What is R Programming Language?
R is a programming language and an analytics tool that was developed in 1993 by Robert Gentleman and Ross Ihaka in the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. It is extensively used by Software Programmers, Statisticians, Data Scientists, and Data Miners. It is one of the most popular analytics tool used in Data Analytics and Business Analytics. It has numerous applications in domains like healthcare, academics, consulting, finance, media, and many more. Its vast applicability in Statistics, Data Visualization, and Machine Learning have given rise to the demand for certified trained professionals in R.
Enroll yourself in R Programming Training and give a head-start to your career in R Programming!
Check this Intellipaat video on R Programming:
So now, that we have understood what is R Programming Language, let’s have a quick glance at the topics which will be covered in this tutorial:
- What is R Programming Language
- Features of R Programming
- Steps to Perform Data Analysis in R Programming
- R Programming Download
- R Programming Installation
- What is RStudio
- RStudio installation
Features of R
Some important features of R are as follows:
- It is a free and open-source programming language issued under GNU (General Public License).
- It has cross-platform interoperability which means that it has distributions running on Windows, Linux, and Mac. R code can easily be ported from one platform to another.
- It uses an interpreter instead of a compiler, which makes the development of code easier.
- It effectively associates different databases, and it does well in bringing in information from Microsoft Excel, as well as, Microsoft Access, MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, etc.
- It is a flexible language that bridges the gap between Software Development and Data Analysis.
- It provides a wide variety of packages with the diversity of codes, functions, and features tailored for data analysis, statistical modeling, visualization, Machine Learning, and importing and manipulating data.
- It integrates various powerful tools to communicate reports in different forms like CSV, XML, HTML, and pdf, and also through interactive websites, with the help of R packages.
Steps to perform Data Analysis in R
- Import: The first step is to import data into the R environment. It means that you take the data stored in files, databases, HTML tables, etc., and load it into an R data frame to perform data analysis on it.
- Transform: In this step, first, we make our data tidy by making each column a variable, and each row an observation. Once we have tidy data, we narrow down on it to find observations of our interest, create new variables that are functions of existing variables, and find summary statistics of the observations.
Go through this R training in Hyderabad to get a clear understanding of R Programming!
- Visualization: It is used to make our data more understandable by representing data in graphical form. Visualization makes it easy to recognize patterns, find trends, and exceptions in our data. It enables us to convey information and results in a quick and visual way.
- Model: Models are complementary tools for visualization. These are fundamentally mathematical or computational tools used to answer questions related to our observations.
- Communication: In this last step of data analysis, we focus on communicating the results from visualization and modeling with others.R provides the ease to produce well-designed print- quality plots for sharing worldwide.
Get familiar with the top R Programming Interview Questions to get a head start in your career!
R Programming Download
To download R, just follow the steps below:
- Go to the link https://cran.r-project.org/
- For Windows, Click on base
- Download the latest version of R on your system.
R Programming Installation
- To install R on your system, execute the downloaded file
- Follow the installation instructions and leave all default settings in the installation options
Watch this R Programming for Beginners Video Tutorials
What is RStudio?
RStudio is a free and open-source IDE (integrated development environment) for programming in R. It makes it easier to write scripts, interact with objects in the R environment, access files, and make graphics more accessible to a casual user. It is available in two versions:
- RStudio Desktop edition, where a program runs locally as a regular desktop application.
- RStudio Server edition, which allows a user to access RStudio using a web browser while it runs on a remote server.
Prepackaged distributions of RStudio Desktop are available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Wish to get certified in R Programming! Learn R Programming from top R Programming experts and excel in your career with Intellipaat’s R Programming certification!
- Go to the link https://www.rstudio.com/
- Click on Download RStudio
- Download and install RStudio Desktop on your system.
This tutorial has covered topics like what is an R programming language, steps it uses to perform data analysis, and the features it provides. It also has discussed the Installation procedure of both R and RStudio, and why RStudio is preferred as an IDE for R.After installation we are ready to start with the coding part, which will be included in the next tutorial.
Still, got queries? Come to Intellipaat’s R Programming Community, clarify all your doubts, and excel in your career!