This blog post aims to explain what an MBA in digital marketing is. If you’re not familiar with the concept, don’t worry. By the end of this blog, you’ll have a clear understanding. We’ll also explore the factors one should weigh when opting for an MBA in digital marketing. Lastly, we’ll touch upon various promising job roles and their corresponding salaries in India, providing you with insights into the course and its potential outcomes.
Table of Contents:
Learn How to Choose MBA Specialization through this video
What is an MBA in Digital Marketing?
An MBA in Digital Marketing is a two-year master’s degree program that combines traditional business education with specialized training in digital channels, preparing students to meet the rising market demand for digital marketing talent. As consumers shift rapidly to online platforms, digital marketing skills like search engine optimization, social media management, data analytics, and digital campaign strategy development have become much wanted in nearly every industry.
An MBA in Digital Marketing addresses this need for digital marketing leaders and strategists, teaching students how to drive brand growth online. The degree gives graduates fluency in digital tools and platforms while strengthening their business acumen, positioning them for leadership roles driving digital transformation initiatives at companies.
To learn more about general management, check out Intellipaat’s General Management course.
Why Pursue an MBA in Digital Marketing?
An MBA in Digital Marketing will give you the education and skills you need to succeed in today’s marketing world, which will help you attain a comprehensive grasp of marketing strategies, and position yourself favorably for success in today’s competitive job market.
Let’s look into some reasons why pursuing an MBA in digital marketing could be a great choice:
- Salary Potential: An MBA in Digital Marketing often leads to higher salaries. In India, digital marketing managers earn a median of ₹8,53,718 a year, with senior roles offering even more.
- Leadership Development: An MBA in Digital Marketing develops leadership by refining strategic decision-making skills, enabling individuals to adeptly lead teams in the dynamic digital domain.
- Career Opportunities: An MBA in Digital Marketing unlocks diverse career paths in industries like technology, e-commerce, healthcare, and more. Specialize in areas like SEM, social media, content, SEO, PPC, email marketing, and data analytics to align with your strengths and interests.
- Personal and Professional Growth: An MBA specializing in Digital Marketing cultivates personal development by strengthening communication, problem-solving, and strategic thinking. These enhanced abilities are applicable across different aspects of both personal and professional life.
- Global Opportunities: An MBA specializing in Digital Marketing provides expertise in cross-cultural marketing, allowing you to grasp diverse global markets while building a worldwide network crucial for international career growth.
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
Syllabus of an MBA in Digital Marketing
Let’s break down the syllabus you’d typically cover each semester while pursuing an MBA in Digital Marketing:
First-Year of MBA in Digital Marketing
The first year of an MBA in Digital Marketing aims to provide students with a comprehensive foundation in the principles and practices of digital marketing. Participants will learn about various channels and technologies employed in this domain, acquiring skills in formulating and executing impactful digital marketing strategies. They will also gain an understanding of the legal and ethical issues that arise in digital marketing.
|Focuses on effective communication within an organization, covering written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
|Basics of Marketing Management
|Covers the fundamental principles of marketing, including market analysis, strategy, and consumer behavior.
|Combines economic theories with managerial practice, focusing on decision-making and resource allocation.
|Studies human behavior within organizations, addressing motivation, leadership, team dynamics, and culture.
|Fundamentals of Business Law and Ethics
|Explores legal frameworks and ethical considerations in business, covering contracts, liability, and more.
|Quantitative Techniques for Managers
|Teaches statistical and mathematical tools for managerial decision-making, such as data analysis and models.
|Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
|Introduces digital marketing strategies, including SEO, social media, content marketing, and analytics.
|Product and Brand Management
|Focuses on creating, developing, and managing products and brand strategies.
|Consumer Buying Behaviour
|Studies the decision-making process of consumers when purchasing goods or services.
|Types of Integrated Marketing Channels
|Explores various channels (online, offline, social media, etc.) for marketing efforts.
|Deals with managing finances, including budgeting, investment, and financial planning.
|Business Research Methods
|Covers methods for gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data in a business context.
|Communication and Leadership Development
|Enhances communication skills and promotes leadership qualities in professional settings.
|Content Management System-Lab
|Practical application and understanding of content management systems for businesses.
Second-Year MBA in Digital Marketing
By the second year of an MBA in Digital Marketing, students should have gained a comprehensive understanding of the digital marketing domain and be able to apply their skills to real-world scenarios. They’ll be encouraged to specialize in a specific digital marketing field, like SEO, social media marketing, or content marketing. Alongside core classes, students can select electives that match their career aspirations.
