Web Development is working with a combination of both frontend and backend languages that are used by developers and programmers to build a well-functioning website or web application. Here, you will read about some of the most popular web programming languages that you can learn and gain experience in to become a successful Web Developer.
Below are the topics you will cover in this blog:
Watch this video on Top 7 Tools For Web Development
Top 4 Backend Web Development Languages
In this blog on the 8 best Web Development languages to learn in 2021, let us first learn about the top Web Development languages used for the backend. Some of those languages include Python, Java, PHP, and C#. Let’s start learning about these backend languages one by one, which are responsible for the data storage and functionality of web pages.
Python is one of the most powerful and best multi-purpose languages used for Web Development, as well as data analysis. It is an open-source language that is extremely easy to learn and use and also easy to deploy. It is considered one of the best languages to learn for Web Development as it is largely used for the development of scalable web pages and applications.
Significant features of Python:
- Python’s unique selling point (USP) is the design of its language which is simple, elegant, productive, and also powerful.
- It is the standard bar set for developer experience and has influenced a variety of programming languages such as Julia and Go.
- It is one of the best backend languages for Web Development that has first-class integration with programming languages like C and C++.
- It also has the ability to offload the heavy tasks of the CPU to C/C++ in a seamless manner.
- Python offers an abundance of tool sets for computational science, statistics, and mathematics with numerous frameworks and libraries including SciPy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, and NumPy.
Python programming language is used in developing desktop and web applications and applications based on GUI, Data Science, Machine Learning, and network servers.
Pros of Python:
- Supports several platforms and systems
- Improves the productivity of developers and programmers
- Driven by object-oriented programming (OOP)
- Offers a wide range of support libraries
- Allows you to easily scale even complex web applications
- Focuses on the readability of the code
Cons of Python:
- Not an ideal language for mobile computing
- Has a primitive database that is a little underdeveloped
Use cases of Python:
- Internet of Things (IoT) applications
- Serverless computing
- Development of cloud-native
- Business applications
- System programming
Due to its distinct features and benefits, Python is one of the best server-side languages for Web Development.
The average income of Python Developers is about US$76,526 per annum in the United States, with the potential to get increased to US$107,000 per annum for senior professionals.
To become a professional in this domain, sign up for this online Python Training!
Significant features of PHP:
- PHP is a highly productive programming language used in the field of Web Development.
- It is vastly used in the web industry to build and deploy applications at a rapid pace.
- Facebook, one of the most popular and prominent social media applications, is developed using PHP.
Pros of PHP:
- Offers plenty of frameworks
- Easy to use in developing web pages
- Has the Xdebug extension that provides great debugging
- Offers a massive ecosystem, along with great community support
- Supports several automation tools for applications’ testing and deploying
- Supports functional and object-oriented programming paradigms
Cons of PHP:
- Building a web page using only PHP can be slower when compared to other languages.
- It lacks security and error handling features.
Use cases of PHP:
- Building (CMS) systems
- Development of standalone web apps
- Development of server-side web apps
The average income of PHP Developers in the United States is about US$82,007 per annum that may rise to US$100,000 per annum for those with experience.
If you wish to pursue a career in PHP, register for this comprehensive PHP and MySQL Training!
Java is a versatile OOP language used for Android development, as well as desktop and web application development. It is a platform-independent multi-purpose language used for programming and has been a popular choice of language in various organizations for decades. Most companies have adopted it due to its stability. It is one of the best languages for Web Development in 2021 that you should definitely learn.
Significant features of Java:
- Java is a multi-paradigm, feature-rich, interpreted, and powerful programming language that provides high productivity for developers and a moderate curve for learning.
- Due to its backward compatibility, Java is a significant business application requirement.
- Unlike other programming languages such as Scala or Python, Java has never introduced any major updates and changes, which is why it remains the first choice for most companies.
- The runtime of Java, Java Virtual Machine (JVM), is among the best VMs in the IT industry.
Pros of Java:
- Offers a galore of open-source libraries
- Provides automatic garbage collection and memory allocation
- Follows the system of stack allocation
- Allows a great deal of platform independence with the help of JVM
- Extremely secure because of the implementation of a security manager that is used to define class access
- Supports distributed computing and multithreading
- Provides a myriad of APIs to accomplish various necessary tasks such as networking, XML parsing, utilities, and database connection
Cons of Java:
- Lack of the availability of templates limits the development of data structures of high quality.
- Memory management is expensive.
- Java is slow as compared to other languages like C and C++.
Use Cases of Java:
- Big Data applications
- Development of Android apps
- Web Development
- Development of enterprise apps
Even today, Java is among the most disruptive programming languages available. JVM helps abstract the OS, and it came up with the first ‘write once, run anywhere’ language. Also, JVM’s garbage collection manages the life cycle of an object in Java.
To meet the current market requirements, Java is trying to make itself available on the cloud through the GraalVM initiative so that it can easily be accessed and used. This programming language still ranks on the top for organizational use.
The average base pay of Java Developers is approximately US$79,137 per year, with an estimated increase of US$117,000 for experienced professionals.
To become a developer in Java, enroll in Intellipaat’s Java Training, wherein you will learn Java from scratch.
C# is a Microsoft-developed OOP language created on the foundations of a widely-used programming language, C. Originally, it was designed as a part of the .NET framework to develop Windows applications. C# is a general-purpose language used in backend Web Development, creating games via Unity, developing mobile applications, and so on. It is not only used in the Windows platform but you can also use it in Android, iOS, and Linux platforms. It is among the best programming languages for Web Development.
Significant features of C#:
- In terms of developer experience, Java lacks behind C#.
- C# has a legion of frameworks and libraries since it has been in the IT field for over 20 years.
