Today, we are going to list the top data science tools required to have a successful career. Let us take a look at the topics discussed in this blog.
Introduction to Data Science
Data science is the process of drawing useful insights from raw data using a combination of different components such as domain expertise, knowledge of maths and statistics, programming skills, and machine learning models. The insights are later translated by business users and key decision-makers into tangible business value.
Data science has turned out to be one of the most popular tech fields in the 21st century. This is because almost every industry, including healthcare, travel, automobile, defense, and manufacturing, has applications associated with data science. These wide applications and increased demand for maximizing business value have led to the development of various data science tools.
Wondering about how to learn Data Science? Check out this full Data Science course for beginners:
Top Data Science Tools
Data science tools are used for diving into raw and complicated data (unstructured or structured data) and processing, extracting, and analyzing it to dig out valuable insights by applying different data processing techniques such as statistics, computer science, predictive modeling and analysis, and deep learning.
To deal with zettabytes and yottabytes of structured and/or unstructured data every day and to find valuable insights from it, data scientists use a wide range of tools at different phases of the data science life cycle. The significant feature of these tools is that they eliminate the need for sophisticated programming languages to implement data science procedures. This is because these tools contain some predefined algorithms, functions, and user-friendly graphical user interfaces (GUIs).
There are an ample number of data science tools in the industry. Hence, picking one for your journey and career can be a tricky decision. To make a decision on which tools to pick and learn for your career, check out the below-listed most in-demand tools in data science. You can master the Data Science Tools through our best Data Science courses in Bangalore and be an expert.
Excited about Data Science? Check out the Data Science Training that comes with 24/7 support and kick-start your career in the field of Data Science.
Statistical Analysis System (SAS)
SAS is a statistical and complex analytics tool developed by the SAS Institute. It is one of the oldest data analysis tools mainly built to deal with statistical operations. SAS is commonly used by professionals and organizations that heavily rely on advanced analytics and complex statistical operations. This reliable commercial software provides various statistical libraries and tools that can be used for modeling and organizing the given data.
The following are the key features and usage of these data science tools:
- Easy to learn as it comes with ample tutorials and dedicated technical support
- Simple GUI that produces powerful reports
- Carries out the analysis of textual content even with typo identification
- Provides a well-managed suite of tools dealing with areas such as data mining, clinical trial analysis, statistical analysis, business intelligence applications, econometrics, and time-series analysis
Kickstart your career by enrolling in Data Analytics Courses in Bangalore.
Apache Hadoop is an open-source framework that helps in distributed processing and computing of large datasets over a cluster of thousands of computers, i.e., it can store and manage a large amount of data. It is an ideal tool to deal with large data processing and high-level computations.
The following are some important features and usage of Hadoop:
- Efficiently scales large amounts of data on thousands of Hadoop clusters
- Uses Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) for data storage and to achieve parallel computing
- Provides fault tolerance and high availability even in unfavorable conditions
- Provides integrated functionality with other data processing modules such as Hadoop YARN, Hadoop MapReduce, and many others
Aspiring to become a data scientist? Enroll in this Data Science course in Manila offered by Intellipaat.
Tableau is referred to as a data visualization software that comes with powerful graphics to create interactive visualizations. It is majorly used by industries working in the field of business intelligence and analytics.
The most significant feature of Tableau is its ability to interact with different spreadsheets, databases, online analytical processing (OLAP) cubes, etc. Apart from these features, Tableau can also visualize geographical data by plotting longitudes and latitudes on maps.
The following are the main features of Tableau:
- Allows to connect with and extract data from multiple data sources and has the ability to visualize large datasets to find patterns and correlations
- The desktop feature helps create customized reports and dashboards to get real-time insights and updates
- The cross-database join functionality allows to make calculated fields and join tables for solving complex data problems
Master essential Data Science tools by enrolling in this Data Science course in Kottayam!
