyst’s salary in India ranges from ₹ 2.7 Lakhs to ₹ 15.9 Lakhs with an average annual salary of ₹ 7.0 Lakhs.
- In Accenture Business Analyst Average salary in India is ₹ 6.9 Lakhs for employees with less than 1 year of experience to 20 years. Business Analyst salary at Accenture ranges between ₹ 2.5 Lakhs to ₹ 14 Lakhs.
- Wipro Business Analyst salary Average in India is ₹ 8 Lakhs for employees with less than 1 year of experience to 16 years. Business Analyst salary at Wipro ranges between ₹ 4 Lakhs to ₹ 14.3 Lakhs.
- The average Deloitte Business Analyst salary in India is ₹ 7.4 Lakhs for employees with less than 1 year of experience to 18 years. Business Analyst salary at Deloitte ranges between ₹ 5 Lakhs to ₹ 11.6 Lakhs.
According to “ziprecruiter.com”, as of July 6, 2021, the average annual pay for an IT Business Analyst in the United States is $90,870 a year.
Annual salaries as high as $140,500 and as low as $36,000, the majority of IT Business Analyst salaries currently range between $71,500 to $104,500 with top earners making $125,000 annually across the United States.
- In Cummins, the average IT Business Analyst is $76,452 /yr.
- In J.P. Morgan, the average IT Business Analyst is $76,122/yr
- In Cisco Systems, the average IT Business Analyst is $87,169/yr
- In Target, the average IT Business Analyst is $94,149
Preparing for an Interview? Check out our Business Analyst Interview Questions!
IT business analyst salary in Canada
According to Payscale, the average salary for a Business Analyst, IT is C$66,678.Employees with Business Analyst, IT in their job title in Calgary, Alberta earn an average of 11.6% more than the national average. These job titles also find higher than average salaries in Vancouver, British Columbia (6.6% more) and Edmonton, Alberta (5.0% more).
The lowest salaries can be found in Montréal, Québec (4.7% less), Winnipeg, Manitoba (0.3% less), and Mississauga, Ontario (0.2% less). The top respondents for the job title Business Analyst, IT is from the companies CGI Group IncBell Canada and Intact Insurance Company.
Reported salaries are highest at Online Business Systems where the average pay is C$76,612. Other companies that offer high salaries for this role include CGI Group Inc. and Intact Insurance Company, earning around C$67,133 and C$66,127, respectively. RBC Bank pays the lowest at around C$51,200. Air Canada and Scotiabank also pay on the lower end of the scale, paying C$52,116 and C$60,000, respectively.
Also read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Business Analytics
Technical skills and tools
These are the major skills that an IT business analyst should have:
- Interpersonal and consultative skills
- Oral and written communication proficiency
- Creative Outlook
- Basic software knowledge and skills
- Basic programing language knowledge
- Understanding of Databases and Networks
- Industry knowledge
- Process Modeling
- Analytical Problem Solving capabilities
- Business structure understanding
- Knowledge of Relevant Tools, e.g.:BluePrint
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Requirements Engineering
And some of the important tools used by them are:
Business analysts utilise this modelling tool to effectively collect and communicate stakeholder ideas as business operations and user interactions.
Because it allows for collaborative definition and analysis, this tool has been recognised as a premier business analytics tool. Text and visual representations are used to define requirements. Modern Requirements supports Smart Docs, Trace Analysis, and other elicitation technologies.
Another major software tool used by businesses to create better applications is Blueprint. We can use this tool to link business strategy and IT execution.
Trello is a collaboration platform that enables teams to connect and share information in a secure manner. It also allows administrators to analyze business data.
This is one of the most common and widely used techniques by organisations in order to evaluate a business. SWOT stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
In this blog, we defined who is a Business Analyst, then we defined who is an IT Business Analyst. We went on describing its job description. We looked in-depth at the roles of an IT Business Analyst and then we looked at their job trends and salary. I hope this blog helped you.
Let us know If you are having any queries. Drop it in our Business Analyst Community!