In this blog, you will learn –
To learn more about Data Architect, have a look at our YouTube video –
What is Data Architecture ?
Every time we are using an electronic gadget, we are creating and using data. To utilize this data efficiently, we need Data Architecture. Data Architecture governs how organizations store, collect, arrange, integrate and use data. It comprises policies, rules, standards and models.
The goal of data architecture is to provide people with relevant data whenever they need it, and help them to understand and use that data to improve the enterprise’s business and profits.
Why do we need Data Architecture
Data Architecture is important for many reasons. Some of them are listed below:
- It gives a structure to govern data.
- It helps enterprises understand data more efficiently.
- It helps to make the data more secure and private.
- Supports the company’s business intelligence activities.
- Gives guidelines to manage data from initial capture of information to its consumption by people.
Now that we have some understanding about what Data architecture is and why we need it, let’s see what makes a Data Architecture effective.
What is Big Data? Read our blog Big Data Tutorial for Beginners | What is Big Data? to understand.
Effective Data Architecture
A good data architecture helps the organization to make its data fall in line with its business strategies. It guides how data is collected, integrated, and delivered to people who need it. It helps to make data usable for decision-making in businesses. Data architecture is modern and effective if it has certain characteristics.
Some of those characteristics are given below:
- Simple – A good data architecture has simplicity in data assembly frameworks, data movement, data platforms, and analytical platforms
- Secure – It is important to ensure that data is available to only those who need it. An effective data architecture also acknowledges pre-existing threats, and those that might emerge later, and ensures that legislations like GDPR and HIPAA are being complied with.
- User-driven – These days, users have the liberty to define their requirements, because data architects can access data to meet business needs and create solutions.
- Elastic – If a Data Architecture is elastic, companies can scale up or scale down, as per demand.
- Driven by Artificial Intelligence – Using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, smart data architectures recommend solutions to new conditions.
Now that you know What is Data Architect, but are still wondering where to get started,
Enroll in our Big Data Hadoop Certification Training Course, offered by Intellipaat in collaboration with IBM.
Who is a Data Architect ?
Data Architects are the brains behind Data Architecture. They translate business requirements from all units into data requirements. Data architects are required to have a good knowledge of cloud computing and databases, and the programs used to use data to their maximum potential.
Data Architects study business needs and requirements and then create technology roadmaps to fulfill those needs and meet the requirements. They design blueprints for the flow of data, collect data from various sources, and send it to people who need it.
Fascinating, right ? Now, let’s see how to become a Data Architect.
How to become a Data Architect ?
Making a career as a Data Architect is no piece of cake, but making sure you have the right qualifications and certifications, can give you the right start. Let’s discuss what you need to do to get started and how to become a Data Architect or a Big Data Architect.
Education and Certifications
- Getting a Bachelor’s Degree – A degree in Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or any field related to this is usually the minimum requirement most companies have to apply for a job as Data Architect.
Most of these programs include courses about Data Management, Database Systems, Programming, etc., which are needed to become a good Data Architect. These programs also instill problem solving skills.
- Work / Internship Experience – While pursuing your degree, getting a part-time job or internship in the IT field, will make it easier for you to later get an entry level job in the industry.
After completing your education, you can start working and get a job in programming or database management. This will help you get relevant experience needed for becoming a data architect.
- Certifications and Training – There’s no specific course or mandatory certification needed to become a Data Architect but doing some courses might help you learn more and enhance your skills. These courses provide you everything you need you learn, and combine it together to make the learning process easier for you.
Skills needed to be a data architect
Data Architects need to have a vast variety of skills. The most important ones are listed below:
- Technical Skills
These typically include machine learning, agile methodologies, software management, database management system, etc. Other skills include Application server software like Oracle and Natural Language Processing.
- Programming Skills
Knowledge of Programming Languages like C/C++, Python, Java, and Perl.
- Generic Skills
Skills like teamwork, leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills are also very important.
- Business Skills
These are skills like business planning and strategic planning.
- Data Modelling
Data Modelling is the first step of database designing. A group of concepts arranged to form data semantics, data relationships, and data constraints, is known as Data Model. Data Models are used to manipulate data in databases.