- Just like Java, even C# is independent of platforms due to the Common Language Runtime (CLR).
Pros of C#:
- Capable of working with shared codebases
- Safer compared to C and C++
- Component and object-oriented language
- Uses a syntax similar to C++ and other languages, derived from C
- Ideal language for any type of Web Development
- Integrated completely with the .NET library
- Consists of rich sets of data types and library functions
- Faster compilation and execution process
Cons of C#:
- Less flexible than C++
- Requires time and effort to learn
- Need to have good knowledge and expertise to resolve errors
- Allows pointers in its ‘unsafe’ blocks
Use cases of C#:
- Development of games
- App development
- Server-side programming
- Windows platform software
- Web Development
The average salary of C# professionals is over US$76,526 per annum. For the experienced ones, it might rise to US$107,000 per annum.
Want to learn more about Web Development? Read our comprehensive guide on Web Development Tutorial now!
Top 4 Frontend Web Development Languages
- With the help of Node.js, it provides event-driven programming that is extremely suitable for head I/O processes.
- It runs on almost every platform such as mobile devices and servers.
- Fast and runs immediately in browsers without any need for compilation
- Offers better and enriched website interface
- Highly versatile and provides data validation functionality
- Provides regular updates through the ECMA specification
- Uses a variety of add-ons like Greasemonkey to extend its functionality
- Numerous available resources and gigantic community support
- Helps develop a diverse and wide range of applications
- Easily gets integrated and implemented with other languages
- It does not contain any alternate or equivalent method.
- It does not allow multiple inheritance.
- Its execution may get exploited for reasons like malicious intent.
- Different browsers may interpret the code differently.
- Mobile app development
- Development of browser games
- Backend development
- Serverless computing
- Web Development
Significant features of React:
- Its Virtual Document Object Model (DOM) permits you to develop quick and scalable applications.
- Its one-way data binding does not allow professionals to make any direct changes in the properties of React components and offers a stable code.
- React builds an interactive UI for both mobile and web apps.
Pros of React:
- Helps in boosting productivity and facilitates its maintenance
- Guarantees faster rendering and ensures stable coding
- SEO-friendly and easy to learn
- Offers a range of helpful tools for development
- Supported by an extremely strong community
- Saves a lot of time by reusing its components
- Consists of an open-source library that develops constantly
Cons of React:
- Poor documentation
- Additional hassle due to SEO
Use cases of React:
- Complex websites
- Sites with high user interactions
- Dynamic Web Development
Become a ReactJS developer by signing up for Intellipaat’s React JS course!
Angular is an improved and updated version of the earlier AngularJS framework built by Google. In comparison to React, it is more difficult to learn. However, it offers more practical solutions for the frontend. Angular also allows you to develop complicated and highly scalable applications with great functionality, business logic, and attractive visual designs. Additionally, there are various distinct ready-made instruments and extensions such as Snippets, Angular command-line interface (CLI), etc. that simplify the work of developers.
Significant features of Angular:
- Its Model-View-Control (MVC) architecture allows dynamic modeling.
- It makes use of the HTML programming language to develop UIs, making them easy and simple to understand
- Angular offers better functionality with HTML using directives.
- Angular Filters help in filtering data before reaching the view.
- In Angular, you can use templates that make it easier to build the required framework quicker.
Pros of Angular:
- Follows two-way data binding
- Provides improved performance of the server
- Ensures that developers can build websites with minimum coding
- Allows them to develop hybrid and high-quality apps
- Offers quicker application prototyping and more responsive and interactive web applications
- Allows developers to enhance the testing ability so that data decoupling can see the HTML code and DOM
Cons of Angular:
- Since the apps developed using AngularJS are dynamic, they lack performance.
- Complex pages in the apps may show glitches during the performance.
- You need to invest time and learn this language completely before building a web page, or else you might require professional help.
- With little or no experience in MVC, it may take a lot of time and effort to develop a web page.
- It is extremely difficult to learn.
Use cases of Angular:
- Dynamic apps
- Progressive web applications
- Enterprise web applications
Become a certified AngularJS developer by signing up for Intellipaat’s Angular certification course!
VueJS is a simple, clear, open-source, and easy-to-use frontend development language that allows developers to design well-structured and engaging web pages and applications. It is designed to simplify and also organize the development of several web elements, making it extremely adaptable. Besides, it provides quick and reliable solutions for both small and medium-sized enterprises because of its cost-effectiveness and quality, along with its popularity among developers.
Significant features of Vue JS:
- It uses Virtual DOM to make necessary changes.
- Its data binding feature allows developers to assign or manipulate HTML attributes’ values, assign classes, and change style.
- The components of VueJS help in creating customized elements that are reusable.
- Its built-in component for transition offers multiple methods to implement transition in HTML elements after they are edited in DOM.
- This framework offers numerous HTML-based templates, binding the instance data of Vue with DOM.
Pros of VueJS:
- It does not take up too much space in the system due to its small size of 18 KB.
- Vue consists of detailed and extremely extensive documentation, making it easy and quick to learn.
- It allows developers to reuse any code easily.
- VueJS makes it easier to perform data binding between JS and HTML codes.
Cons of Vue JS:
- In the case of big projects, its flexibility might not come in handy.
Use cases of Vue JS:
- Interactive web applications
- Scalable web apps
Looking to crack your Web Development Interview? Read our comprehensive blog on Web Developer Interview Questions now!
This blog must have helped you gain basic knowledge and insights into the Web Development languages list. So, to be a successful Web Developer in any of these languages, first, you need to learn the language you choose thoroughly and then acquire the necessary skills in it. Moreover, you must also gain some experience in the language to give your career a boost. Start a career in web development by learning trending languages from our Web Development courses.