Introduction to Python
Python is a high-level, general-purpose programming language with an elegant syntax that allows programmers to focus more on problem-solving than on syntax errors. One of the primary goals of Python Developers is to keep it fun to use. Python has become a big buzz in the field of modern software development, infrastructure management, and especially in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. Most recently, Python has risen to the top 3 list of TIOBE index of language popularity.
Python is becoming increasingly ubiquitous, but you must be wondering why Python has become such a hot topic in the developers’ world. In this tutorial, you will understand all the reasons behind Python’s popularity.
Go for this in-depth job-oriented Python Training in Hyderabad now!
Before going further, have a quick rundown of all Python Basics topics:
Watch this Doodle video on What is Python?
Why Learn Python?
Python is a popular programming language that is being used for many applications. Learning Python can be advantageous in many ways. We will explain why you need to learn Python in this section.
- Python skills are crucial to getting a job in the IT industry. From a developer, software engineer, tester to data scientist, machine learning specialist; almost every IT job needs a programming language and Python is a remarkable choice. Anyone with knowledge in Python coding can easily land in their dream jobs. Learning Python is like the initial step towards your career.
- As we already mentioned, It is being used in many fields which means the demand for Python programmers is relatively high.
- According to Payscale, the average salary for a professional with Python skills is $93k per annum. This represents that Python offers high-paid jobs if you have experience in Python.
Python was initially founded in the late 1990s by Guido van Rossum. He decided to create a language in 1989. He wanted to build a programming language that could resolve the issues the programmers were facing at that time. Within 5 years, he released the first version of the Python programming language which not only solves many flaws but he made it with easily readable syntax. Guido van Rossum has named this programming language “Python” in honor of his favorite comedian “The Pythons” in the “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” show.
Although it did not get popular at first after Google announced that it has used Python for its internal development programming, it started getting in-demand. This was a turning point for the Python programming language.
Thereafter, many programmers, developers started using Python as their primary programming language which eventually became the best programming language for any Machine Learning algorithms, Data Science projects, and many more. Today, It is one of the most widely used programming languages for any IT application.
Get 100% Hike!
Master Most in Demand Skills Now !
Why choose Python over any other languages?
Popularity over the years (2004–2017):
When compared to any other high-level programming languages such as C++ and Java, it requires the programmer to develop lesser codes. Python is designed to be simple and easy to read and write.
Python can be utilized for a wide range of applications such as scripting, developing, and testing. Because of its elegance and simplicity, Dropbox, Google, Quora, Hewlett-Packard, and so many other top tech companies have already implemented Python.
With the growing trend of Data Science and Machine Learning, Python has equally become one of the most important scripting languages in the 21st century, because of its wide range of libraries and frameworks.
Read and learn other related topics on Intellipaat’s Online Python Tutorial!
Features of Python
Some of the common features of the Python programming language are:
- Object-Oriented: Python was created with an Object-oriented programming approach which helps in writing clean and clear code. Object-oriented programming can be achieved through Python Class.
- Use of Interpreter: Python codes are interpreted line by line at a time using the Interpreter. This also helps in debugging.
- Free and Open-source: This is a free and open-source programming language so everyone can use it.
- Simple: It is simple to use as it is just like an English sentence resulting in fast coding and execution.
- Can be Integrated: It can be integrated with other programming languages like C, C+, Java, and many more. This will also teach you most of the programming concepts.
- Cross-platform: Python is a cross-platform programming language which means it allows you to use it on any platform like Windows, Linux, Mac, Unix, etc.
- Large library: Python’s ecosystem is large and growing, with a wide range of open-source packages and libraries. There are over 137,000 Python libraries.
- Elegant Syntax: Python has a simple syntax that improves readability and lowers code maintenance costs which makes code elegant and straightforward.
Go for the most professional Online Python Course in Toronto for a stellar career now!
Characteristics of Python Programming
Some of the characteristics of Python programming which make it a popular language are:
- There’s a rich collection of Python Data Types.
- Python is a platform-independent scripted language that comes with features to have complete access to operating system APIs.
- When compared with other programming languages, Python provides more run-time flexibility.
- The basic text manipulation facilities of Awk and Perl are also included in Python.
- There is a Python Module where you can have more than one class and free function.
- Libraries available in Python are cross-platform compatible and can run on platforms such as Windows, Linux, or macOS.
- Python can be easily compiled to byte-code; that’s the reason it is most suitable for building large applications.
- Python also provides features to support functional and structured programming, as well as OOP concepts.
- Python supports an interactive mode that allows interactive testing and debugging for snippets of code.
- In Python, there is no editing, debugging, testing, and compilation steps, so it is very fast.
Looking to Data Science with Python All-in-1 Combo Training? Enroll now!
Applications of Python
Python can be used to develop a variety of applications like:
- Web Applications: Python offers various web development frameworks including Django, Pyramid, Flask, and many more. These frameworks and vast libraries help in making web application processes simple and easy.
- Software Prototypes: Python is an excellent language for developing prototypes, tests, and debugging tools.
- Scientific and Numeric Computing: With Python packages such as Pandas and Numpy, scientific and numeric computing can be done efficiently.
- Network Programming: Python makes it easy to create scripts that automate the configuration of complex networks. For software-defined networking, it is the most widely used programming language.
- Games and 3D Applications: Python is a credible language for creating a simple 3D game using Pygame, making it an effective tool for prototyping.
Learn more about the uses of Python in our blog at Python Applications.
Advantages of Python
Here are some advantages of this Python programming language:
- Python is a high-level programming language with a syntax that is similar to English, making it an easy choice for beginners to understand and learn.
- Python is free and open so that anyone can download and use it right away.
- As the code is simple, the productivity is comparatively higher than other programming languages.
- Python is a system-independent programming language which means you do not need to change your code when using it on different platforms.
- Whenever there is an error, Python halts the coding until the error is resolved. This helps in creating error-free code.
- With numerous Python packages in its vast library helps the users to work on various applications with ease.
Disadvantages of Python
The disadvantages of using Python are mentioned below:
- Python’s structures need additional memory.
- The execution process is relatively slower
- It can lead to run-time errors sometimes.
- It is not the best choice when interacting with databases.
- The processing power of Python is slow compared to other languages.
Once you are done with this tutorial, you can check out the list of Python Interview Questions prepared by the experts, which will help you crack any Python interview. And if you are interested in doing an end-to-end Python Certification Course, Intellipaat has curated just the right course, so that you gain all of the requisite skills in Python programming.