Salesforce objects are database tables that permit you to store the data specific to an organization.
Salesforce objects are of two types:
- Standard Objects: Standard objects are the kind of objects that are provided by salesforce.com, such as users, contracts, reports, dashboards, etc.
- Custom Objects: Custom objects are those that are created by users. It supplies information that is unique and essential to their organization. It is the heart of any application. It provides a structure for sharing data.
Properties of custom objects:
- Custom fields
- Relationship to another object
- Page layouts
- A custom user interface tab
Go through the Salesforce tutorial to learn more about various Components of Salesforce.
Creating a Salesforce Custom Object
- First, follow this path: Setup > Build > Create > Objects > on the screen, click on the new custom object button > enter label name, plural label, and object name > enter record name as a data type
- To create a record name, first, consider the two data types:
You also have some optional features while creating objects:
- Allow reports: If you tick off this checkbox, then only these objects will be available to make reports.
- Allow activities: If you tick off this checkbox, then you are able to make activities on this object.
- Track field history: When you tick off this checkbox, then you can merely track fields. You can track up to 20 fields for a single object.
Now, you have the following deployment modes:
- In development: If you opt for this, then this object will remain in the development mode. It will not be present for deployment.
- Deployed: When you opt for this, the object will be available for deployment.
The following options are available only when you are creating a custom object for the first time:
- Add notes and attachments related list
- Launch a new custom tab wizard after saving this custom object
After completing all these settings, press the Save button.
If you do not select ‘Launch new custom tab wizard’ from the object creation page, then the object would be saved without the tab appearance. In such a case, first, you need to make a tab for this object. On the other hand, if you select this option, the object would be saved, along with a tab would be created, which will be visible to you.
Sign up for this professional Salesforce Training Course and enrich your career!
A tab is like a user interface that is used to build records for objects and to view the records in the objects. There are three types of tabs in Salesforce:
- Custom object tab
- Web tab
- Visualforce tab
Now to create a custom tab, follow this path
- Go to Setup > Build > Create > Tab > now, click on New tab and then enter the details to complete the tab creation process.
In this tutorial, you learned about Salesforce objects and how to create them. In the next, you will learn how to create custom fields.
Do you want to know what Salesforce is doing right that SAP is not?
To learn in-depth about Workflow in Salesforce, sign up for an industry based Salesforce Certification.