What Is Workbench Salesforce?
In this section, we are going to learn about this amazing tool called Workbench Salesforce. It is basically a web-based tool designed for Salesforce experts, administrators, and developers which allows them to interact with Salesforce organization or Force APIs to update, delete, insert, and export data.
Here are the topics which we are going to discuss in this section:
- How to Use Workbench Salesforce?
- Advantages of Workbench Salesforce
- Do Things in an Easier Way with Workbench
Salesforce Workbench is a highly adaptable and cloud-hosted toolkit provided to the Salesforce developers and administrators to administer Salesforce organization using Force APIs. Using the Salesforce workbench tool, they can easily perform Salesforce Object Query Language (SOQL) and Salesforce Object Search Language (SOSL), view their organization’s data, perform data loading and testing, deployment and troubleshooting of their applications, and modify session settings.
Get ready for the high-paying Salesforce jobs with these Top Interview Questions and Answers!
How to Use Workbench in Salesforce?
In order to access Workbench Salesforce, you need to use the URL:
Now, follow these steps to access your account:
Step 1: Login to Salesforce Workbox with the account credentials given by salesforce.com and select the desired environment and API versions. Tick the terms and conditions checkbox and hit the button Login with Salesforce
Step 2: After logging in, you would see a Jump to menu wherein you can switch between different option as given below:
- Apex Class
- Apex Page
- SOSL Query
- SOQL Query
Choose the desired task you wish to perform from the list
Step 3 (A): On the top menu bar, you would see five drop-down items.
Let’s select info first. There are three sections in this.
Standard & Custom Objects: You can choose an object and the related information regarding the object will be displayed on the screen
- Metadata Types & Components: In this, you can choose any Metadata Components like:
- Apex Class
- Apex Page
All the related information will be displayed on the screen
- Session Information: This section will display the current user session details. If you are a system administrator, you can end or cancel any other sessions present in Salesforce Workbench. Also, details such as the connection and accessibility mode, session seconds valid, profile ID, user information, like email, role ID, full name, etc. of the current user will be displayed by selecting the session information tab.
Step 3 (B): Let’s now go back to Step 2 and select Queries
We’ll now discuss the Query section in detail. There are two queries:
- SOSL Query
- SOQL Query
In this section, you can select various objects and fields and apply a condition to build a SOQL query. You can view the records as a list or in a matrix form. Later, you can download it in a CSV format.
SOSL queries can also be written in a similar way.
Step 3 (C): Let’s explore the data option now
Using this option, you can select a particular object and perform the following operations:
You can also upload records from ZIP or CSV files. You can see the records by simply clicking on View present in the Salesforce button. This will redirect you into your org.
Step 3 (D): Now, let’s explore migration
Using this, the package can be retrieved. We can use package.xml and directly deploy it in the Salesforce organization.
Step 3 (E): Let’s now move to utilities. This menu has a list containing:
- REST Explorer
- Apex Execute
- Password Management
Let’s talk about them one by one.
REST Explorer: Using this option, you can choose the HTTP method to perform the Rest API service.
Apex Execute: You can create, delete, and update a record using Apex execute. New objects can be created from SOQL queries. All the newly created objects containing null values for the fields need to be set once the creation is complete.
Password Management: Passwords can be set and reset by the Salesforce org using the Password Management method.
If you have any doubts or queries related to Salesforce, get them clarified from the Salesforce experts on our Salesforce Community!
Advantages of Workbench Salesforce:
- Salesforce Workbench can allow you to edit records by just clicking on the unique ID provided in the query.
- It also allows you to upload a zip file where you can insert, upsert, update, or delete binary files. To make this process work, you need to prepare a zip file where all the binary files are present.
- You can use the Smart Lookup tool when you’re inserting, updating, or deleting which will provide you with foreign or standard ID lookup fields to find the relevant Salesforce ID.
Easy Data Extraction: Removing the information which has been identified with the users, such as roles, profiles, and the permission sets, is very simple.
Become a master of Salesforce by going through this online Salesforce Course in Toronto!
Do Things in an Easier Way with Workbench Salesforce
By now, you would have understood various aspects of Workbench. I hope the log was useful for you. With the Salesforce ecosystem, you can do anything you want in a simpler way, and you will always be able to work through it easily.
In this session, we learned about Salesforce Workbench. In the next session of this tutorial, we will be learning about Batch Apex.
If you want to learn how to create a customized and secure Salesforce environment? Enroll in Intellipaat’s Salesforce Training now!