In the second year of pursuing an MBA in Digital Marketing, various elective options are accessible, including:
- Geopolitics & World Economic Systems
- Entrepreneurship Development
- Content Marketing
- Understanding Neuromarketing
- Data Visualization
- International Business Economics
- Demand Analysis & Forecasting
|Involves creating, managing, and growing businesses in the digital space. Focuses on innovative use of technology and digital platforms for entrepreneurial ventures.
|Search Engine Marketing & SEO
|Search Engine Marketing (SEM) involves paid advertising to increase visibility on search engine results, while Search Engine Optimization (SEO) focuses on optimizing content for organic search results. Both are crucial for online visibility.
|Utilizes technology to automate marketing processes, such as email campaigns, social media posts, and customer segmentation.
|Types of Digital Marketing
|Encompasses various digital channels and strategies, including content marketing, social media marketing, email marketing, influencer marketing, and more.
|Typically, it refers to optional courses that allow students to specialize in specific areas of interest within the broader field of digital marketing and entrepreneurship.
|Service and Strategic Management
|Focuses on importance of strategic management by managing services effectively, strategizing for service industries, and understanding customer-centric approaches.
|Affiliate Marketing and Google AdSense
|Explores affiliate marketing strategies and utilizes Google AdSense for monetization through online advertising.
|Covers various aspects of sales management, including sales strategies, team management, and customer relationship management.
|Understanding LinkedIn and Twitter Marketing
|Provides insights into leveraging LinkedIn and Twitter for marketing purposes, including audience engagement and branding.
|Typically, a subject of choice related to the broader field of study, allowing specialization or exploration of specific topics.
|Involves practical application of knowledge gained, often through a project related to the field of study or specialization.
Do check out our Executive Post-Graduate Certification in General Management for a detailed understanding of General Management
Eligibility for a Digital Marketing MBA
While the specific eligibility criteria for MBA programs specializing in Digital Marketing can vary depending on the institution and the program specializations within the field, certain common requirements that are frequently observed are given below:
- Educational Background: A bachelor’s degree in any field of study is required. Common backgrounds include marketing, communications, business, information technology, engineering, journalism, media studies, etc. Typically, a minimum percentage requirement, like 50% or 60%, is expected for admission.
- Work Experience (Optional): Some institutions may also consider your work experience of 1 or 2 years in the relevant field, such as marketing, sales, or communications. This could be beneficial, particularly if you have a strong command of digital marketing principles and methodologies.
- Entrance Exams: The criteria for entrance exams can vary from one institution to another. However, most institutions typically require a good score in a recognized management entrance exam like the CAT, GMAT, XAT, or NMAT.
- Additional Information: Some programs require recommendation letters from instructors, supervisors, or professionals in the field to evaluate applicants’ suitability for the program.
Top Private & Government Universities for MBA in Digital Marketing
Now that we’ve covered the syllabus and eligibility criteria, let’s explore some leading private and government universities offering MBA programs in digital marketing.
Here’s the information in table format:
|Average Fees per Semester (INR)
|Average Package (INR)
|Top Recruiting Companies
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad
|HUL, P&G, ITC, Nestle, Coca-Cola
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bangalore
|Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Bank of America, Citigroup
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Calcutta
|McKinsey & Company, BCG, Bain & Company, Deloitte, KPMG
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Lucknow
|Tata Consultancy Services, Infosys, Wipro, HCL Technologies, Accenture
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management (SIBM), Pune
|Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Flipkart, Myntra
|SP Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR), Mumbai
|Deloitte, McKinsey & Company, BCG, Bain & Company, KPMG
|HUL, ITC, P&G, Godrej, Amazon, Accenture, Deloitte, KPMG, EY,PwC, Wipro, Infosys, TCS, HCL, Cognizant, IBM, HP,DELL
Scope of an MBA in Digital Marketing
The scope of an MBA in Digital Marketing is vast and continuously changing, reflecting the dynamic nature of the digital domain. As businesses increasingly rely on digital channels to reach and engage their target audiences, the demand for skilled digital marketing professionals continues to grow.
- The field of digital marketing is experiencing explosive growth, with digital advertising alone expected to surpass $526 billion by 2026, driven by a 20% annual growth rate.
- As consumers increasingly engage with social platforms, user-generated content, and messaging apps, MBA-level social media strategists play a pivotal role in driving brand resonance and sales growth.
- Global e-commerce expansion, projected to expand at a CAGR of 15%, further fuels the demand for experts in customer experience optimization, web analytics, and conversion rate optimization.
MBA in Digital Marketing: Job Roles and Salary
Let’s explore different job roles and their average salaries in India:
|Salary Package in India (INR)
|Digital Marketing Manager
|Content Marketing Manager
|Social Media Manager
|Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Specialist
|Email Marketing Specialist
|Performance Marketing Manager
Have doubts? Reach out to us at our Intellipaat community page!
Can I get a job after MBA in Digital Marketing?
Yes, completing an MBA in Digital Marketing significantly increases your prospects of securing a job. The field of digital marketing is experiencing high demand for skilled professionals, and this trend is anticipated to persist in the future. This degree equips you with the essential skills and knowledge vital for success in this competitive domain.
Can I get a good salary in Digital Marketing?
Digital marketers have the potential to earn a decent income. In India, the average annual salary for a digital marketer is approximately ₹6,00,000. However, earnings may differ based on your experience, abilities, and where you work.
Is MBA in digital business worth it?
An MBA in Digital Marketing can be a worthwhile investment if you are interested in a career in this field. The program can provide you with vital skills and insights, potentially unlocking diverse job prospects. However, it is important to consider your own career goals and financial situation before deciding whether or not an MBA is right for you.
What is the salary after an MBA in digital marketing?
The average salary after MBA in digital marketing is around ₹8,00,000 per year.
Which is the best course, an MBA in marketing or digital marketing?
The best course of action for you depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in a general marketing career, then an MBA in marketing may be the best choice for you. However, if you are specifically interested in a career in digital marketing, then an MBA in digital marketing may be a better option.