- Database Design
Design a database is one of the most required skills to become a data architect. A well-designed database gives you accurate and up-to-date information, that is why a good database design is very important to make a business successful.
- Analytical and Problem-solving skills
Analytical skills are very important to solve business problems and provide profit-building solutions.
To learn more about skills needed to become a Data Architect or pursue other careers in Data Science, read our blog Most-Wanted Data Science Skills for 2021
Building a Resume
When you have the necessary skills and the minimum experience requirement for job applications, building a strong resume is the next most important step. If you do not have a good resume, your application will not get through the initial screening process, no matter how strong your skills are.
To make your resume stand out from the crowd, mention all relevant IT, business, and managerial skills. Also, list all your work experience and internships in chronological order, and describe your role and responsibilities in the company.
Read our blog on building a Data Scientist Resume to learn more.
Responsibilities of a Data Architect
A data architect’s role is to maintain the flow of data from users to the website, and then back from the website to the user. A data architect should support the goals of the organisation and help its employees to use the data.
Their task is to design data and analyse it, while keeping in mind the costs and time requirements of the business. They should keep the security of data in mind while designing databases.
The responsibility of a data architect is to create a blueprint for a database management system. They assess a company’s data sources and make a plan to integrate, maintain and protect them, to make it easier for employees to access data at the right time.
According to various Data Architect job descriptions posted on Indeed.com and Glassdoor.co.in, the common responsibilities of data architects are –
- Work with IT teams to make data strategies to address industry requirements.
- Search for new chances to acquire data from various sources.
- Evaluate pre-existing data management techniques.
- Do modeling the data for database structures.
- Plan a vision for data flow within the organization.
- Giving technical specifications after translating business requirements.
- Design, construct, document, and deploy large relational databases.
- Integrate functionalities like security, reliability, scalability, and performance.
- Ensure that the data is accurate and available and accessible to those who need it.
- Collaborate with all different departments, partners, and stakeholders.
So now that we have an understanding of Data Architecture, how to become a data architect, the skills and education needed, and the responsibilities they have, let’s look at job opportunities as a data architect.
Go through our Hadoop Interview Question to crack the Interviews.
Data Architect Jobs
Searches on Indeed.com and Naukri.com showed that jobs are available for data architects in a variety of industries, from finance to healthcare and pharmaceuticals, and from technology to consulting.
Most of these jobs show similar roles and responsibilities, such as creating roadmaps for Business Intelligence transformation, implement and optimize designs of databases and developing data strategies.
Want to learn Big Data? Watch this video Big Data & Hadoop Full Course by Intellipaat to learn.
The minimum requirement most companies have is a Bachelor’s degree in related fields, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or other similar fields but candidates with a master’s degrees are mostly preferred.
Entry level positions require 2-4 years of experience in the IT fields, and for higher level positions, most companies ask for 8-10 years of experience working as a Data Architect.
Companies want highly skilled and hardworking professionals, who have outstanding interpersonal skills. Analytical and problem-solving skills are also very important requirements so that the employees can use the data to meet business needs.
Go through Intellipaat’s Big Data Training to learn more in-detail.
How much do Data Architects earn ?
According to Payscale.com the Average Salary for a Data Architect is $ 121,210 per year, and as per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, database administrators and data architects will see a rise in jobs between the years 2019 to 2029 by about 10%, much faster than the common average for all occupations in the U.S.
This expected increase is due to the increasing need to design efficient databases, and more and more companies realizing the true potential of data, if it is used smartly.
Talking about India, according to the data presented on Glassdoor.com, the average Salary of Data Architects in India is ₹19,62,000, showing how rewarding the profession is, and how much in-demand Data Architects are these days.
Senior data architects can make around ₹25,00,000 per year. Tech Giants like IBM, Cognizant Technology Solutions, TCS, Wipro, Capgemini and Accenture hire experienced Data Analysts for very high salaries.
In conclusion, such high salaries and shortage of experienced data architects make the profession one of the most rising career options in the IT industry.
Now you know all that there is to know about how to become a data architect and have the information you need to get you started,
enroll in our Big Data Architect Masters Course Training, in collaboration with IBM, to start learning today.
Also, if you have any more doubts, you can post them on our Community!