Introduction to Python
Nowadays, Python is in great demand. It is widely used in the software development industry. There are ‘n’ number of reasons for this.
- High-level object-oriented programming language: Python includes effective
- Rapid application development: Because of its concise code
and literal syntax, the development of applications gets accelerated. The
reason for its wide usability is its simple and easy-to-master syntax. The
simplicity of the code helps reduce the time and cost of development.
- Dynamic typescript: Python has high-level incorporated data structures
blended with dynamic typescript and powerful binding.
Now, let us
dive deeper into some of the unique features that make Python the most
ubiquitous language among the developer community. Here are a few of the many
features of Python:
- Python supports code reusability and modularity.
- It has a quick edit-inspect-debug cycle.
- Debugging is straightforward in Python programs.
- It has its own debugger written in Python itself, declaring to Python’s reflective power.
- Python includes a plethora of third-party components present in the Python Package Index (PyPI).
Now, for executing Python programs, we need an IDE. So, next in this blog on ‘What is PyCharm?,’ we will look at ‘What an Integrated Development Environment is?’
Watch this How to use Pycharm:
What is an IDE?
‘What is PyCharm?’ and ‘What is PyCharm
used for?,’ we should first be able to answer the question, ‘What is an IDE?’
An IDE consists of an editor and a compiler that we use to write and compile programs. It has a combination of features required for developing software.
of an IDE makes the development process and programming much easier. It
interprets what we are typing and suggests the relevant keyword to insert. We
can distinguish between a class and a method as the IDE allocates different
colors to them. The IDE also gives different colors for the right and the wrong
keywords. If we are writing a wrong keyword, it tries to predict the keyword
that we intend to write and auto completes it.
Interested in learning Python? Enroll in our Python Course in London now!
Why should we use an IDE?
reasons for using an IDE for development are given below:
- An IDE consists of a text editor window where we can write our programs.
- It consists of a project editor window where we store all the necessary files of a software project.
- We can provide various inputs and check the efficiency of our program by inspecting the output we receive on the output window.
- If any error occurs, then the IDE shows warnings and suggestions on the output window so that we can resolve it.
- An IDE has a rack of modules and packages in one place that helps add features in our software applications.
- It helps increase efficiency in creating software.
Now, do you want to know which IDE we use for Python programming and application development? The most popular and widely used IDE for Python application development and programming is PyCharm.
Let’s look into What is PyCharm? and ‘What is PyCharm used for?’
What is PyCharm?
PyCharm is a hybrid-platform developed by JetBrains as an IDE for Python. It is commonly used for Python application development. Some of the unicorn organizations such as Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, and Pinterest use PyCharm as their Python IDE!
It supports two versions: v2.x and v3.x.
We can run PyCharm on Windows, Linux, or Mac OS. Additionally, it contains modules and packages that help programmers develop software using Python in less time and with minimal effort. Further, it can also be customized according to the requirements of developers.
Features of PyCharm: Why should we use it for our next Python project?
Below, we have compiled some of the essential features provided by PyCharm.
1. Intelligent Code Editor:
- It helps us write high-quality codes!
- It consists of color schemes for keywords, classes, and functions. This helps increase the readability and understanding of the code.
- It helps identify errors easily.
- It provides the autocomplete feature and instructions for the completion of the code.
2. Code Navigation:
- It helps developers in editing and enhancing the
code with less effort and time.
- With code navigation, a developer can easily
navigate to a function, class, or file.
- A programmer can locate an element, a symbol, or a
variable in the source code within no time.
- Using the lens mode, further, a developer can
thoroughly inspect and debug the entire source code.
- It has the advantage of making efficient and quick changes to both local and global variables.
- Refactoring in PyCharm enables developers to improve the internal structure without changing the external performance of the code.
- It also helps split up more extended classes and functions with the help of the extract method.
4. Assistance for Many Other Web Technologies:
- It helps developers create web applications in Python.
- Developers have the choice of live editing with this IDE. At the same time, they can preview the created/updated web page.
- The developers can follow the changes directly on a web browser.
- PyCharm also supports AnglularJS and NodeJS for developing web applications.
5. Support for Popular Python Web Frameworks
- PyCharm supports web frameworks such as Django.
- It provides the autocomplete feature and suggestions for the parameters of Django.
- It helps in debugging the codes of Django.
- It also assist web2py and Pyramid, the other popular web frameworks.
6. Assistance for Python Scientific Libraries
- PyCharm supports Python’s scientific libraries such as Matplotlib, NumPy, and Anaconda.
- These scientific libraries help in building projects of Data Science and Machine Learning.
- It consists of interactive graphs that help developers understand data.
- It is capable of integrating with various tools such as IPython, Django, and Pytest. This integration helps innovate unique solutions.
Learn more about Pycharm in detail for free from our Blog on PyCharm Tutorial.
So far, we have learned ‘What
is PyCharm?’ and ‘What is PyCharm
used for?’ Further, we will see the installation of PyCharm.
The installation of PyCharm requires no effort. You just need to open the official website with the following link:
will open up the website as shown below:
There are two versions: Professional and Community. The Community version is free and open-source and the Professional version is the paid one. You can choose any according to your requirements and then you can proceed with configuring PyCharm
You can check out the list of Python Interview Questions prepared by experts, which will help you crack any Python interview!
Who uses PyCharm?
500+ companies that use PyCharm for their application development.
Some of the companies are listed below:
many tools that can be combined with PyCharm for enhancing software development. A
few of them are:
Pros and Cons of Using PyCharm
PyCharm is a wonderful IDE for Python programmers and application developers. However, there are some pros and cons of using PyCharm. Let’s see.
- Installing PyCharm is very easy.
- is an IDE that is easy to use.
- There are a lot of useful plugins and productive shortcuts in PyCharm.
- It integrates library and IDE features such as auto-completing and coloring.
- It allows viewing of the source code in a click.
- Software development is much faster using PyCharm.
- The feature of error spotlighting in the code further enhances the development process.
- The community of Python Developers is extremely large so that we can resolve our queries/doubts easily.
- PyCharm is not free and its Professional version is
- It is not considered good for beginners due to its
- It may create trouble while fixing up tools such as
This is all about ‘What is PyCharm?’ and ‘What is PyCharm
If you have more doubts or queries related to Python or PyCharm, get them clarified from the Python experts on our Python Community!