A candidate should focus on building a powerful resume while applying for a job. Not only it showcases your technical skills and expertise, but also gives the recruiter an idea about your personality.
Nowadays, recruiters use various AI tools to filter best candidates based on different criteria. So, let us go through the topics that one should focus on while creating a Power BI developer resume.
Check out this video on Power BI Interview Questions:
General Tips for Building a Resume
Everyone is different, so the resumes should be unique. Here are some general tips that you should keep in mind before creating a Microsoft Power BI resume:
- Use standard document preparation software, such as LaTeX, for creating a resume.
- Use professional fonts such as Arial, Verdana, Calibri, Cambria, Garamond, Times New Roman, or Didot.
- Use a professional email that contains your name and is easy to remember. Do not use a random email address with a gibberish name.
- Use a single font color and style throughout your document.
- Only mention the projects, certifications, and work experience that relates to the job posting.
- Condense your experience and skills to concise wordings. Your resume should convey the expertise and knowledge.
- Get a professional resume template from a resume-building website, software company, or LinkedIn.
- Do not expand your resume to multiple pages, keep it to one or two pages.
- Proofread your resume and make sure there are no incorrect spelling and grammar errors.
Keeping these general tips in mind, let us craft a Power BI resume to apply for different positions in Power BI.
Enroll in our Power BI Certification training and start learning Power BI!
Name and Personal Details
Mention your name and personal details on the top of your resume. Mention your email and phone number but avoid mentioning the entire address; only add the city or town name the state you belong to.
Get 50% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
The same goes for education as well; you just have to mention the name of your school or college, its place, and the year you graduated. Rank your educational qualifications from highest to lowest.
High School: 2011
The summary section in a resume highlights your key skill sets and elevates the recruiter’s interest in your resume. Even though companies are using artificial intelligence to filter suitable candidates for the job, a summary with relatable keywords and skills increases the likelihood of your resume being shortlisted.
Try to keep the summary part in between 3–5 sentences and only mention the skills and hobbies that align with the job profile. Avoid mentioning hobbies like watching movies, hanging out with friends, etc. Instead, talk about such hobbies in your interview and explain how it helps you personally.
An experienced Power BI developer with over five years of experience in developing enthralling reports and applications in Tableau and Power BI. Worked with several organizations wherein visualized different business scenarios in the form of dashboards.
Having some experience in business intelligence or any other field will surely make your resume stand out. But, what if you have only graduated from college and are looking for a job to kick start your career in Power BI? Well, in the coming sections we will discuss the particular topics, skills, and projects that you should mention based on your graduation and experience.
Go through the Power BI Tutorial to get a clear understanding of it!
Power BI Resume for Freshers
As a fresher, you will not be able to add any work experience to your resume, so it is important for you to work on a number of projects and do some internships in related fields. Also mention your career objectives so that the recruiters can get an idea about your future goals.
Below are some of the general career objectives from where you can seek help and make a strong resume:
- Looking for a challenging position to fully utilize my skills and training while contributing to the growth of the company.
- Seeking an entry-level job in the field of business intelligence and work in a professional environment.
- Seeking a responsible career opportunity in a reputable organization where I can work with experienced professionals and reach my full potential.
Power BI Resume for 2–5 Years Experience
If you are an experienced professional, the part that plays a crucial part in your resume is your experience and how you demonstrate it. Companies primarily filter resumes based on a candidate’s work experience, referring to job profile, roles, and responsibilities and not the number of years at an organization.
You might have 10 years of experience as a data scientist, business analyst, or Power BI professional, but if you are not able to showcase how knowledgeable and experienced you are in the field of business intelligence, you may not get a chance to apply for the interview.
First of all, write your job title, company name, and duration at the company. Below that, mention the roles you have worked on and the positive changes you have made for the users and the company.
Below is an example of how you should frame the work experience part on your resume:
Power BI Analyst—XYZ Company (March 2019–September 2021)
- Created interactive and highly informative Power BI reports using advanced DAX features
- Used Power BI to collaborate with different users and stakeholders to work on live data sources
- Was responsible for performing data analytics and generating insights as per business requirements
- Was responsible for creating Power BI apps and connecting them with live data sets for real-time analysis
Now, let us go through some important skills that you should mention in your resume for the job profile of a Power BI developer.
To help crack interviews, we have prepared a set of the most frequently asked Power BI interview questions!
Must have Skills in a Power BI Developer Resume
Although Business Intelligence is a truly diverse field and entails numerous technologies, there are some skills that you must include in your Power BI resume. For a Power BI Analyst resume, you should mention the following skill sets:
- Must have some experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Power BI, Tableau, and QlikSense.
- Hands-on experience in data analytics tools like Excel, SSAS, DAX, SQL Server, etc.
- Familiar with HTML, CSS, Angular.JS, Python, R, and other scripting languages.
- Have sound knowledge of database management systems, data modeling, data warehousing, data visualization, business intelligence, OLAP(Online Analytical Processing), etc.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft BI Stack.
- Knowledge of various software development life cycle models and documentation.
You can also mention the exact same skills in a Power BI admin resume too. Now, let’s go through one of the Power BI resume examples and see what a Power BI resume looks like.
Microsoft Power BI Sample Resume
Below is a Power BI developer sample resume that will give a better understanding of how to design your Microsoft Power BI resume:
Power BI is one of the most popular tools in business intelligence among various industries, which leads to high demand for Power BI professionals. In this blog, we have discussed the general tips and tricks that one should keep in mind while making a resume for a Power BI job profile.
For more information on Power BI, visit our Business Intelligence Community!