For a business to run successfully, enterprises have to make tough decisions that impact their revenue and growth on an everyday basis. It is better to know what lies ahead and act accordingly. Well, Business Intelligence tools help you do just that by keeping the bad choices at bay using analytics. This blog talks about the two most important BI tools, Power BI and MSBI, and gives you an insight into which tool drives data in the right direction.
The following are discussed in the article:
What is MSBI?
Microsoft Business Intelligence (MSBI) is a product with ETL capabilities. It can visualize and organize multidimensional data, along with the extracting, transforming, and loading (ETL) of data points. It basically transforms raw data into insightful business information.
The three categories into which MSBI is divided into are given below:
- SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services): The tool for integration
- SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services): The tool for analysis
- SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services): The tool for reporting
Check out this video by Intellipaat to know more about MSBI:
What is Power BI?
This Business Intelligence tool from Microsoft provides various modeling capabilities such as data discovery, data preparation, and the creation of interactive dashboards. Power BI can really help us make powerful business decisions. It can pull data in any form, be it images, videos, Excel sheets, or even a centralized database system, and visualize on top of it.
Power BI is broken up into a couple of components:
- Power BI Desktop: This free application upon installing in your desktop, gives you freedom to connect, modify and visualize the data at hand. You can carry out data modelling by taking data from multiple sources and creating visuals and reports, and share them with others in your organization.
- Power BI Service: It is a cloud service in the Microsoft cloud offerings, which eases the sharing and collaboration of summaries and reports. It helps bring all the relevant data to one place.
- Power BI Mobile Apps: They let us use the service on the go and not wait to reach our desktop to start working. This facility is supported on Windows 10, Android, and iOS devices.
Check out this Intellipaat video to get a step closer to understanding Power BI:
Criteria Used to Differentiate Between MSBI and Power BI
With a wide range of options to choose from, it becomes often confusing to decide which one to pick. This differentiation will help you find the most befitting tool for your organization. The following are the parameters used to differentiate them:
- Mechanism of working
- Data handling
- Learning Curve
Difference Between MSBI and Power BI
Business Intelligence tracks market trends and draws meaningful insights into enterprises to make the right decisions. Different tools are widely used by Data Analysts, IT professionals, and even the heads of companies, which keep them on their toes. Power BI is the most sought-after tool when it comes to visualizing complex data and providing a deeper understanding of the business. Even though MSBI has found its place in most office spaces, Power BI is gradually but assertively being realized as the most straightforward option among the two.
Now that we have weighed the pros and cons of both tools, you might need a hand in making your next step.
Check out this Power BI Course by Intellipaat to become a certified Power BI expert!