This blog mainly covers the following:
What is a Web Developer?
Let us begin the blog by understanding who a Web Developer is before reading about the numerous Web Developer roles and responsibilities. These professionals are a type of programmers who are mainly associated with the development of various distributed network applications or applications related to the World Wide Web (www). These applications run numerous protocols such as HTTP, and HTTPs from the webserver to the user browser using a number of programming languages such as Ruby, HTML/CSS, and PHP.
Now, that you have got a basic idea of “What is Web Development?” and “Who are Web Developers?”, let’s learn more about what a web developer does.
Check out this video on how to become a Front End Web Developer:
What does a Web Developer do?
Web Developers have a combination of both technical and graphic designing skills that help them build specific designs on websites. The Web Developer’s job description requires these professionals to develop web pages that have a good user interface (UI) and are pleasing to look at, along with being secure and functional.
They are responsible for developing these user-friendly sites that meet the demands and needs of customers or employers. They generally implement ideas that might not be theirs, but of others who lack the skills and knowledge of a functional web page.
Further, let us understand how one can build a career in this domain.
How to become a Web Developer?
To become a successful professional in web development, you need to have certain skills and qualifications.
2. Education: It is totally possible to learn coding independently. However, web development involves more than just learning how to code. Implementing coding skills within a broader context is essential, and this is where a formal education comes in.
One can acquire the foundational knowledge of web development, its principles and practices, as well as skills in project management and problem-solving. Therefore, a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field is advised to pursue this domain.
3. Technical Skills: We have discussed the need for education. However, web development is such a field in which those with skills can easily achieve equal employment opportunities as those with formal education or even outperform them. Rather than how or where someone acquired their knowledge, companies are more interested in candidates who can perform and execute.
4. Practice: One can only learn by doing. Aspirants can set up a GitHub account. Practicing coding and using Git can help establish and prepare one for teamwork, as well as the management of the complicated website and application builds. An active Github profile is a great way to catch the attention of recruiters.
Next, let’s take a look at some of the skills and tools that you will need to learn to become a Web Developer.
Check out our Full Stack Web Development Course video:
Web Developer Skills
Web Developer Skills required for professionals include:
- Experience working in at least one server-side framework such as Ruby on Rails, Python, Java, PHP, and ASP.
- Knowledge of database systems, e.g., Oracle and SQL
- Proficiency in MySQL
- Proficiency in using various Web Development tools such as jQuery, Sublime Text, GitHub, and more
- Understanding of partial page updates, asynchronous request handling, and AJAX
These are just a few of the Web Developer requirements that are necessary to become a professional in this field.
You can acquire all these skills by enrolling in one of the best online Web Development Courses offered by Intellipaat. The course also assists you in preparing a Web Developer resume that will help you highlight your skills and projects in this domain and aid you in landing a lucrative job.
Top 13 Web Developer Tools
Following are some of the most popular and commonly used Web Development tools used by professionals:
- Visual Studio Code
- Sublime Text
- Chrome DevTools
You should check out our Angular 6 Tutorial to get an understanding of this Web Development tool.
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
Major Roles and Responsibilities of a Web Developer
There are various roles and responsibilities that these professionals need to meet and work on in an organization. Some of the major Web Developer responsibilities include:
- Developing, designing, and maintaining software applications and websites
- Using various authoring or scripting languages and content creation tools
- Conferring with other departments in order to prioritize needs, resolve conflicts, come up with solutions, and build content criteria
- Performing and directing updates on websites
- Creating or validating test schedules and routines
- Designing, writing, and editing the web content
- Programming, testing, debugging, designing, developing, testing, and deploying web apps
- Writing codes for tests, pages, files, debugging, and deployment
- Supporting and assisting in the maintenance and upkeep of the web pages
- Researching as well as presenting the latest software applications compatible with the upcoming and trending technologies
- Conducting periodic testing, along with implementing contingency plans, for system failure situations
Enroll in Intellipaat’s Full Stack Developer Certification to master front-end and back-end technologies.
Web Developer Career Path
To begin your career in the domain of Web Development, you need to have prior experience in the field which will highlight your Web Developer profile. Now to gain experience, you can apply for a Web Developer internship in a startup and grab the opportunity to work in the corporate world.
There are numerous job opportunities available once you complete Web Development training. It is one of the most popular and highly in-demand certifications today for various reasons. Most organizations of the day require these professionals to develop and maintain their web pages.
Check out some of the most common Web Development jobs available in the market today.
Web Developer Job Roles
Some of the most sought-after jobs in this domain are as follows:
You can also begin your career in this field by starting as a freelance Web Developer and gaining the necessary experience at your convenience.
Here are some screenshots of job postings for these professionals on Indeed.
Web Application Developer in Crompco, LLC
Web Development Job in Audit Analytics, MA
Top 7 Companies Hiring Web Developers
The top seven organizations that are currently hiring these IT professionals include:
If you wish to build a career in this field and apply for the jobs offered by these MNCs, then you should check out some Web Developer interview questions online and prepare yourself for job interviews.
Curious to learn more about Web Development? Read our full guide on Web Development Tutorial now!
Web Developer Salary
Web Development professionals come under the highest-paid IT professionals in the world today category. These professionals are highly in demand. Both startups and major organizations are looking to hire these professionals to develop, design, and keep their web pages up-to-date. You can read more on our blog on Web Developer Salary.
Web Developer Salary in the United States
The average income of entry-level Web professionals is about US$56,778 per annum in the United States as per Indeed. This amount may rise as high as US$93,000 per annum based on experience, performance, and the employer says Glassdoor.
Web Developer Salary in India
In India, the average annual salary of these professionals is approximately ₹320,759 p.a. According to Payscale. This income may increase to ₹782,000/year.
Full Stack Web Developer Salary in the United States
Full-Stack developer skills are consists of both backend and frontend developers. Full Stack Web Developers are the highest-paid developers in the world. In the United States, the average salary of these IT professionals is about US$101,911 per annum according to Indeed.
Full Stack Web Developer Salary in India
In India, the average income of Full Stack Web Developers is ₹504,875 per annum as per Glassdoor.
Looking to crack your Web Development Interview? Read our comprehensive Web Developer Interview Questions now!
Build Your Career as a Web Developer
We are currently living in a digital age where most users reach out to companies for various services and products. For an organization to be among the top and attract as many customers as possible, it needs to offer good products and services.
In addition, the company needs to have a user-friendly and easy-to-use website so that users revisit its web pages and request those services and products from it rather than reaching out to its competitors.
Therefore, various MNCs and companies need Web Development professionals who can build their websites and meet the requirements of their users. This is why there is an abundant need for these professionals in the market today. In the coming future, the demand for these professionals will only grow as we move more toward digitization.
In this blog, you came across the numerous roles and responsibilities of a Web Developer. Besides, you learned about various skills and criteria you need to acquire and meet to build a career in this field.
To acquire these skills and get a head start in your career in Web Development, sign up for Intellipaat’s Web Development training. It is instructor-led training, along with having self-paced video lectures. Once you complete this course, you will receive the Web Development certification.
Do you want to become a Web Developer? Enhance your knowledge by enrolling in Intellipaat’s Web Developer Foundation Certification!
Web development is not only an exciting field to explore but also at the forefront of the digital age. Pursuing it is a smart career move. Hope this guide will help you to take the next step in your web development career.
If you have any queries with respect to Web Development and the roles and responsibilities of these IT professionals, refer to Intellipaat’s Web Technology Community.