The following will be covered in this blog on the fundamentals of Digital Marketing :
Check out our youtube video tutorial on Digital Marketing:
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing refers to the process of using digital media and creating a customized marketing strategy with an aim to promote the products and services and establish brand awareness amongst the target audience. Digital marketers explore several channels such as E-Mail marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Paid social media platforms, etc.
It has become very important to get the basics right so as to utilize Digital marketing to its fullest. Whether you are a Sole proprietor or a Restaurant owner, a freelancer, or the leader of a large organization, having a fundamental level of knowledge of Digital Marketing is very crucial.
This will help you in further learning the advanced Digital Marketing tools and techniques. Also, if you have an idea of the basics, you will be able to effortlessly manage and implement Digital Marketing strategy in your business.
Let us now move on to the next section of this blog that covers the Digital Marketing fundamentals.
Check out our Digital Marketing tutorial to gain in-depth knowledge on Digital Marketing!
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
Unlike the traditional marketing approach, modern marketing and Digital Marketing have many basic level components which are absolutely essential for running and implementing marketing best practices in today’s world. In fact, the fundamentals of Digital Marketing are also separate domains that have their own set of tools and techniques. Let us explore some of the most common ones:
This is one of the most used fundamentals of Digital Marketing. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is one of the most commonly used tools used by Digital Marketers. It simply refers to the process of increasing the traffic to your website by improving your website and its rank on various search engines like Bing, Google, etc. Usually, whatever content you post on your website, blog portal, etc. should contain the right keywords. By right keywords, we mean those words that people are using to search for a particular product, service, etc.
How does SEO work?
When a user enters a word on the search tab, the search engines use crawlers or bots that crawl each page, visiting site to site on the web to produce results on the SERP (Search Engine Result Page). All the pages are displayed as per ranks on various SERPs. The website links that are displayed on the first SERP are the ones with the right Search Engine Optimization.
The SEO algorithms constantly keep on analyzing pages and rank them based on various ranking parameters and signals. Hence, it is necessary to regularly update the content published on your website and track the search engine rankings.
Types of SEO
There are 3 types of SEO:
- On-page SEO: The type of SEO that works on the content existing “on a web page” is termed On-page SEO. In this type of SEO, the SEO marketer focuses on researching keywords to increase the traffic to the page. Some of the common On-page SEO tactics include answering user queries to rank high on the SERP.
- Off-page SEO: The second type of SEO is “Off-page SEO”, where the SEO marketer focuses on all the actions that can take place “off the web page” to increase the traffic to the current web page. Now you must be wondering how is it possible to work on other things to increase the optimization of another web page. Well, it is possible by using off-page SEO tactics such as adding backlinks to already existing web pages on your current web page. These backlinks are also known as inbound links.
- Technical SEO: Technical SEO refers to the optimizations of websites and servers to assist search engine crawlers in effectively indexing your website to promote an increase in organic rankings. For example, if you are building an XML sitemap for your website, the technical SEO strategy should focus on the proper functioning of all the pages.
Preparing for an SEO Job Interview? Check out our blog on SEO Interview Questions!
Content forms the base of any type of communication or marketing, be it online or offline. Digital Marketing, plays a major role in attracting the right audience. Content Marketing refers to the process of marketing your content across various media through emails, messages, blogs, etc. It is one of the widely used fundamentals of Digital Marketing. One of the crucial factors in the success of your content marketing efforts is quality. The three main parameters in this context are :
- Valuable – The content that you post should add value to the knowledge base of the readers. It must be authentic enough to impress the audience.
- Relevant – The content must satisfy the needs of the readers. It must be related to what they are looking for.
- Consistent – The golden rule of Content Marketing is- “Never stop adding content”. The more the content, the better.
Become a Digital Marketing expert today by practically mastering the fundamentals through an all-in-one Digital Marketing course by Intellipaat.
Not everything comes free. Even though Digital Marketing is considered cheaper, it is never free. Paid Marketing is nothing but paid to advertise. Here, the marketer purchases advertising quota from online platforms such as Facebook, Google, etc. to market the products and services to a specific set of audiences (typically, the target audience). For example, Facebook Ads and Google Ads, etc. allow marketers to advertise on their channels in exchange for a very nominal charge. How well you attract maximum target customers solely depends on your marketing capabilities and skills. Paid marketing is definitely required at some place and at some point in time in your business.
Social Media Marketing
Social Media Marketing refers to the process of marketing your brand, products, and services through social media platforms aiming at targeting the right audience. It involves publishing useful content, customer engagement campaigns, ad campaigns, etc. to build brand awareness, increase sales and drive more traffic to your site. The most common names that come to mind while talking about Social Media Marketing are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram.
How does Social Media Marketing work?
Social Media Marketing is a vital part of any Digital Marketing strategy. Hence it requires a planned process to give the best results. The following are the major focus areas in Social Media Marketing:
- Execution Strategy – You must first design a strategy that includes what are your goals, what tools will be used, who is the target audience etc.
- Planning – Next you need to plan what kind of content, posts, campaigns, etc. will you post to engage the customer.
- Marketing Analytics & Research – Once you are done with the planning, you must conduct market research and identify the customer behavior, trends, patterns, etc. so that you can spend the resources on the right thing.
- Final Advertising – After all the preparatory steps, finally start publishing content, advertising products, services, etc, launch ad campaigns, and more.
- Monitor – After advertising, regularly monitor the performance of the posts, ads, etc so that you can rectify if there are any mistakes.
Email marketing refers to the process of sending mailers to the target and potential customers for the purpose of marketing products, driving sales, and building brand image. One thing that needs to be noted here is that- nobody likes receiving constant emails from any company until and unless it is of some use to them. Hence, email marketing helps in identifying the right emails for the right people and sharing them at the right intervals. Last but not the least, Email marketing does not mean randomly bombarding customers’ inboxes with emails.
This is one of those fundamentals of Digital Marketing that have gained immense popularity in fetching more audience. Mobile Marketing means carrying out marketing and promotional activities via smartphones of the consumers. These days, all mobile devices are smartphones and have facilities like high-speed internet support, location enabled, multiple applications support, etc. Hence Mobile Marketing uses these facilities to market products through push notifications, mobile-optimized ads, etc. For example- If a woman is standing near a shop that sells fashion accessories, the shop can send push notifications regarding the latest running offers to the woman.
Affiliate/ Influencer Marketing
Affiliates or Influencers are people who have a huge influence and presence over social media or the internet. These people usually have millions of followers and fan clubs etc. Now, affiliate/influencer marketing means promoting a brand, product, or service through these affiliates or influencers in exchange for a certain commission. Companies pay commissions to these affiliates and in return, they recommend the company’s offerings to their followers. For example- An affiliate can post a link on his/her site recommending the users to purchase products. The link would be unique as sometimes users also get promotional discounts if they purchase using the same link shared by the affiliate.
So, the above were some of the fundamentals of Digital Marketing that everyone should know. If you are fresher thinking of starting a career in Digital Marketing, this blog is a must-read to have basic knowledge before you move on to advanced level training.
Preparing for a Job Interview? Check out our blog on Digital Marketing Interview Questions!
In this blog, we discussed all the fundamentals of Digital Marketing such as Social Media Marketing, Email Marketing, Paid Marketing, etc. For those who used to think all these terms mean the same or simultaneously used Digital Marketing and these names together, we hope this blog has clarified some of the myths regarding the same.