TensorFlow is a powerful library that revolves around artificial intelligence, deep learning, and machine learning algorithms and helps in creating and training models and deploying them on various platforms, such as smartphones, computers, and servers, to achieve the functionalities assigned to respective models.
TensorFlow is considered to be one of the most flexible, fast, scalable, and open-source machine learning libraries, which is used extensively in the field of production and research. Data scientists prefer TensorFlow as it uses data flow graphs for numerical computations.
The following are important points to note about TensorFlow:
- Provides the architecture for deploying computation on diverse types of platforms, which include servers, CPUs, and GPUs
- Offers powerful tools to operate with data by filtering and manipulating it for performing data-driven numerical computations
- Flexible in conducting machine learning and deep neural network processes
Become an expert in Data Scientist. Enroll now in PG program in Data Science and Machine Learning from MITxMicroMasters
BigML is a scalable machine learning platform that allows users to leverage and automate techniques such as classification, regression, cluster analysis, time series, anomaly detection, forecasting, and other prominent machine learning methods in a single framework. BigML provides a fully interchangeable, cloud-based GUI environment that aims at reducing platform dependencies for processing machine learning algorithms. It also offers customized software for using cloud computing for organizational needs and requirements.
The following are the major features and usages of BigML:
- Helps in processing machine learning algorithms
- Builds and visualizes machine learning models with ease
- Deploys methods such as regression (linear regression, trees, etc.), classification, and time-series forecasting for supervised learning
- Uses cluster analysis, association discovery, anomaly detection, etc., for unsupervised learning
Knime’s ability to extract and transform data makes it one of the most essential and widely used tools in Data Science for data reporting, data mining, and data analysis. Knime is an open-source platform and free to use in various parts of the world.
The following are the key features and usages of Knime:
- Uses a data pipelining concept, called the Lego of Analytics, for the integration of various data science components
- Easy-to-use GUI that helps perform data science tasks with minimum programming expertise
- Visual data pipelines can be used to create interactive views for the given dataset
To get your master’s degree in Data Science with job assistance. Enroll in the MSc Data Science in Europe!
RapidMiner is a software that provides an integrated data science platform used for data preprocessing and preparation, machine learning, deep learning, and predictive modeling deployment.
In data science, RapidMiner provides tools that allow you to design and modify your model from its initial phase until its deployment.
The following are the characteristics of RapidMiner:
- Uses the computational power of free studio and enterprise server resources for efficient model development
- Allows integration with Hadoop with the built-in RapidMiner Radoop
- Automated modeling helps generate predictive models
- Provides the feature of remote execution for analysis processes
Want to master the core concepts of Data Science and AI? Check out our PG Diploma in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence and become an expert!
Excel refers to the powerful analytical tool used extensively in the field of data science as it helps build powerful data visualizations and spreadsheets that are ideal for robust data analysis. Excel comes with numerous formulae, tables, filters, slicers, etc., and apart from all those functionalities, it also allows users to create their own custom formulae and functions. It can also be connected with SQL and further used for data analysis and data manipulation. Data scientists use Excel for data cleaning purposes as well due to its interactable GUI environment that helps in pre-processing data with ease.
The following are the key features of Excel:
- Good for cleaning and analyzing 2D (rows and column) data
- Easy for beginners
- Helps sort and filter data with a single click to quickly and easily explore datasets
- Offers pivot tables to summarize data and operate functions, such as sum, count, and other metrics, in a tabular format
- Extracted visualizations help present a variety of creative solutions
Also Check our blog on Data Science Command Line Tools to quickly analyze the data.
Apache is known for providing tools and techniques in data science that speed up the analysis process. Flink is one of the best tools in Data Science offered by the Apache Software Foundation. Apache Flink is an open-source distributed framework that can perform scalable data science computations and quick real-time data analysis.
The following are the key features and usages of Apache Flink:
- Offers both parallel and pipeline execution of data flow diagrams at low latency
- Processes unbounded data streams that do not have a fixed start and endpoint
- Helps reduce the complexity during real-time data processing
Master the core concepts of Statistics for Data Science through this Statistics for Data Science Training and become an expert
Power BI is one of the essential tools of data science integrated with business intelligence. Rich and insightful reports can be generated from a given dataset by using Power BI.
