Customer Relationship Management (CRM) refers to a type of methodology acquired by organizations to know more about their customer’s needs, demands, behavior, and interests to strengthen their relationship with them. Moreover, CRM also helps the organization maintain healthy and engaging relationships within the organization and outside of the organization. It also helps to enhance communication, engagement, collaboration, and interaction within the above-mentioned entities.
Table of Content
If this field of Salesforce thrills you, check out our Salesforce Tutorial video
Introduction to Salesforce
Salesforce is a US-based cloud-based company that offers a CRM suite along with other auxiliary integrating services that are used to provide services to the users.
- Salesforce.com assist users in customer support, marketing, analysis, and sales. These pointers help to generate leads of potential customers, help in maintaining a healthy and engaging relationship, and target users.
- Services provided by Salesforce are based on cloud computing, Salesforce provides software based on SaaS, and these services are accessible from any part of the world.
- Salesforce is highly customizable and because of this feature, it is straightforward to use and implement, also it yields better.
- The whole working of Salesforce can be explained in three magical words: Analytics, Operational, and Collaboration.
- While working with Salesforce professionals have to create functionalities or the application logic, this can be done in two ways either by using GUI in an automated way or manually by writing the code in apex.
- Job responsibilities of professionals also include the creation of visual force pages, clients\users support, and the development of different salesforce components using apex programming.
- Salesforce stores clients’ data in a secured location, known as records. When records are combined with customizations, it is called a Salesforce Environment.
- There are three types of Salesforce Environments –
- Have a look over the attached image to know about the Salesforce architecture.
Interested in Salesforce? Learn from the best and get certified. Check out our Salesforce Certification.
Salesforce Permission Sets
Profiles and Permission sets in Salesforce are two terms that are really important concepts, yet very confusing. Let’s have a look over the Permission Sets and then we will hop to Profile Sets.
Permission Sets or Object Level Security in Salesforce refers to the collection of different permissions and settings which are meant for the users/clients. It determines their scope of access to different tools, functions, services, and resources offered on the platform.
Go through the below-mentioned pointers to have a better understanding of Permission sets.
- The flow of control in the working of permission sets is Object -> Field -> Record.
- While using permission sets, users’ functional access can be extended without changing their profiles.
- Based on the Salesforce edition you are using, you will be able to assign multiple permission sets to the users/clients irrespective of their profiles.
- Some of the different types of operations performed by the users/clients are –
- Creation and alteration of permission sets.
- Application and system settings in permission sets.
- Enabling custom permissions in permission sets.
- Search through permission sets.
- While being a Salesforce professional, you can grant permission sets to the user/clients in two ways –
- To allow users/clients access to specific apps or custom objects.
- To permanently or temporarily grant certain fields with permissions.
- In nature permission sets are additive which means you, as a user cannot revoke anyone’s access, all you can do is grant permission sets.
- To revoke someone’s access, you have to use an AppExchange application called Permissioner, which is developed to grant and remove permission sets to various users at once.
- Steps followed for Permission Sets Creations –
- Step 1:
Enter the Setup tab, then transition to Permission sets, then select permission sets from the Manage users section.
- Step 2:
Click on the new tab and provide asked details.
- Step 3:
Select the license types of users for permission set.
- Step 4:
Click on Save.
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
- Permission Sets in Salesforce can further be divided into different categories as stated below –
- Custom Permission Set – In this, you as admins in the organization, can create a custom permission set based on the inputs received from the user’s performed actions.
- Integration Permission Set – Your organization can only alter certain permission types and this also depends on the use case for the particular integration.
- Managed Permission Set – Here, you can install various types of packages from managed packages that have the package namespace.
- Session-based permission set – In this, professionals provide functional access based on the designated session type.
- Standard Permission Set – It provides standard permission for roles connected to a permission set license.
Salesforce Permission Sets is a much-needed component in CRM provided by Salesforce. In the next section, we will continue our journey with profiles and permission sets in salesforce, and we will conclude our journey in the next section after learning about profile sets.
Curious about the field of Salesforce? Have a look at our Salesforce tutorial to kickstart your journey in the field of Salesforce.
What is a Profile Set?
In the previous section, we had a detailed discussion about Permission Sets. Continuing our profiles and permission sets in the salesforce series, let’s have a word or two about Profile Sets.
Profile Sets in Salesforce refer to the combination of settings and permissions specified to every specific user when they join Salesforce. These profiles decide the extent of their action over the platform in simple words which means what are the functions, records, resources, and data they can access while using the platform.
Below-mentioned pointers will give you in-depth knowledge about Profile sets.
- Unlike permission sets, it is mandatory to create a profile for using salesforce as it defines the ways users/clients can access the platform.
- The profiles created by the users on salesforce are divided into two major categories –
- Standard Profile – This type of profile is provided by default for every salesforce user at the time of their joining.
- Custom Profile – Custom Profiles are created by the user/clients based on their specific requirements.
- Profile Sets and Permission Sets are almost similar to each other. It is possible to perform CRED (Creation, Reading, Editing, Deletion) in both of the concepts but the profile set is the way to access permission sets.
- Follow the below-mentioned steps to create your profile on salesforce –
- Sign up on Salesforce, log into your Salesforce account, and transition to “Setup”.
- Click on “Setup Home” and search for profiles in Quick Find Box, a profile window will open, and click on the new profile.
- From the drop-down menu of different profiles select one and enter the details asked in the provided space.
- Click on save once you are done filling in the details, and your salesforce profile creation is a success.
Profiles and Permission Sets in Salesforce
In this section, we are going to let you know the difference between Permission Set and Profile Set. These terms are usually confused by individuals because there are a lot of similarities between these two terms. Let’s have a look over the differentiating pointers between the two.
|Permission Sets ||Profile Sets|
|It is not mandatory to create permission sets for the user.||It is mandatory to create profile sets for the user as it is the entry point for the user into Salesforce.|
|Permission set acts as an extension for the users on the platform. It is not the baseline, a user can have as many permission sets as they want.||Profile set acts as a baseline for the user on the platform, a user can only be associated to only one profile at a time.|
|Permission set acts additive in nature.||Profile set acts as restrictive in nature.|
Willing to choose Salesforce as your career? Have a look over the Top Salesforce Interview Questions asked by top recruiters.
In the blog: What are Permission Sets in Salesforce, we had a detailed discussion about Permission Sets. We also introduced you to the concept of Profile Sets, and the major differentiating factors between these two terminologies. Salesforce is the best CRM suite provider in the market which enhance the yields of an organization.
If have any query related to the topic visit Intellipaat’s Salesforce Community to resolve your query.