The following are the key features and usages of Power BI:
- It can be combined with other data science tools from Microsoft for data visualization
- It can help to create data analytics dashboards
- It can transform the incoherent datasets into coherent datasets
- It can develop logically consistent datasets and generate rich insights
- It facilitates making eye-catching visual reports that can be understood by nontechnical professionals as well
Data scientists also play a vital role in the digital marketing sector. Google Analytics is one of the top data science tools used in the industry for digital marketing.
The following are the key features and usages of Google Analytics:
- Helps web admins access, analyze, and visualize data to gain a better understanding of user interaction with websites
- Helps in making better marketing decisions by recognizing and using the data trail left behind by users on a website
- With the help of its easy-to-use interface and high-end analytics, Google Analytics can also be used by nontechnical professionals to perform data analytics.
Enroll now in Intellipaat’s Data Analytics Certification Courses to boost your skills.
Python is one of the most dominant languages in the field of data science today because of its flexibility, ease of use in terms of syntax, open-source nature, and ability to handle, clean, manipulate, visualize, and analyze data. Python was essentially developed as a programming language. However, it offers a wide range of libraries, such as TensorFlow, Seaborn, etc., that are attractive for both programmers and data scientists alike. Moreover, there are various other tools connected to and built with the help of Python, such as Dask, SciPy, Cython, Matplotlib, and HPAT.
The following are the key features and usages of Python:
- Used for data cleaning, data manipulation, data visualization, and data analysis
- Provides a wide range of libraries such as pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, and many more
- Helps establish a connection with various other tools such as Cython and Desk.
- Preferred by data scientists, beginners, and experienced professionals
R is a powerful and respected programming language in the world of data science. R is extensively used for statistical computing and graphics. It provides numerous packages and libraries that support different phases of the data science life cycle. Apart from all of its functionalities, R has an incredibly large and supportive community as well, where you can find an answer to any question or query that you may encounter while working with R.
To use this magical language and play around with it, you need RStudio. It is open-source software that helps you handle, clean, and manipulate data, and then analyze the same. RStudio provides a user-friendly interface for using R effectively.
The following are the key features and usages of R:
- Provides a large and coherent collection of tools for data analysis
- Offers effective data handling and storage facilities
- Perfect for statistical computing, design, and analyses
- Provides graphical functionalities for data analysis and displaying the output either on a computer screen or on paper
DataRobot is an AI-driven development and automation platform that helps in building accurate and automotive predictive models. DataRobot assists in the easy implementation of a wide range of machine learning algorithms, including regression, classification, and clustering models.
The following are the key features and usages of DataRobot:
- Provides parallel programming by directing thousands of servers to perform multitasking on data analysis, data validation, data modeling, and so on
- Offers lightning-fast speed when it comes to building, training, and testing machine learning models
- Helps in scaling up the entire machine learning process
Are you preparing for a Data Science job? Go through these top Data Science Interview Questions now!
The following are some of the important features of D3.js:
- Emphasizes the usage of web standards to utilize the full potential of modern browsers
- Merges powerful visualization modules and a data-driven process into document object model (DOM) manipulation
- Helps to apply data-driven transformations to documents after binding data to DOM
Azure HDInsight is a full-fledged cloud platform created by Microsoft to aid processes such as data processing, data storage, and data analytics. Big enterprises, including Jet, Adobe, Milliman, etc., use this tool to store, process, manage and extract valuable insights from a large amount of data.
The following are the features and usages of Microsoft HDInsight:
- Provides support for integrating with different tools, such as Apache Spark and Apache Hadoop, for data processing
- Uses Windows Azure Blob as the default storage system to effectively manage sensitive data across thousands of nodes
- Provides Microsoft R Server as a function that supports R for performing statistical analysis and helps in creating robust machine learning models
Jupyter is an open-source data science tools that are predominantly used for coding Python programs but also supports other languages such as Julia, R, and Fortran. Jupyter works as a computational notebook that consists of different components including code, visualizations, equations, and text.
One of the most prominent features of Jupyter is that you can easily share your code files or your work with your peers in the form of an executable notebook and have interactive output in the form of mind-blowing plots, images, etc. You can easily integrate this tool with other tools, such as Apache Spark, that are used extensively in the process of data analysis.
The following are the important characteristics of Jupyter:
- Supports more than 40 programming languages
- Offers a user-friendly interface for executing code files
- Provides interactive features with the help of computational kernels
- Establishes connections with other data-driven solutions such as Apache Spark
Matplotlib is a visualization and plotting library developed for Python. Matplotlib is one of the most powerful tools for generating interactive graphs with analyzed data. It is mainly used for plotting much-needed and complex graphs by using simple Python code. By working with these Data Science tools, you can create different types of graphs, such as histograms, bar plots, scatter plots, etc., by using pyplot, which is considered an essential module of Matplotlib.
Check out our blog on Data Science Tutorial to learn more about Data Science.
The following are the major features and usages of Matplotlib:
- Builds diverse plots, histograms, power spectra, bar charts, scatterplots, error charts, and more with simple lines of code
- Helps create compelling visualizations
- Provides certain formatting function line styles, axes properties, font properties, etc., which can be used to increase the readability of plots
- Offers several export options to extract the plot or visualization and put it on the platform of your choice
Matrix Laboratory (MATLAB) is a multi-paradigm programming language that helps in providing a numerical computing environment for processing mathematical expressions. The most significant feature of this language is that it helps users with algorithmic implementation, matrix functions, and statistical modeling of data; it is extensively used in different scientific disciplines.
MATLAB is used in the field of data science for simulating fuzzy logic and neural networks and for creating powerful visualizations.
The following are the usages of MATLAB:
- Helps develop algorithms and models
- Merges the desktop environment with a programming language for iterative analysis and design processes
- Provides an interface consisting of interactive apps to test how different algorithms work when applied to the data at hand
- Helps automate and reproduce work by automatically generating a MATLAB program
- Scales up the process of analysis to run on clusters, cloud, or GPUs
QlikView is a leading business intelligence and analytics tool used for conversational analytics, data integration, and converting raw data into informative insights. It facilitates in-memory data processing and helps store the processed data in self-created reports.
QlikView is also considered one of the most powerful data science tools for visually analyzing data to derive useful business insights. It is used by more than 24,000 organizations globally.
The following are the features and usages of QlikView:
- Provides tools to create powerful dashboards and detailed reports
- Offers in-memory data processing for the efficient and fast creation of reports for end-users.
- Generates and automates the associations and relations in data by using the data association feature
- Helps to maximize the performance of enterprises, big or small, with the help of features such as collaboration and sharing, data security provisions, integrated framework, and guided analytics for the efficient working of an organization
if you want to know more about 10 Data Scientist Skills You Must Have in 2023 to extract and manage data.
In today’s data-driven world, data plays a crucial role in the survival of any organization in this competitive era. By utilizing data, data scientists provide impactful insights to the key decision-makers of organizations. This is almost impossible to imagine without the use of the above-listed powerful data science tools.
It provides a way for analyzing data, creating interactive visualizations with aesthetics, and developing powerful and automated predictive models using machine learning algorithms, which ease the process of extracting and delivering valuable insights from raw and seemingly useless data.
After going through the entire blog, you might have understood that one of the most prominent features of all these tools is that they provide a user-friendly interface with built-in functions for conducting computing on data, increasing efficiency, and reducing the amount of code needed to extract value from the given data resources for fulfilling the needs of end-users. Therefore, selecting one tool from among many should depend on the specific requirements of different use cases.
If you have any queries related to Data Science, you can post them on our Data Science Community, and our team of experts will resolve them for you!